1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 999

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Nasher, Sep 13, 2021.

1. I'm almost done with this project now, it needs a pair of tyres and one bottom half fairing spraying because I've not managed to find an undamaged replacement in Red at all, let alone at a reasonable price.

I do have a bottom panel that I've prepped ready for paint, and it will be good enough whilst I keep an eye out for a replacement, but have put off spraying it due to the weather.

I've got the paint from RS paints, but in case there is a difference in colour I'm considering a cheat.

What I'm considering doing is adding a White stripe just on the lower half fairings from the upper/lower panel joint so the two Reds are not butted up against one another.
    Obviously I'll do this both sides, and this way both the top half fairings I have which are in really good condition won't be modified.

What do we think?
    Excuse my basic Photoshop skills, and don't blow the image up too much!

999 paint 3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not for me.
    White numberboards on the nose and tail - more like it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I like it Nasher, it’s a good idea.

I’ve been toying with yellow front and rear boards for my 1098s, similar to a Supermono. I’d imagine a fair few will hate the look, but if I like it, who cares. Apply that thinking to your white stripe my friend.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I am getting there with this bike, but slowly due to other commitments at the moment.

All she needs is new/repaired trousers, and new boots before I can get her an MOT, then once on the road I'll have a play at cutting down a spare seat subframe and fitting the Carbon RS style single seat unit.

P4160001.JPG

I must admit that opening my garage doors to this lot still makes me smile every time.

Garage.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  5. Just a short list of small jobs to complete now, then when I've been paid this month I can order some tyres and book an MOT.

Will probably add some White to the nosecone and the RS single seat when I fit it:

P4270005.JPG

P4270006.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  6. Nice forks :D Andy

7. This is Fantastic.
    I've got some reading to go though this evening :)

8. Bit like a Desmo (RR),that colour scheme. That is.

9. I finished off a few small jobs today like swapping the right hand switchgear for one I had with a light switch, plus fitting a front sprocket cover and a reflector.

The bike isn't completely where I want it to end up, but is at the point where all it needs is Tyres and I can book an MOT.
    I want to ride it and assess a couple of things before moving on.
    I'll have a think about what tyres to fit over the weekend, probably a pair of 2CTs.

But it was a big occasion today.
    When I brought the bike in September last year it's journey from the previous owners garage to my hire van was the first time it had seen the light of day since I believe 2013, the MOT ran out in August 2013, and all that time it had sat damaged after a trip into a gravel trap at a track day.

When I got it home it went straight into my workshop and then up on my liftbench where it's been ever since.

I couldn't resist wheeling it out into the daylight today, I wanted if nothing else to see if my rebuild of the sidestand and bracket had enabled it to stand up on it's own, which thankfully it has, although I'm still a little unsure about how far it's leaning over.

And of course, living down a private road can have it's benefits, including not having to worry about things like the lack of an MOT for a quick exploratory ride.
    Yes, it moved today under it's own power for the first time in 9yrs.

_4290003.JPG

#289 Nasher, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 14
  10. Time for a shake down Nasher then see what she might need to get her where you want.

I’ve really enjoyed this thread and seeing your journey and skills. Keep it coming.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Stunning work, well done.

12. Red frame, black boxed swinger, black wheels, RS-type muffler…if only Ducati had released the 749/999 in this form to begin with => :heart:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tyres are fitted, I ended Up with Metzeler M7RRs, but I missed my chance to get an MOT booked for this weekend.

I'm still a little worried by the sidestand.
    I've renewed the bracket, and made sure it pivots properly without flopping around, but it feels like it's leaning over far too far and is unstable.

I've checked the rear ride height as best I can to ensure it's not jacked up. It has an aftermarket link bar, but it's set at 285mm, which is the recommended standard height.
    It's not pivoting too far forward either.

I've just fitted a 180/55 rear tyre instead of the 190/55 that was on it, and that will bring the back end down a bit hopefully, but only by a very small amount.
    Unfortunately I've not got room to get it off my bench at the moment and see how much better it is.

What do 'we' think?
    Is this laying over too far?
    Note image before the new tyre was fitted.

_4290009.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. You can drill and tap the side stand to fit a bolt where the stand stops against the bracket. John Cellier (Ducati John) did this on mine. This makes the bike stand more vertical. The bolt will wear over time but it is a simple job to replace.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Thanks Guys

I've already drilled and tapped the bottom of the stand to add a small Ali block, but of course you can't add too much as the stand won't fit back in the fairing cut out.

I actually did this on my M1000 to replace the worn away metal from stand and bracket, but the stand on the 999 doesn't point forwards as far as the M1000 one, and I'd be a little concerned about it rolling forward off the stand on the slightest incline.
    Suppose I'd just have to make sure it was pointing uphill.

16. Never had any problems or concerns with mine

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Mine leaned far too much for my liking so one of the fixes I found was to araldite a 4mm spacer in the side stand. I think the fix is very simulr to the bolt fix Chris is on about. I left mine slightly proud so I could remover if needed. much better now.

upload_2022-5-7_19-16-57.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. What's this?

She's outside Loomies?

That must mean she passed her MOT this morning:)

Loomies 13 05 22.JPG

Still some bits and bobs to do, for example she pops and bangs far too much on the overrun for my liking, so I reckon there's an exhaust leak somewhere.
    And I do want to fit the Carbon RS style seat unit I have.

Yes my Arse and legs got hot, yes there's a lot of weight on my wrists below @40mph, and yes she's a bit of a handful in traffic.
    But lovely to ride out on A roads, the Metzeler M7RR tyres feel good so far, and the Racetec exhaust isn't that loud really.

Last night I added it all up, and obviously without my time I'm happy that I'm into her for at least £3k less than I could buy a similar one for.

However, I probably need to decide now which one of these goes to make room for another project at the end of the summer.
    I need to dedicate some time to my boat over the coming months, so won't take on another bike project yet, but don't have room for 4 bikes.

P5130003.JPG

#298 Nasher, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  19. Congrats! Its a great feeling when your project is officially back in the road.

20. Great stuff mate - really good work and nice to have her out on the road!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information