1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Prices Of 998s's

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Dr.D, Dec 12, 2018.

1. https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...searchId=d3aeb849-6e6e-0ef0-43bf-72759c986154

Above is a link to a typical sale here on the continent. Obviously you tea drinking crumpet munchers are going to say "ooooh, but mine has less mileage/that would be an import (they all are)/it's not on an 87 plate etc. etc. but the reality is that this one represents a fair priced one owner bike with history and a one year guarantee from a Ducati agent, and look pcp (angel dust?) lovers, finance at 2.89%. Good luck getting that rate in Brexitland!

Weirdly, the one's that seem to be the priciest in Nazi Germany (or just Germany as they insist on calling it nowadays) are the Bostrom abortions, sorry editions, but as you know, you do still see a fair few mullets over there so there's no accounting for taste!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Funny, I think I'm the only person I know who loves the Bostrom reps. Nearly bought one a few years ago, but just couldn't scrape the pennies together.

3. PC190011.JPG PC190002.JPG PC190002.JPG
    Race reps are very much marmite bikes often ridden by total knobs with over inflated egos
    These are mine View attachment 141038 View attachment 141039

• Like Like x 3
  4. No, there's two of us. Had mine since 2009 and not intending to sell anytime soon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Perhaps a pic might help?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you fancy selling the FE pls do let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’d say that price is where they are depending upon condition/service history/#owners.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. You know you want it:thinkingface::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. You're not the only one mate - I love the colour scheme, especially the blue wheels. Been tempted with a couple of them over the years, think there's currently 2 for sale at Sheffield?
    Then again, I don't do red - which is quite difficult as a Ducati fan. Over 20 Ducati's over the years and probably owned only 4 red ones.
    My recent purchase is a 998 Matrix - I know many will be aghast to hear I sold a Mk1 916 Senna (Grey not red!!) for a GREEN bike :astonished: but I'm convinced long term it will be a good investment and much nicer to ride with the best engine, updated electrics etc - plus less were made than the Senna series.
    Ok, I'm not keen on the sh!tty "Matrix reloaded" decals on the tail-piece but want to keep it original :upyeah:

10. The Senna will climb to dizzy heights in value and the green 998's will languish like the Airwaves bikes (IMHO BIAC:blush:) - not a fan of 'Ducati must be Red' as it's more recent marketing rather than heritage...……….. :eyes:

11. :cool:
    Yep, Exige I agree and disagree. It could all get very interesting. If I was out for a pension pot I would have kept the Senna. But want to ride the bike, and after a 12 month restoration I never rode or took the Senna out of the garage. I'm going to use the 998, and not looking for long-term profit plus I have a considerable amount of change left over for other things!
    I think you may be surprised though, will just have to wait and see. The number of vehicles (say Porsche 928 & 944, Citroen 2CV, Bond-Bug etc etc) that were almost worthless not too long ago as people thought they were white elephants are now almost unaffordable. Oh, did I also reveal I once restored a Ducati Indiana, just a sucker for punishment!!

Either way, the 998 should be a blast to ride, it's not red and I love the colour - plus I'll stick with the quote from Riders just in case I'm totally off the mark -
    Riders: "Since the Matrix Edition was built only on demand, the total number of bikes made worldwide was 321 units (about 150 for the US). If you fancy this bike, it’s definitely worth trying to get your hands on one as will most likely become a collectible in the not-so-distant future. If it doesn't, don't worry: you’ll get your hands on a limited-edition, street-legal superbike unlike many others" :upyeah:

12. I’m not fixated on red for Ducati, but I can’t agree it is recent, unless we are comparing to spans of geological time.
    Apart from red being the Italian racing colour pretty much since racing started, and apart from red being the most usable bike colour from the tricolore flag options, if you look back to around 1987, post bevel and around the start of their renewed racing ambition, now more than 30 years ago, red and Ducati were already pretty much an item.

13. I don't disagree that it will be collectable, to a lesser extent say to a 998 FE (and is now as all 998's have turned the corner) but 998's should be yellow :yum

An Indiana you say :scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Italy was Red in Formula 1, not motorcycles - look at Ducati's early heritage :eyes: it was a marketing ploy of the 1980's to play off the back of Ferrari that did it :)

15. upload_2019-2-5_22-17-19.jpeg
    This early ? just messing.

16. Yip, they did all colours, but that's not a race bike - and show me a red Ducati radio :yum

17. It's orange before you start :mad:

47585126_359391041540215_8088083134720704236_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I do like the Bostrom rep and would like to see a Matrix in the flesh as never seen one but from photos i like them, enjoy your new toy.
    :upyeah:

20. Thanks mate, gone to town on it for a change so will post a pic or two when the restoration is complete :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information