1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing Exhausts. (sc Project Full System)

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by comfysofa, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Cool. I'll check tomorrow...

2. Like this comfy

s-l1600.jpg

3. XDPB908-Clear-Lacquer-Double-Acrylic.jpg

4. I'll take a pic of it all reassembled tomorrow, I did swing arm pinch bolts, 6 sprockets nuts (used cloth on them to torque up), both wheel nuts (masked wheel and sprayed 55mm wheel nuts in situ) and front brake caliper bolts. All came up really good

#24 Wayne58, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2018
  5. please make sure you use glasses with that wire wheel as it throws bits off:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agree XH, but no where near as much as the steel ones, they are shite, the brass ones are softer so flex rather than snap and fling into your face :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I was lucky enough many years ago to work in a forge fabricating all sorts of things and got bits in my eyes,,so saftely first for me now:upyeah:

8. Evening All, saw this post and raided the missus's cupboard cos she had some! a typical shite pic from me but having spent all day jetwashing in the rain the patio etc I needed some light relief so headed out to the garage and tried the stuff, my Austin exhaust is titanium but butts to original downpipes, so grabbed a brush put some on and left for 10, then with metal autoglym polish not solvol and a well worn Scottish pad I rubbed it off, it works well and removed the stains and browny colour on parts, so pretty simple and a decent result, for those tough downpipes without removing to polish you can get with little effort a better look.
    If it doesnt stop raining soon I am going to go nuts...

IMG_0400.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Thanks mate, kind words (truth be told, was merely paraffin/paint brush on the sprocket), but just to add, the wheel nuts are stainless, and came up real nice, but there are many ways to skin this particular cat, I was merely using one of them.... :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. That's ok....a lot of the fixings are already stainless or ti....forewarned and all that!...

12. 409BDF95-770C-46A4-82CF-DB34DFAD60B9.jpeg My last attempt, a bench grinder and polishing wheel

• Like Like x 3
  13. That's ok....a lot of the fixings are already stainless or ti....forewarned and all that!...

14. While I'm still monumentally pissed off about the engine failure I'm quite excited about talking all the other jobs that I've always wanted to get sorted out..!

• Like Like x 1
  15. http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/

The packs come with instructions and they are really helpful to speak to

Watch the spinning chuck on the drill doesn't hit the exhaust as it will mark it really easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I bought a polishing kit from the polishingshop and after the brass brush used it on the pipes of my Scrambler. They came up like chrome and once the pipes are polished it is much easier to keep them shiney, only needing a light polish with Autosol every month or two to stay that way.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. I used one of those kits that has wheels, mops and lumps of stuff that looks like soap to buff up my 916's 50's. Mounted on a drill held in a vice. Took me ages and created a hell of a mess. Seriously, a hell of a mess. From that point on I figured I'd pay someone else to do it if I needed to again. I looked like a coal miner afterwards.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Agree on getting it polished and then giving it a regular once over to keep it that way.
    Autosol will work but I recommend you try Autoglym liquid metal polish.
    Imho, it gives a better finish more easily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. On really rusty / heavily stained steel headers and downpipes using Harpic really will make your job far easier and quicker, be warned though it contains Hydrochloric Acid, making sure you wear gloves and goggles goes without saying, but also make sure you cover any other parts of the bike you wouldn't want it touching etc. Doing it once is fine but I wouldnt recommend using it regularly.
    Once done then polishing them to a stunning shine using the usual Autosol (which I also use regularly) or I also use a couple of other metal polishes that yeild superb results but aren't as aggressive and great to help protect and maintain the finish..

Peek metal polish is awesome, Sometimes available at Costco around £13 for a huge pot applied by hand or by machine gives awesome results...
    20170210_104225.jpg
    20170210_105229.jpg
    20170210_105553.jpg
    20170210_110335.jpg

Another highly recommended metal polishes are known as the Britemax Metal Twins,
    britemax-metal-twins-8oz.jpg
    These are liquid polishes and once you've used the more aggressive polish the fine finishing polish is also a sealant so helps protect your hard work, it's a great alternative product especially for maintaining the finish..Ive used this a lot on 100s of engines..
    20150515_151009.jpg
    These polishes are also great on other types of metals and finishes..
    20160901_085701.jpg
    20160901_090858.jpg

Just my 2pence worth on a few other alternatives that are great to have, Once you've achieved the finish you want then maintenance is a doddle with the above metal polishes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. @Hishine thanks for that - I just ordered some Peeks - I have never heard of it but your pics look fantastic. Only problem is I can't remember where I've parked the Ferrari

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information