1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing A 1st Generation Multistrada 1200 For A Life On Track

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by bradders, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Way over my head. Andy

2. It's not what you've got, it's how you use it :D Andy

• Funny Funny x 1

3. Everyone mounts them differently

4. I have no idea how that links with your first post .... or what your first post was meant to mean. Don't bother with an explanation, the moment has passed. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Case protectors and made to measure brake lines fitted and baseline ECU map loaded. Andy
    20211215_153521.jpg
    20211215_153512.jpg
    20211215_153256.jpg
    20211215_153302.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. Just a quick note, with a 16x18 clutch master cylinder, standard length lever and an Oberon slave, the EVR clutch operation is very firm to heavy. Once I can get to ride the bike for any length of time, I may live to regret my decision not to fit a QS. Andy

7. Is the throttle cable or fbw??

8. Half and half. The first generation 1200 Multistrada (and Diavel) uses a hybrid system. Push/pull throttle cable operates a (sprung) rotary sensor which sends a signal to a pair of stepper motors to open/close the butterfly valves. Not sure how it will cope with the Domino quick action throttle, I will just have to wait and see :D Andy

9. Just thought I’d add, the rotary sensor is mounted on the throttle body. Andy

10. i was thinking more auto blipper and qs no need for clutch then mate

11. Too early in the development of electronics for a blipper and no-one , except me, wants to have a track based Multistrada. Andy

12. The tuneboy up/down shifter worked really well when it was setup right but to set it up did mean you had to either run their stock map or use their software to map the engine and I couldn't find a tuner who wanted to touch it.

I'm curious about the quick action throttle as it's the engine "mode" that determines the speed of throttle body opening. As I understood the Touring was a linear opening compared to Sport which was more than that. I would presume a quick action + sport would have more than the intended effect at first.

13. Can’t see now QA will not work, surely the map may only allow so much throttle but that still depends on how quick/much travel so it thinks it’s twisted a]harder and applies against that

14. @messes, not sure if anyone has tried to fit a quick action throttle on a Multistrada before but I’m guessing the custom mapping will show if it is compatible or not. IMO, it needs something to shorten the throw of the stock throttle so worth a try. Andy

15. Why won’t it work? All it does is mean 100% gas only takes 75% turn. Could take some getting used to but if the ecu expects say 1” of travel for max gas, a QA gives the same 1” travel just you don’t have to wrist the throttle so far. So same result

16. I have no idea, which is why I'm paying someone else to find out :D Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. That's my thoughts, the map/ECU would just think you've turned the throttle further surely?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Sports mapping is kinda like QA itself, opening the throttle bodies greater than the actual travel. For the track I guess this would not matter but I would have thought the QA + Sports would make it very lively. I suppose the question of working is will it be too lively to control at slower speeds.
    Still I would expect the QA to be fine on touring mode.

19. Lively is good ........ isn't it ? Andy

20. That’s my thought too. No different to any bike without the sports modes: make sport a race mode ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information