1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, Please Read This

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Advikaz, Jun 21, 2020.

1. It’s not a dig guys

I’ve been at the motorsport game since the age of 8. I’ve buried enough friends.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Put me right off trackdays then would probably only done the 1. Think I'll stick to riding trials bikes, well when I say riding it's more controlled wobbling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Truly tragic news.

Brings home the dangers of something we all love.

One mistake, one mechanical failure at the wrong time and things can go very bad, very quickly.

My thoughts to Ben’s family and friends.

A good post @Advikaz - well put and we should never tire of being reminded - let’s all stay safe out there and look after each other - needs drilling into trackday culture.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. So sorry to read this. Condolences to the families.

5. Tracks are bad enough when things go wrong but recently I've seen too many bikers using the public roads like a track, and a few near misses, mostly due to poor observation and overtaking in inappropriate places. It might also help if some bikers could get over their obsession with the width of their (and others') chicken strips.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I appreciate now is not the time but I would like to know the cause of the accidents. Not in a macabre why but so I can educate myself to try to not put myself or others in a similar position.

I'm not sure of the most sensitive way to achieve this.

As I say though, now is not the time.

Thank you @Advikaz for bringing it to our attention and sorry for your loss.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. @Advikaz, I read the news of it earlier. So sad that this can be the outcome on what is essentially a fun event.
    Having attended many days at Spa and the Ring in both leisure and in a tuitorial role, when there has been these sad losses on two and four wheeled days. It really does grate at me that so many cases are down to actions that could be avoided. Yes there can always be the freak instances or mechanical failures but it can and could be avoided in many cases.
    Last year at Spa we had a guy die while his wife was sat next to him in the pax seat. She walked away, so sad!
    Still one of the main issues is chasing times, cars and bikes all do it. It is not a race or time trial, I honestly do not know what terminal speeds are reached on two wheel events but modern machinery has so much potential for big numbers. Trackdays at the Ring turn 1 can be a flat out 200mph corner in the right car with or without a good driver. Close proximity of vehicles on events can carry big speed differences wherever the event is held.
    Stay safe guys, look ahead and expect the unexpected. Slower guys stay where you are and be predictable.
    Too many guys are taking a ride to the Pearly gates of late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Have a feeling the words chicken strips does it no favours either

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. You can choose to either engage with it or not. Bike-culture is weird in Britain these days, it's not about what it used to be about (transport, bit of fun / racing) and a lot of people if you get talking to them get so embroiled in the "bigger faster" aspects that they can lose sight of the joy of it. I think that the post above (@LiveFast...... ) that encourages "taking care of each other" is spot on, and there needs to be much more of that sentiment.

The original post from @Advikaz pretty much said it all really. Less ego and more humility, mindfulness and more care. Awful news.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Agree...respect each other no medals or prizes just enjoy

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Unfortunately No Limits had posted on FB about the heavy no's of Red flags in the Fast Group at Donny on Saturday, I had hoped that this would be seen as a warning to all. Having listened to Tommy Bridewells interview with BSN mentioning that he was doing 4 TD's before the start of the delayed season as a warm up, made me wonder if some of the other Pro's were doing the same pre-season training too.

@doogalman To give you an idea of 2 wheel speeds on straights, I regularly reached between 170- 180MPH on the back straight at Motorland Aragon. Others may be faster on the 1.2Kilometer straight. Another example is Michele Pirro (Ducati MGP Test rider) crashed at the end of the Mugello start/ finish straight at approx 300KPH and walked away back in 2018. Sadly others at lesser speeds haven't been so lucky.

RIP Ben Godfrey.

• Like Like x 1
  12. It’s shit news.

@final_edition got wiped out in what sounds a similar way I think. Luckily not as terrible an outcome.

I’ve had quite a few occasions where last ,I tore pits has nearly caught me from rider in front, thankfully I have aslways greyed the entry to track as a place stupid people join without looking and worst that happened is wide into T1 a few times.

Condolences to the family & friends.

13. Thoughts and Prayers.

Rex

14. Couple of mates were up at Oulton last week and NL had to put an announcement out on the PA reminding people that it's a track day and not a race test day.
    Appears to be a lot of riders trying to pack a lot in to the few TD's that have now become available.
    Horrible news, take care peps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. How can the problem be solved where riders begin the day in the wrong group? If a guy can claim he is fast just because he thinks he is then he enters himself into the fast group. This can be a problem when he is on track with real fast riders and the speed differential is potentially fatal.
    Mandatory transponders isn’t a perfect solution in the first fast session of the day.
    So how to solve it?

16. Nearly every bike had a race numbr at oulton park last week in the paddock.

17. Not many companies seen to do transponder days now, focussed events did them quite alot and were good.

18. I suppose this is where as riders we need to leave our egos in the paddock and as organisers MSV/NL etc need to have instructors ready to yank people they see who are clearly in the wrong group and have a word with anyone they think is borderline to confirm they’re in the right group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. One of the best track days I did was a road bike only day at donington. Dont think there was a red flag all day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Since Adams post about Air Bags last week, its something that has got me thinking, and now this! Not just for Track, road use too. It will be a purchase high on my shopping list, as it can only help in a positive way.

Tragic news when any rider gets killed, so sorry to hear this. RIP

• Agree Agree x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information