1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 "pressure" Error On Dash

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tzoykas, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Hello all

I am posting my recent experience with that fault, so I can hopefully save somebody else time and frustration.

The "PRESSURE" warning came on a few times in the last six months. It stayed there for a few minutes and then it turned itself off. It didn't appear systematically, nor under certain circumstances. However the bike ran properly. No hiccups, no loss of power. Trying to find some info on that, I found out that it's a "common" problem and the resolution was to ignore the warning. Big mistake. As I found the (very) hard way, it can leave you stranded. You can see the little bastard in the attached picture.

So if it comes up, try to fix it before it's too late. I say "try" because in the programmed service visit, I brought it up to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong with the bike (the problem didn't appear at all, even as a warning). This error was intermittent so it doesn't seem to be recorded in the ECU. If it doesn't happen during the hook up, nobody knows it was there. It also happened the second time I was towed to the dealer. It performed flawlessly, without giving any hint. So be persistent.

The problem was that the sensor that creates the problem can malfunction without giving any error/warning. As you can see in the first video, no warning is displayed in the dash and the behavior of the throttle is very erratic when you try to open it. It runs at idle fine (except when you first start the motor, as it starts idling at double the revs) but as soon as you open the throttle, the motor is getting confused.. The ECU gets no error from the sensor, it trusts it, and the sensor sends the wrong measurement. The result is no fuel feed to the cylinder that has the problematic sensor. However, as you can see in the second video, if the ECU gets a warning from the sensor (displayed in the dash), it gets its reading from the other one, resulting in proper fuel feed to both cylinders.

If you happen to have hiccups or the specific warning, do yourself a favor and try to persuade your dealer to run the bike while hooked up on the diagnostic computer, to try and find out if the sensor is malfunctioning. It can be a very misleading symptom. Otherwise you risk being stranded on xmas day on a remote location and spend time and money getting the bike transported by a towing service company, ruining your vacation, like I had the luck of finding out.

I wish everybody a happy new year
    Ride safe

2015-12-30 16.13.17.jpg

2. Gutted for you tzoykas, thanks for the warning.
    Hope 2016 is better for you :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sorry to hear you got stranded tzoykas. The sensor you're referring to is a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure ) sensor and there are two of them, one for each cylinder. This problem also affects the Diavels which have the same engine. If you disconnect one at a time you should be able to work out which sensor is faulty and if it is left disconnected the engine should run with the ECU substituting a default value which should at least get you home.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Well, I knew all that but it's very hard to reach (I believe both of them are hard to reach). If I could I would try it myself in order to save me from the trouble of getting towed. However, I realized that the problem was exactly that, after being towed (the fourth day after it first started, since there was no warning on the dash until that moment). I'll know next time. Now it's history. I get to keep the knowledge ;)

5. Yes, you might just have been able to get at the connector for the front one which is below the ECU but the rear one definitely needs the tank lifted.

6. It happening to me....yesterday. This thread by Tzoykas was all I could find on the side of the road. I was not stranded and bike ran fine. Error went away.

Error returned after power up when I got home. Disconnect front sensor and error remained.

Assume faulty rear sensor?

7. Hi R0CKETMAN

Removing the (faulty) sensor does not switch the warning led off, it only alleviates the problem (assuming that the other sensor is ok and that you indeed removed a faulty sensor). Just by removing it does not give you a definite answer as to whether you have removed the faulty one. I would go straight to the dealer and let them deal with it. My problem was that a faulty sensor DID NOT return a warning on the dash. If you didn't experience a surge or inability to rev the engine you cannot tell which sensor is the faulty one just be removing it (and as far as I know, only the front cylinder's sensor is accessible without removing the tank)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks for the reply.

I thought I read somewhere that removing wire to sensor which was faulty would in turn remove warning.

9. Thanks for your message. This happened to me recently. It seems is is a recurring problem…already scheduled a visit to Ducati.

A2F118C1-B696-45AE-A4E7-CF65B15DED77.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Having just experienced this exact(ish) issue, on my 2014 the intermittant dash error in the preceeding week was "Engine", before complete breakdown with no errors showing resulting in recovery. Symptoms were poor / no throttle response, start & tickover fine. No power at all can`t even pull away. Leave it for an hour or so & some control came back but for how long!

Finally back at the dealer we found a MAP sensor error on the Horizontal cylinder.

After replacement the bike ran but poorly as if in "limp" mode, they don`t have a limp mode. We checked & changed the plugs on the H cylinder as they were stuffed as a result of the fault. Bike runs as it should - yeah result.

Unless you are out with your pixie fingered friend you will need the following:-

H MAP Sensor: - Under the tank behind the small L/H side panel -
    3mm hex key / a cut off 4mm hex key for the mounting bolt / a flat blade screwdriver for the hose clamp / flat nosed pliers to remake the hose clamp.
    Undo the hose clamp & remove the hose, remove the bolt, feed the sensor up & out to access the connector. Remove the connector replace the hose & clamp.

V MAP Sensor:- mounted on & under the airbox at the rear left.
    3, 4 & 5 mm hex keys / a flat blade screwdriver for the hose clamp / flat nosed pliers to remake the hose clamp / zip tie cutters / a spanner to allow removal of the beak lower bolts (24 / 25mm ?).

Remove the body work to allow you to lift or remove the tank. Undo the rubber mount for the MAP sensor then the Sensor from the mount. Disconnect the connector.

In best Haynes manual style - Replacement is reversal of removal.

Good luck.

If you are on a trip or just out this should at least get you going again. Fingers crossed it`s the H Sensor.

#10 mikele, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Luckily my issue was simple. Sensor changed and problem solved . Cheers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information