1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Preload - On Rhs Fork Leg

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Hey Gareth @broke, divide your weight by 15kg, and wind in from fully anti clockwise that number multiplied 360 degrees. Not teaching you to suck eggs, but example, 90kgs in clothes and boots etc. So 90kg divide 15kg is 6. So 6 full 360 degree turns in from fully out. :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. FPMSL thought thats what you were referring too!!!

3. Too harsh for the bumpy UK B roads! Maybe for the track, but I'm not sure I fancy taking a £15K bike on track..!

4. There are two triangles FFS, one on 19mm bolt, and one on the outer ring. Just to illiviate confusion :grinning:

5. Why? Multi's are good on track, give it a go, you'll surprise a few of those arse in the air boys!! And 15k or not, you only gotta push on as far as you want to eh :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. which is great if it lines up when fully out..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I just put a 3/8 ratchet on and counted the ratchet 5 turns from 12 o'clock position when 19mm bolt was full out, so it made no difference where the markers were, I just know I did 5 full turns from fully out :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IMG_1097.JPG
    Great on track and really enjoyable:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Most versatile and capable bike I've owned. Definitely worth a blast around a track at £15K!

IMG_0292.JPG

#89 IanR, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ok, after a full day blasting round in the sunshine, for those who are interested (not many by now I imagine :sleeping:), here's what I settled on in sport and touring, as the other two I have never even selected. I ride with no boxes on and weigh approx 85kg geared up.

Front passive leg 5 turns in as already discussed.
    Sport - The softest setting in the dash - and the default 16 rear preload.
    Touring - Default for the hard to soft setting - and default of 12 for rear preload.

For all you watching, best to play and make your own choices, but I found all the defaults plus 5 turns on the front, in touring, makes a fantastic road bike.
    In sport, I softened the dash setting max for road use and stayed with default rear preload, and its great fun. Due to the extra front preload (The 5 turns bits), and hence faster spring decompression, it now wants to wheelie loads in 2nd and 3rd gear.

In summary, the 5 turns on the front, and little tiny tweaks in the dash have made me fall in love again with the Multi, I tried many things today and many settings, but it would appear just the front passive leg adjustment has all but sorted it with most else on default. The front end just feels so much more controlled and less "sloppy" through smooth or bumpy corners, and through fast changes of direction, like roundabouts, it ties itself in knots way way less than before.

Thx to all who inputted here....Bike, well and truly sorted. :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Oh no! :D:fist::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. "here's what I settled on in sport and touring, as the other two I have never even selected"
    There's another 2!?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Funny, I only use two too. Urban and touring ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ????
    luvley-candy-tutu-5060-0-1417097799000.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. OK men, here's my story so far...

Had mine set up as follows:
    (Rider weight approx 80kg plus kit).

RH fork preload 3/4 turn in.
    Sport: Softest front and rear, rear preload 14.
    Touring: Harder front and rear, rear preload 14.

Changed RH fork preload to 5 turns in last night and went for a blast. Left the dash settings as they were and found Sport too harsh, as I expected. Touring was also a bit harsh but not too bad. Interestingly though, even though a bit harsh, the front did feel more stable and planted in both modes.

Then I adjusted the RH fork to 4 turns in and dash settings to:
    Sport: Kept the same at Softest.
    Touring: Default.
    Result:
    Sport: Too wallowy at the front.
    Touring: Horrible! Too wishy washy and wallowy (technical terms haha), basically the front way too soft.

Further adjustment made, RH front fork 41/2 turns in, Sport Softest and Touring Default. Rear preload still at 14.
    Result: Me likely likey!
    Sport feels firm but forgiving and planted, good for B roads.
    Touring feels more relaxed, plush and smooth, again good for bumpy B roads.

I'm surprised that a half turn of preload made this much difference, especially as I don't pretend to know much about the dark art of suspension tuning.

These may not be the final settings I settle on but for now I'm happy with the changes, it's certainly been worth doing.

BTW I have kept engine setting at High for Sport and Medium for Touring. I prefer it this way as it makes a good recognisable distinction between the two modes and I think it's nice to have a more relaxed power delivery with a more relaxed ride.

#95 sparky boy, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Goes to show what difference it can make :)

17. Well feck me! Got my bike back on Saturday, had the opportunity today to have a fettle, bear in mind the preload had never been touched and was"loaded" by approx 1/4 turn!! I've applied 6 full turns and went for a pootle, what a difference, I mean it's like riding another bike, turns in and holds a line more smoothly and just feels more planted, thanks for the thread Wayne, top man :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. No worries, I just started the thread mate, but loads of folk had the good stuff to input, but anyhoo, glad it has worked for you :upyeah:

19. Do I take it that none of this info is in the manual?

20. The manual tells you how to adjust for pre-load but does not tell you how to work out what settings you may need for your weight.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information