1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Test Drive Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Alan-g, Nov 20, 2018.

1. I am trying to convince my friend to get a motorbike. He has had has licence for about 5 yeats but never actually owned a bike other than a 50 and 125 scooter when he was 17/18
    I have offered him a good deal to buy my hyperstrada off me when i upgrade to a hypermotard 950 sp. However he wants to test ride it first to see if he likes how it rides.

What is the best way to insure a private test ride. Obviously he hasnt got an insurance policy that would cover him third party.
    Would i be able to add him to my policy for the day for him to test ride the bike? (principal insurance)
    Anyone have experience of this situation?

2. I'd be worried, insured or not, about lending a bike to someone who hasn't ridden for 5 years, never ridden anything above 125 and then saying off you go on a hyper. If I can be blunt, your need for a sale seems to be more important than your friends safety and the possible damage and months of arguing with your insurance company should an accident happen.

I maybe wrong but the way it's written, gives me that impression.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sorry to sound a boring old fart but he probably ought to check out insurance costs on it before buying it. Not ridden for 5 years? early 20s? Only ridden twist & go scooters? It might be prohibitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thread moved

5. With his riding experience are you sure a hyperstrada is the right bike seems a bit OTT

6. I would send him off to the nearest Ducati dealer and let him road test one of their bikes for a couple of hours on their insurance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Can't you just go to a car park or industrial estate or something and have a play since he's your mate? I test rode an R1 three months after getting my licence having never rode a bike before and a Panigale a couple months later. He'd have to try hard to crash a hyper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Book him in a track Day, no insurance needed, novice group probably best. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bikesure do temp insurance. I loaned my mt10 to a mate for a weekend away. Think it was £90 for a week.

10. Thanks everyone, think il just send him to a ducati dealer to test drive one.

Im not worried about him having an accident, just if someone hit him then im left without a bike.
    He has not owned a bike since passing his test but he is fairly competent on a bike. As for hyperstrada for a first bike i reckon Its ideal. Its not a difficult bike to ride at all, not crazy fast, good visibility and lots of fun. And the cheapest bike i have ever got an insurance quote for by a long way

Do Not Sell My Personal Information