1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Possibly Thinking Of Selling 749.

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by DoctorW, Oct 18, 2017.

1. and this one......

• Like Like x 1
  2. I fully intend to write up the test ride on this very forum. I've now got 30 years experience riding Ducatis and have 10 years and 50'000 kms on a 999, so I reckon I can produce a fairly realistic evaluation.

I agree with what you say: secondhand 999s are peanuts and 749s even less. Not really worth selling such a nice one. Think "add bike" not "replace bike"...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. WOW!!! :motorcycleduc::heart: :upyeah:

4. I’ve only ever had problems with neck ache on my 999 - wrists are just fine.
    However I seem to have found both the problem and the cure.
    It’s the helmet that’s causing the problem. I take a large size, so have the biggest shell, this means my head sits further into it and I have to lift my head more as a result in order to see. Also, I realised the helmet lining was restricting my view even further, forcing me to lift my head even more. No wonder I was getting neck pain!
    So, first step was to reposition the lining and second was to put some neoprene tape under the lining in the top of the helmet to lift the helmet a little on my head.
    Now I don’t need to lift my head anything like as much and the neck ache is gone.
    Yay

• Like Like x 5
  5. Something needing no adjustment or expense is reavaluating how you are riding the bike.
    Using your core body strength and gripping the tank with your knees/ thighs to take any weight off the bars will make a huge difference to comfort and how the bike handles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Going faster makes the bike more comfortable too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. This is very true indeed. Sadly, the 999 comfort zone is basically illegal unless you're on a motorway, and even then...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Agree re how you ride makes a big difference to the enjoyment. When it gels i love the bike - i need to remind myself sometimes to put a bit of effort in if you know what i mean (arry). Its not a bike to just "ride" around on - doesnt necessarily need ragging, but does want "putting" into bends etc more or less at any speed. The leg cramping is a bit of a pia, although in hind sight i have no real issue with the bars / wrist ache. I think getting the seat covered with some kind of alcantara (? spelling) would be useful and a basic suspension set up. Bike gets serviced this winter so will ask my mechanic to whip the seat off (not sure whip is the right word - never known such a pia operation just to remove a seat) and look into improving that. Will leave most other stuff alone until i see him - I'm loath to mess with the left footpeg for fear of screwing up the quick shifter which works a treat!! I'll not be doing that many miles before year end (got me sv1000s also) so will just live with it. The thought of a zzr1400 is vety tempting, but I'm sure I'll then miss the 749 wotk of art.

9. 7 bolts and seat unit is off. Then another 4 to remove plastic from seat. It's about 15 mins top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Oh ok - thought you had to mess about with fuel lines / airbox et al? Again, shows my lack of skills. Where's that bloody manual gone lol

11. remove seat cowl with key.
    2 bolts under seat cowl at back near exhaust.
    2 bolts either side for seat. 1 is horizontal in middle of seat the other is under seat going vertically up at the back.
    When those 6 are out the whole rear plastics, seat and tank will lift (lift by the seat, not the rear plastic) and will pivot/fulcrum where the tank sits in the front of the frame. Lift it about 4 inches and you can slide a bit of 4"x2" under the seat above the frame to prop it up.
    Then their is one big bolt (guess 22mm) that attached the tank to the seat. Undo this and the seat and rear plastics all come away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IMAG0008.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks all:cool::cool:

14. Bah.
    It's easier just to remove the bike from the seat rather than the seat from the bike.

It isn't rocket surgery but it is faffy : o )

• Like Like x 1
  15. I agree ...the gear you wear can add to the uncomfortability (not sure if thats a word!) problems, when I first got my 999S and rode it for the first time it nearly f@cking killed my neck muscles and I thought there's no way I can keep this bike it was so uncomfy...gradually I came to realise that it was a combination of helmet and stiff leather collar on my jacket that was causing the issues, forcing my neck into an unnatural contortion, tried a different jacket first with a lower softer collar and found there wasn't really a problem...persevere mate, you wont regret it, even though I've just parted company with mine they are a cracking bike....:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yes. I have also removed the foam from the inside of my otherwise over-plump jacket collar, which was contributing to the problem. It all adds up.

17. @DoctorW

Do you remember where you got your rear seat cowl from?

Thanks

18. Also, are they the DP mirrors?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information