1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"popping Up" Under Breaking

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cream_Revenge, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Or to turn the original question on its head, why do you crouch when riding?
    You seem to be arguing that the effect of the body outside the fairing bubble is negligible. If that is true for braking, it is true everywhere.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I got it, make leathers like a wing suit that gliding skydivers use. Lift your elbows and catch the wind

3. What could possibly go wrong?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Different. Drag I'd a massive issue in gaining speed. And you accelerate for a greater distance than deceleration.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Dunno, bad idea eh

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. You do realise that increasing braking and reducing acceleration are essentially the same force, operating against the direction of travel, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. At least when you sit up you can see better lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The contribution to deceleration gained from “drag” by “popping up” is probably small in percentage terms when compared to engine braking or using the brakes, but it’s there and it’s free so why not use it?, I guess that different levels of “drag” can be attained depending on the type of dress actually being worn, I.e a queen Victoria type ball gown would generate more drag than a Twiggy style mini skirt?.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. If sitting up was so amazing at stopping a 200mph motorcycle why do racers these days it sit bolt upright for maximum drag.

The answer, I've decided , is to brace for braking.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. I disagree, I think Victoria was more mourning dress than ballgown?

11. I won then. Defer to me on all things in future, saves a lot of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Gripping on with the knees too, for dear life

• Agree Agree x 1

13. Don’t be trying anything new. You need to keep that Blade pristine for its next owner....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. OP have you been drinking on this fine Sunday? :)

- Popping up straight into the wind resistance makes a big difference.
    - As well as the wind resistance, some force will always go through the bars and holding yourself up almost straight armed is way easier that holding yourself with arms bent 90 degrees like when tucked. Try holding a pressup straight armed and then bent armed....

- Its difficult to do on the Panigales skinny tank but I reckon supporting myself as much as possible with my legs clamped onto the tank during braking takes about a third off of my braking distance. It certainly does on my R6 that is easier to do it on. My theory is it is due to the lower angle of the force from clamping legs on the tank instead of using your arms on the bars that is what helps.
    -

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ok, my point I guess is most us mere mortals pop-up WAY to much and I think it's survival instincts and 'cos we saw Foggy do it on telly.

Watch today's Moto GP, they hardly sit up at all compared to 99% of riders, go look next track day, most riders are hardly even in tuck apart from the main straight (fast group probably an exception).

Why don't GP boys sit up more then, their heads only just go above the screen?

With regards bracing for deceleration, the flatter your arms the easier it will be, if you sit up high then you'll pitch forward.

It's unnatural to stay low in braking, it will take time to learn, like getting your arse off the seat, knee down, elbow down, chin to bars, all take a conscious effort to achieve and go against survival instincts.

16. Yes mostly. But I’d imagine they also use as a gauge to speed

17. They don’t tuck in to start with tho matey

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Check the riding style. It is that different. And Keith code was teaching the riding style (hanging off, head and elbow low) before Marquez was a speck in his dads pants.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Go to the kitchen, hands on worktop facing worktop, stand so your arms are at a 45 deg angle and have someone push you from behind.

Then lower yourself so your arms are horizontal and have someone push you from behind,.
    Possibly higher gives a better speed perception.

Maybe a clearer view without looking through screen and round fairing helps.

20. Experiment. Long road. Keep head down, shit has, don’t brake, see where you stop. Then same speed, same gas off, but with you chest and head up. See where you stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information