1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, Please Read This

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Advikaz, Jun 21, 2020.

1. This was what they also said.

2. It was a full of racers. Ok most of them were in the fast group but I spoke to a few lads who couldn't get into the fast group when booking and they filtered down into inters and even novice just to get track time

3. Big problem - right there!

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Really sad news this.

I've been fortunate to have never been on a trackday when someone has lost their life, but I’ve seen plenty of incidents that could have led to the loss of life.

As in all walks of life there are people out there who just don't think or just don't see danger. I work in the construction industry and some people never develop hazard awareness skills, it sounds unbelievable but it's true. Some people will climb into a 6m deep excavation with no side wall support and not think anything of it.

I’ve been on trackdays where you have mates teaching mates, so slow guy in fast group with his faster mate, I nearly smashed into him at full chat coming out of barn as he was looking back for his mate to catch him up. I’ve been at a track where a guy had a brain condition, if his head overheated he passed out, so he went out with an ice pack in his helmet and would pit when he started loosing vision! I know of groups of people who camp or meet up the night before, get shit faced, and race each other the next day. I saw novice pull out of the pits at Cadwell, thought he was a hero, pulled back the throttle and high sided from cold tyres in front of everyone! A young kid on a gixer one day, topless and no helmet, went for the noise test and on his way back to his car attempted the land speed record in the pits, hit some oil, lost it and took out three bikes and a trailer. Fortunately it was only the young kids that was hurt, but it could have been much worse.

It's a dangerous sport and we all take our chances. There are idiots out there and I guess the organisers do all they can to weed those out. It’s just about being as safe as you can and remembering your limits and that you’re there to have some fun.

I’ll be starting back trackday riding very soon and I’m very nervous about it. I’m a fastish rider but as I’ve not done it for such a long time I’ll have to start from the bottom and take my time. I’m hoping to meet with like minded people who are there for some fun, so it is fun and I get to improve my riding ability.

RIP

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I think there is plenty that could be done to make trackdays safer and I would welcome the discussion, but in this particular case it would be more sensitive to withhold judgement as to what caused the accident until more details appear.

There was a now deleted post on the trackday addicts facebook group yesterday that started a similar discussion with regards to the accident and a very angry and upset friend and fellow racer made it clear that the accident was due to mechanical failure and not racers being on track - excess closing speed etc.

The friend and others were very unhappy at the speculation that the accident was down to unsafe practices or lack of proper grouping, especially the inference that racers shouldn’t be using trackdays as practice sessions.

For obvious reasons, given the raw emotions the post was deleted and as we do not know if there are other members on here who may have personal connections to those involved, perhaps it would be best to create a new thread to debate the various safety aspects in a more generic way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Motorsport is dangerous, we know the risks. Law of probability, something tragic happens, luckily its few and far between.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. i was on Assen last week, and it was the first track day (2020)for many there ( after the normal rounds of chatting etc)
    It is always a concern when on track the difference in speed for those exiting pitlane and joining the session, and the other danger on trackdays seems to be people riding with mates then slowing down on straights to let the slower rider catch up.
    this has also resulted in serious injury's etc on Oschersleben for example..
    condolences to the families involved

8. Indeed, my post was aimed at people hopefully taking a second thought and thinking about the bigger picture. Going home to their families safe and taking the right precautions and understanding our vulnerability.

@LiveFast...... I know Bob C fairly well, I’m aware of that Facebook post despite no longer being on Facebook myself. A shame it came to that.

it is human nature to try and understand what happened, especially for us riders. But this perhaps not the thread at this time to go in to such details

#48 Advikaz, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. We were very clearly warned over the pit tannoy pre-event briefing that previous days riding standards were not acceptable. Even then the sighting sessions were red-flagged. Then this in Fast session two.
    Something very strange was happening at Donington yesterday, in all groups.
    I cannot imagine how NL deal with this kind of thing, let alone the family of that young fella.
    If NL allow it, I'll be donating my "credit" to his family so they can do the right thing.
    Back out at Brands next Monday with a heavy heart and maximum awareness.

#49 Paul55, Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  10. seen it way too many times. Guys doing sub-50 round brands Indy and in novice. A couple of guys at Cadwell a few years ago lapping everyone at least twice all morning before NL did anything. Messy. Same with inters.

there’s a guy at Ducati days who’s the opposite. Old 996 with a Ventura. Always in fast. Barely inters pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fucking stupid really. They should have a maximum lap time speed and anyone over that should automatically be in fast group. You can’t have BSB pace on a non-competitive track day.

Problem with bikers are, a large majority are thick as pig shit and are selfish, don’t think of the bigger picture. Not all but a lot....

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I watched `brookes on a trackday and cadwell a few years ago. No prisoners taken!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Whilst they are professional riders and very capable, they would take any gap and that surprises people and they freak out....

A racers gap to overtake is very different to a guy who does 5-10 trackdays a year.....

It’s about common courtesy....

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. It’s what they don’t get. Many riders, even club racers sometimes, think 4ft is inches when being passed. Especially at full pace: which can be massive mph difference.

15. In racing 4 inches is ample as you know mate. You tend to know the guys around you and understand their general behaviour.

On trackdays it’s a gamble as there’s such a vast difference in ability and experience.

for me I have no issue with close passes, but I wouldn’t expect it to be considered the norm on trackdays as it’s bound to end in tears.

it’s just riding with respect, some riders absolutely poo themselves when you overtake them, I try and make it as clean and as least ‘jumpy’ as possibly.

I do maintain though that most crashes aren’t racers ! But I do concede that stark differentials in pace is a problem for sure, and it’s difficult to balance as every day is different.
    Arguably chrono/timing would sort this out... but also a byproduct of this is that the first few sessions end up being like superpole !

#55 Advikaz, Jun 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. I've never done a track. I think I'd be too poor a rider and too slow, so I don't tbh. I'd be worried about taking a wrong line or something and causing an accident.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I've often heard this about Donny.

18. Thing with Donington is they’re one of the few tracks that run noisy days, which does unfortunately also attract a certain type of clientele ..

Like the 1000cc club .. who seem to be a major contributor to crash barriers and gravel traps all over the country. They’re the stereotypical hoody over leathers brigade who cannot ride for toffee. Massive ego’s for no real reason and they’re exceptionally bothered about what their mates think of them

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Use transponders and live timing screens, like DG Sports. Group changes made at midday. It doesn't matter how fast you think you are... you are in the group you deserve to be in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DO NL not use transponders for UK days?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information