1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 999

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Nasher, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Great news!
    Light should go out once problem is resolved.
    You can find the error code by pushing the buttons... Can't remember the sequence off the top of my head but am sure somebody will let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Need to pop out to the garage and have a look at the codes, but considering what the bike has been through I'd imagine there will be loads of stored ones.
    Is there a way to clear them without connecting to JP Diag?

3. Woo Hoo. Many congratulations. I'm impressed with all the ancillary work, seat fitting, different forks etc., but my definition of a good bike is one that starts when you want it to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Just having another look through this build :upyeah::motorcycleduc:

5. Whooo hooo that's great news
    Keep going

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks all.

I had a really frustrating afternoon trying to work on the bike yesterday.
    To keep this thread a bit cleaner I'll post a separate thread about JPDiag and my frustrations with it when I've checked a couple more things.
    I'm 99% sure the issues are with me and/or my Laptop.

But I did use the 'Turn the ignition on with the Left Hand Button held down' process to access the codes:

PC190001.JPG

The Error code 36.0 relates to the speed sensor of all things, but looking back through a few old threads it does appear that a speed sensor issue will result in constant illumination of the EML light. So that at least ties up.

I'm not sure why there is a massive EFI above the code, could that also be pointing at another error of some kind?

Would multiple codes stack at the bottom of the screen?

Back to 36.0.
    It would make sense that the ECU could get a little confused if it gets conflicting info from the speed sensor/clutch lever switch/ignition pick-ups/Neutral switch etc
    I don't know exactly when the EML illuminated, all I know is that it wasn't illuminated, then was when I looked back at the dash.
    I do remember the Neutral light being off when I first started the bike, then it flickering before coming on properly, I did also pull the clutch lever in a few times to test it's operation and see how much of a 'Jingle' I was going to get.

I didn't touch the back wheel on that first start up.

After finding the code I did run the bike back up and spin the back wheel by hand, which gave me 6mph briefly so I'm assuming the sensor itself is good.

Does anybody know how I can clear this code without using JPDiag or similar?

I did fit a new battery yesterday before the above error code investigation, but need to go over the Earths again I think, particularly the one from the ECU to one of it's mounting bolts.
    The battery was showing 13.3V with my Multimeter on the bike without the engine running, and 14.8V with the engine running.
    But the dash was showing me 11.5V and 12.6 in the same situations.

7. @chrisw

8. Thanks DB, ChrisW is really helpful, but I'm already feeling guilty about asking for his help with JPDiag on several occasions.

I need to check a couple of things then I'll start a separate thread about it.

• Love You Love You x 1
  9. I will ask him
    Hi Chris can you help Nasher out for me please
    Your a star thank you :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sev is right Simon, don't be put off by the bold "EFI" bit, it's merely telling you that "you got there" - you are "in" that part of the fault-finding program, and will come up on every similar bike to indicate this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thanks Sev and Chris.

That is a great relief, the EFI unfortunately being an Acronym with more than one meaning.
    I instantly think Electronic Fuel Injection of course.

12. Nasher,
    If it turns out to be your rear speed sensor, I have a new one bought for my 1198 SP with P/N: 55240373E that I didn't need in the end, it supersedes a range of alternative numbers and fits a variety of models from that era.
    I'm not sure what the part number should be for your bike, but if the one I have would fit let me know.
    A great thread by the way, and very well done so far.
    Good luck.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. For error 36.0 spin the back wheel to create an input to the ECU. Should clear the MIL.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks ChrisW.

I did that yesterday to test the Sendor and 'got her up to 6MPH', but the light was still on.
    Perhaps I should do it in gear with the clutch out.
    Note there is no Chain and Sprockets on the bike at the moment!

15. If it was going to clear then just spinning the wheel with ignition on would have done it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks ChrisW.
    I will have another go, maybe try to get it up to a slightly higher speed.

17. Thank you @chrisw

This is why I love this forum so much the knowledge that's given to each other is invaluable

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hi Nasher, regarding your issues with JPDiag....I don't think it's you or your laptop at fault.
    I have problems connecting to my 999s (59M ECU) but connecting to my '07 Monster695 (5AM ECU) is easy.
    I think there is a comms issue with the 59M ECUs (assuming yours is the same?)
    Great thread by the way. I'm sure you will enjoy the ride when you get it finished.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information