1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Preload - On Rhs Fork Leg

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Jul 5, 2017.

1. I think it does refer to 1 turn being 15kgs as well

2. Not that I could see ? Mentions 10 turns but nothing about 15kgs. I suppose it's not difficult to figure out knowing total bike load, but it's not actually in the book. For most, the bigger issue is that the retailers don't even mention it so most buyers just assume it's fully electronic, as I did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just been looking at one of these in the showroom and the 2 arrows are directly aligned with each other.

Does this mean the preload nut is fully wound out, or is it some factory default setting for a given rider weight (75kg?) or does it mean precious little?

4. It doesn't really mean much as there is no indication of how many turns have been applied. Should you purchase the bike you would have to wind it out anti-clockwise to the limit (no preload) and then apply the number of clockwise turns applicable to your weight. The triangular markers are a visual reference for fine tuning such a half-turn, quarter-turn.....etc. After setting the number of turns for your weight, ride the bike and tweak to your preference. Half a turn can make a noticeable difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ok, so at 89kg in my pants, I am looking at 6 turns out then? Will give it a go and report back once I collect next week.

6. No, 6 turns in from fully out :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Once you've done the front remember to do the rear to match, this is done through the dash settings. For me it was 16 but I'm heavier. Wayne has put his rear preload setting in a previous post :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is really a give and take. The correct way is to set the suspension up to sag 1/3 of travel. So 200mm/3 is 66.6mm front and rear

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yes, I agree. These theoretical calcs of x turns for y kg and value z through the dash are an approximation that get you in the ball park. The proper way is to measure the amount of travel on front and rear while the bike is stationary and the rider sat on it, set for 1/3 -1/2 travel. Get a mate with a tape measure to assist for a proper set-up.

10. Just dropped the socket on and mine was less than 1/4 turn from fully out (ACWise). Put another 6 turns on it (95kg kitted), but not ridden yet. Doing a decent run tomorrow, so will take socket with me. It feels like there is very little sag at the moment, but let's see?

11. I suspect you will back it off a turn or so.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I suspect you will back it off a turn or so.

13. Probably, but I thought I'd 'go big' to start with? Need new fillings in my teeth by lunchtime!

14. Great stuff, had no clue! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bradders, you are correct. First 100 miles I thought this is fine, but by 300+ and 8hrs of riding, it is oh so slightly 'chattery'.

Will try 1/2 turn off. Thank gawd this thread was started!

• Like Like x 1
  16. It's certainly been an eye opener eh, and for most, made a very good bike better:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I bought my 1200S a couple of weeks ago. The previous owner had a steering damper fitter because he said it felt unstable on motorways, asked him whether he had adjusted preload and he said it had been done when he bought it. Checked today and the front preload was 1/3 of one turn in. Crazy - that means that the dealers have set it for someone who weighs 5kg!
    I would recommend anyone who rides a bike (any make and style) takes a few minutes to set up their preload (and then rebound and damping) loads of info about what to do and how to do and none easier than skyhook.
    If you have skyhook and are new to suspension setting, (but pretty useful to an old hand as well) Set up two of the riding modes as exact mirrors for all settings - then on one of them adjust (say) the preload. I've done Sport and Enduro - then literally when riding you can flick between the two and feel the difference and decide which you prefer
    Also - if you have one (and a trip to Halfords if you haven't) is use a T bar and socket when adjusting the preload nut, it is much easier to count half revolutions that using a spanner or wratchet
    Some great points earlier in this post - especially IanR and Wayne58 - I would suggest Admin make this a sticky so others can easily refer to it in the future

18. And admin should make cheques payable to ME also.............. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nice try Wayne, I think the post is worth its weight in gold to those wishing to set up their suspension. Hopefully Admin is very rich!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Although plenty of others have given the same advice before..I hate to say it but suspect Aircon was the first to really mention setting the preload as factory and dealers didn't

Do Not Sell My Personal Information