1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Leak

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Carr01, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Many times I imagine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bloomin ek, I recently tig welded a new fuel tap boss on the bottom of my Triton alloy tank.
    :) I'm still here.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bet you emptied the tank first, ya sissy!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I meant tank liner. I've used the sealer on one tank, the liner on 3.

Brazing is another popular option.

Empty tank first

• Like Like x 2
  5. :thinkingface: all these options are possible, was just thinking of easiest route maybe depending on O.P. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I dealt with a Kawasaki ZX10 tank small leak a number of years ago.....it was seeping from a bottom seam, so I emptied the tank, filled it with boiling water/fairy liquid mix, gave it a good shake about and let it stand, until it had cooled down.

Turned the tank upside down and silver soldered the leak using a small blowlamp.

Touched up the paint with a brush.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I’m pretty sure everyone knows this, but emptying the tank is not enough, to make working on the tank with a potential ignition source safe, you need to thoroughly clean out the tank otherwise it will be full of fuel vapour and highly explosive, the way that Al cleaned out any remaining fuel with boiling water and detergent sounds ideal, just sayin! (For example there was someone on this forum not so long ago that thought he could dry his bike with a hot air gun :0 ,so it’s always best to fully explain, just in case! )

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. ^ If we are going to go to that area, I ought to add that no amount of cleaning a tank, particularly an old tank, absolutely guarantees that it is safe for welding. You could leave that tank for a week, particularly in the summer and it could still be dangerous . Just about the only way to do this safely is to flood the tank with inert gas constantly while welding. Did many like this with no problems whatsoever.

#28 Chris, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Would Hydrogen be an ideal gas to use Chris?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. no! You can google to make sure it’s inert, even a pub canister of carbon dioxide would do but I used to use Argon as money wasn’t a problem back then.

11. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Just remember if you do buy a secondhand one of Ebay it will probably be in the same condition as yours because of the age & possibly a different shade of red.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. £475 inc shipping, or a morning, £25 for Por Patch, £12 for clear coat, £12 for a rattle can, £12 for spray filler, £5 for wet & dry, £5 for T.cut.

Magic money trees grow in Manchester!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. .....said the Gallagher brothers.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Actual footage:

[​IMG]

16. You would be hard pressed to make a SS look uglier.

17. I'd sell my repaired one for less than that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information