1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 999

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Nasher, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Not selling the bike yet DAJ, if that's what your post is referring to.

2. My Father built a few narrow boats he rarely bought from the Chandlers often referring to them as swindlers. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes I was. I read the whole post, all 18 pages in one go yesterday (boring afternoon in the office) and wondered about the prices. I've got an yamaha enduro and a multistrada so dreamt maybe there's room for a third?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rest assured DAJ, when I'm ready to let it go I will put it up for sale on here first.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but I've now lost and had to replace two rear indicator lenses on this bike.
    The light unit is the same on the early Multistrada, and actually I quite like it and don't want to replace it with a more modern small clear one.
    But I can't keep replacing lenses, so needed to investigate.

The Indicator lenses fit on with a 3-pin Bayonet type fixing, but have always been very loose on this bike.

The problem is that the 'pins' moulded into the main housing body have almost completely worn away and hardly now provide any location:

Prob copy.jpg

But I noticed there is also a 'Notch' moulded in which I thought I could use as a back up to locate the lenses whilst I try to find a better used housing.

I added a small Stainless screw and washer trapping an O-ring:

P3110014.JPG

Once the Lens is on the housing the O-ring is hooked into the notch providing a much needed back up to hold the lens in place.

P3110009.JPG

P3110011.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice O-ring fix! You could go belt and braces and build up the worn ‘pins’ with a drop of superglue and baking soda

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bit of insulating tape wrapped around the joint?

• Like Like x 1
  8. In this thread I've mentioned various single seat units, procrastinated about which to use, and didn't get anywhere.
    Mainly because I realised I didn't really like any of them, and actually the Ducati Performance cover that fitted in place of the pillion pad was my favorite, so that's what I've been using.

All along I've wanted to keep this bike more subtle than my previous bikes, preferring the bigger nod to standard look, with mods underneath.
    With that in mind a while back I brought a standard Monoposto tail unit from another member on here, but in my usual way went for one that needed work because it had been Matt-Blacked, and unfortunately when I tried to gently get it off with thinners the Red came off underneath:

A9201DF1-638A-4A33-82C8-27DC133B2D0D.jpeg

I also of course needed to finish off the Monoposto subframe I was converting from a Biposto one.

To recap.

Cut here:

Cut lines.jpg

P5160004.JPG

Weld it back together using bits of the part I cut off to tidy the ends:

P5220002.JPG

Then give it a couple of coats of Black Smoothrite:

P4240003.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  9. The plastic got one of my 3ft paint jobs, definitely better than a 6ft one, but not perfect enough for 6in scrutiny.

Note that although they look great I specifically don't want to go with White number boards on this bike:

P4270002.JPG

And there it is:

P4270001a.JPG

P4270002a.JPG

I quite like it, and have added some decals I brought ages ago, in the same colour, style and position as standard ones, but not the standard text:

P4270004.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  10. Great job Nasher

11. looking good

12. Had the same issue and used black tape myself to make it stay in place!

• Like Like x 1
  13. This bike is now back with the Biposto seat unit, but with the Ducati Performance single seat converter I first fitted.
    I prefer it, and it provides a small locker to stash some tools or a disclock.

It also now has a Black headlamp shell, which I think contrasts better with the Red bodywork, and a Black aftermarket screen.

I'm almost certain now that rather than continue with the mods I'm going to sell it if the right offer is made for it.
    My 1000ss/900SL and M1000 may also be for sale as well.

P7210001.JPG

P7210002.JPG

P7210003.JPG

P7210004.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. You're selling them all?

15. When I've completed a very small amount of work on each of them they will all be offered for sale.

16. Three bikes to zero bikes... I can't imagine it!

17. I have really enjoyed this series of posts. It never ceases to amaze the talent some people have.
    Although I have restored a few bikes in the past I'm not skilled at fabrication.

18. Have just ploughed through this from start to finish. Inspirational stuff, Nasher :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Well who'd have thought it. Nasher it's been a long time, hope you and family are well. I've been thinking about getting a Ducati, found this forum and then saw this thread, just had to stop by and say Hi. Next stop Multistrada, well maybe

20. Need to fit some bearings etc to these over the weekend then get the tyres swapped over from the original Black pair.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information