1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche 911 Rip

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HyperMac, Aug 5, 2019.

1. One I built from a beetle in 1987 The wheelbase is actually 6 1/2" shorter than a beetle ,as that's how much I cut from the centre. Covin. Fitted a 2.4 litre 911 flat six mated to beetle gearbox. My old Covin.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. I look like him with his face on inside out

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. That shouts Essex girl in your face;)

4. edited for correctness :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. So i work with these things all day long.... all 992 are wide bodied and would you believe 45mm wider at the rear than the 991.2 and 44mm wider at the front! thats porsche for you though...

One of the experiences you can do is drive a 993 then a 996 then a 991.2/992...its amazing how nostalgic we are about the older cars but i know which one id rather be in!

The 992 weight increase is for the majority to do with preparedness to make it a hybrid. All the infrastructure is there ready particularly between the engine and gearbox to accept the hybrid technology yet they have still managed to move the engine 15mm forward.

The 992 has a howl of an exhaust note certainly more akin to the normally aspirated cars...

The gear lever is dead! there is what looks like a lady shave sitting there for forward of back.. but the car is that technical it just sorts out which gear you need and when far smoother and quicker than the average billy...

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. 1974_porsche_911_carrera_rsr_turbo-032_mh.jpg

1974_porsche_911_carrera_rsr_turbo-012_mh.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Big fan club in my Family :confused:
    My dad's first one was a gen 1 997 c4s which I hated, it stank, rattled and the only time you got any euphoria out of it was when you hit about 6.5k and it properly sung.
    Mum has a Boxster 2.7 which I thought wonderful to drive but biggest let down ever as soon as you touch the pedal.
    So that far into it I wasn't too impressed by the old Porches but my Dad got this last year new and it's bloody ridiculous. Looks gorgeous and I love the smile it puts on his face when he takes it for a track day or a simple 05.30 drive to work.
    In my opinion a perfect combination for myself would be a V4S Corse and one of these. Think I'd be pretty much set there.
    Nout wrong with dreaming Bondy...

2736063432313274513.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. They haven’t got the lines quite so perfect since the chrome bumper long bonnet variant.

Quite like the 914 though.

9. I had a 964. It wasn’t particularly quick by today’s standards . The pedals a bit offset ,so not that comfortable to drive. It rattled a bit. The handling took a bit of getting used to. It leaked oil really well.

But , I loved it. The noise it made. How it looked. Every drive was a magical event.

My 996 turbo was just , bland.
    Big waste of money TBH

• Like Like x 3
  10. image.jpeg

Progress can often divide opinion, and in doing so creates interest. Hard to fault the Porsche product line up currently and the new model looks great to me..but I'd be equally happy to own the last of the 993 air cooled 911's.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ferrari have just announced what is likely to be their last V8 powered car too, i believe.

12. Money no object I'd have to have a Singer 911

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Damn good sewing machines.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. 996 Turbo bland? I heard others say it's the best bang for buck if your soley concerned with speed?

15. 450 plus hp...1300kgs...not sure bland is a word I’d ever use...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Great car. Mezger lump too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Test pilot.:yum

‘A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the plane again’:D

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Sounds daft I know , but bland because it is just too good. Clinical almost. You have to be doing insane speeds just to get a kick from it.
    A very very capable car in any situation , but not exciting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information