1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"popping Up" Under Breaking

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cream_Revenge, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Agree, bet it makes very little difference.

2. At this point, what % of breaking is being achieved buy being sat up 12" and what % the Brembo's?

Check the forearms, dead flat.

Screenshot_20180923-184602_Gallery.jpg

3. I guess what I need to take from this for the TD riding going forward is to keep low, and just pop up over the screen, keep arms flat and don't be a meerkat.

It will take practice to get over the survival instincts.

4. Track days are just for fun though. So do it how you like, enjoy it and be safe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Top Tip Guys! Rather than spend £400 on a new Brembo Radial master just sit up a bit more :upyeah:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Second top tip from creamy, keep your head really low and obscure your vision :upyeah:

7. What they need to do next is replace the solid plastic either side of the screen with clear plastic so you can see more :upyeah:

8. Tbh fella, how can you compare one of the best riders ever, e.v.e.r. , with you average novice td guy?!

Are you sub 2’30 at Silverstone yet? If not, I’d be working on other stuff before I start redesigning how people ride. Tbh and with all the best will :upyeah:

Although gotta live seeing a bike riding thread :upyeah:

9. Go buy a zx10r ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. What's a reasonable time round Snetterton on a 18 yr old blade? 2:20?

11. Well, with 2002 monster 62 hp, road tyres, no warmers, 170kg bike and 110kg rider, I have done a 2”16. So sub 2’10 really

• Like Like x 1
  12. Like most things if your racing even if the actual braking effect of sitting up is even <0.1% its worth doing as the difference between wining and losing at elite levels are down to very narrow margins. As my missus says every little helps :confused:

On a bicycle the difference between riding on the hoods and the drops depending on wind speed can be ~5mph top speed for me at ~20+mph.. A motorbike adds an additional 200% in weight (more for racing whippets) so at slow speeds it will have minimal benefit. At higher speeds it has a bigger impact.. race teams spend a fortune on reducing drag to shave of ms, save fuel which means they can run at lower weight etc. so it stands reason sitting up will have a negative impact on total speed and efficiency

They fit air brakes to cars which have less engine braking and are heavier so why bother? according to the marketing men the air brake on a bugatti veyron adds a maximum of 0.6G (>25%) to deceleration when braking from 200kmh; that is also in part to increased downforce to be fair: so the science suggests although it might not help visibility or body position you'd get the best braking from body position by sticking your arse in the air - i look forward to hearing how you get on with it cream_revenge.. :p

in contrast to the veyron, popping up on a bike would have the opposite effect of downforce as it will make the bike/rider lighter as it will apply a lifting force to the chest and head.

• Like Like x 1
  13. It will also have the effect of moving your weight back a bit assistng in keeping the rear down. Although if you 'pop up' a bit much your weight will also raise the COG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. also remember the braking forces experienced are rotating around the front wheel rather then just a simple parallel force to the ground.
    the core strength of a Motogp rider who trains every day will enable him to use maximum braking effect and still keep his body position low and tight.
    you and i will be shaking somewhat similar to doing a half press-up after one or two corners i would guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. And the Darwin award goes to.........

16. You lot all signed up to the flat earth society?

17. Can somebody please post up the link that says "in emergency braking situations make sure you make yourself really big" because I can't find one.

I recon for GP guys it's:
    1: bracing for braking
    2: vision
    3: slows you down a tiny bit
    4 : everyone else does it

For us mortals:
    1: survival instincts
    2: the racers do it/everyone else does it
    3: better vision
    4: bracing for braking
    5: slows you down a lit (but 99.999% seem to think this is reason 1)

• Love You Love You x 1
  18. Creamy :worried::upyeah:

19. Still plugging on the all or nothing model then eh. You need to stop reading any of the political posts on here fella: by osmosis ‘so what you’re saying is’ is creeping in :eyes:

Try staying tucked in and turning. G’wan :bomb:

If the body doesn’t slow you down, why bother with aerodynamics and tucking in to start with? Go ride a bike without a fairing, see how you get on above 80....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information