1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"popping Up" Under Breaking

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cream_Revenge, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Don't be a twat, your better than that.

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. I see the disagree count going exponential....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yes, in conjunction with - so slowing (bracing and wind resistance) and vision (something you are lacking) :bucktooth:

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  4. Do you think that racers need maximum braking ALL the time? They don't, they don't "need" any (small) effect that sitting up may cause due to drag the majority of the time. The point of braking is not to stop but to set the speed for the corner.

How often on a Sunday ride out do you brake so hard you need the extra effect of drag? It's other reasons you sit up.

The whole point of this thread was I always thought sitting up was to slow a rider down, but watching the racers I thought that was wrong.

5. Ok. I'll try.

Drag is a retardation force acting against the direction of travel.
    Braking is a retardation force acting against the direction of travel.

If it's worth crouching to reduce drag so that you are not slowed by it, it is worth "popping up" to increase drag to assist with slowing down whilst braking.

You can argue that the amount of additional braking is small, but we all address tiny differences all the time, like shedding a kg of weight, adding a couple of BHP and shaving a second off our laptimes. Assisting the brakes using drag makes sense, it can help delay overheating the braking system - disks and fluid.

In other words, popping up is all gain and no pain.

Are we there yet?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm still yet to see the link to a web page saying in order to stop quickly you need to make yourself a sail.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Safe space time! : o )

8. Drag squares with velocity, so the faster you are going, the more effective sitting up becomes. Thus for us normalish peeps on the road, it likely negligable. But at appreciable velocities that racers achieve prior to braking, the effect of drag is much more marked.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Pirro wasn't slowing down much sat up. He wasn't relying on drag.

10. That that settles it. C_R was right all along!

Sorry I (and the physical universe) doubted you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. "Dear Mr Pirro
    Next time you have no brakes, rather than panic and grab a handful, just sit up a bit more.
    Love
    Ducatiforum.co.uk"

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. He sat up. his bum cheeks were clinging that tightly to the seat when the wind got under his chest and lifted the whole bike - wow :eek: bit like kite surfing :):upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. That nearly happened to me once but you don't care, you just want to screw up people's serious threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ah, soz, it's often hard to tell which are serious - like: where are we now, seriously? :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stop picking on my mate Liz :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Soz? Liz? Why are these people and why is Elise harassing them too?

17. See what I mean, Elise ruins every serious thread.

18. Yeah but in fairness you said breaking, and surely farting as you enter a corner is unhelpful? Acts against the BRAKES.

19. I won last night.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ah, cool, page 9 and we are serious (after my post 2 which closed the thread off) until Creamy went doolally that is :worried:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information