1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 999

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Nasher, Sep 13, 2021.

1. My attention turned to draining the coolant and removing the Radiator to give it a repaint.
    It needs to come off anyway for me to replace the Cam cover gasket on the Horizontal cylinder.

With the radiator off I discovered why the Right Hand side Top mounting had sheared off - See Post 28 above.

The radiator doesn't appear to leak, but it's deformed which couldn't been seen when it was fitted.

P9220003.JPG

P9220004.JPG

It's not easy to see in the images, but it looks like the Left hand side has been held firm by the top mount and pipes whilst the Right Hand side has been pushed upwards shearing the top mounting bolt and deforming the Radiator into a Rhomboid shape.
    The Horizontal tubes have a definite 'S' in them.

So rather than refurb it and risk it leaking I'll use it as an excuse to get a nice unpainted Aluminium one in there.
    They don't appear to be expensive:
    https://motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/mpw-aluminium-radiator-for-ducati-749-999.html

• Like Like x 2
  2. I don’t know if they’re the same but I have a pair of multistrada radiator fans doing nothing in my shed. They work and look a lot tidier than those two.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Matt, you've got my attention.

Because the painted steel fan mounts are so rusty I was thinking of making some in Aluminium or Stainless Steel rather than refurbish the old ones.

Let me know how much you want for them by PM as I'm sure I can make them work if they are not too Deep to fit in the space.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’ll take some measurements and pm tonight. I think the housings are plastic on the multi ones but they look very similar in shape. I think they’re slimmer too.

5. Here’s a photo of one off eBay for comparison.

99485169-4F90-49BE-BC0C-0F600DA37D39.png

6. Looks like the mounts are metal but fans are plastic with a built on shroud.

7. Thanks Matt.

I bet they shift more air, so as long as your frames aren't all rusty like mine I'm happy to take a chance on them.

8. If I recall correctly they’re near mint. I’ll send photos and pm tonight

9. Thanks Matt

10. The replacement Radiator turned up yesterday, less than 24hrs since I ordered it, and I have to say that for the price I'm impressed.

P9240001.JPG

I've been all over it with a measuring stick, and everything appears to be in the right place.
    I'm going to give it a quick pressure test over the weekend.
    So at the moment MPW are looking to have supplied a good product at a good price.

I also stopped in to my local Hyphose who are always helpful, and picked up some of my favourite Stainless Steel Hose clamps by Mikalor, which I've used on projects in the past.
    They have the same rolled edges that Samco claim for their own hose clips but are far better than any worn drive clip.

P9240003.JPG

I fitted them to the hoses and thought how good they looked:
    P9240004.JPG

Then of course I realised they are completely useless in this situation as they are too wide and would be clamping the hoses over the top of the bulge in the fixed stubs rather than behind it.
    I've never had this issue using them before, but have mainly used them on outboard engines.

So I'll have to investigate some similar Stainless clamps which are narrower.

• Like Like x 1
  11. There is a nice sort of “half-way house”, if you like: I picked up a set of brand new, never fitted, ZX10R Showa BFF forks for substantially less than used Ohlins money. They’re 50/55mm and have same axle size as our bikes and realistically one of the best front ends going around.
    I fitted them to a 749R front end so had to turn up bushes etc to suit the 53/56mm Ohlins triples, but probably even easier with a set of 749/999 Showa triples, maybe just bushes for bottom yoke? (sorry, can’t quite remember size)
    There’s a bit of faffing around, the axle is a tad too long, and I had to machine the 4P 749R calipers to suit (I had them on hand, ZX10R are probably a better fit), but none of it is insurmountable.
    Just an idea....

C77F5FB5-4703-4D7F-8D00-D8E8309A2431.jpeg

ED8A1336-7BDD-44B2-AD73-6B6825FD35B9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks Seven4nineR, I didn't know about them.
    Unfortunately they won't fit in the Showa Yokes as they are 53/53mm.

There must of course be other bikes out there that I could use the forks from.
    I'm going to start investigating Aprilia parts for example.

13. I changed the Cam cover seal on the vertical cylinder today.

It's not easy to see in the images, but every one of the big flanged nuts had Oil between it and the top of the seal which had then made it to freedom on the outside of the engine:
    P9250001.JPG

And then the seal under the Cam cover was wet literally all the way around, there wasn't a dry spot anywhere that Oil hadn't escaped:
    P9250002.JPG

Looking at it in more detail it appears the seals around the nuts have compressed with age and the Collars under the Flange nuts are bottoming out before any of the seals are compressed.

The nut seals are @£6ea, and 12 are required to do both Cam covers, so I'd only purchased new cover seals.
    I used a thin smear of Threebond on either side of the Cover seal, and a bit more than a smear on the metal top of the Nut seals.
    Hopefully that will do the job, but if not it will be a far easier job to change just the Nut Seals in situ one at a time.

In preparation to do the Horizontal Cam Cover I stripped the Thermostat housing from the Horizontal Cylinder and spent a fair bit of time trying to clean the outside of the cylinder down behind it.
    There was a whole load of road grit compacted into the space held together with thick congealed Oil from the Cam cover leakage, and even an M6 nut that had obviously been lost down there at some stage.
    This is after I'd soaked it with brake cleaner and wiped it down, but obviously it needs a lot more effort put in.
    P9250004.JPG

I might as well change the 'O' ring for the Thermostat housing that's visible in the above image, so will get one on order.

The oil cooler appears to be in really good condition now some of the muck has been cleaned off it, so I'm wondering if it's been replaced at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Very little progress was made on the bike today. It's been such a nice day weather wise that Lady Nasher and I spent most of it working in the Garden.

Actually, it feels like I went a bit backwards with the bike today.
    I picked up the thermostat housing to remove the old hoses and give it a clean, then thought I'd just swap out the two rusty Screws for some Stainless ones.
    P9250005.JPG

Which is when I found that both were just spinning around as the moulded in threaded inserts in the main body had come loose.
    Obviously it's not uncommon for this to happen when a fastener corrodes in place and the force of undoing it breaks the bond between the insert and the surrounding plastic before the screw breaks it's bond with the insert.

I tried the usual tricks of pulling the screwhead upwards whilst undoing it, and trying to shock it loose with hammer blows to the Allen key, but neither worked and I eventually drilled the heads off whilst holding them with vice grips.

When I finally got the cap off, one remaining screw came out with pliers, but the other remained stuck in it's spinning insert.
    Interestingly though, the Thermostat itself probably wasn't doing much jammed in at an angle having been put in badly.
    P9260001.JPG

I was going to drill a small hole down the side of each insert and tap a stainless pin in to jam them in place.
    But having looked on EBAY all the ones for sale are Aluminium not plastic, so for a very reasonable £15 I've brought one hoping the screws aren't corroded in place. At least if they are I can drill them out and Helicoil them.

What's the story with the change from Aluminium to Plastic, I assume that way around, is it another MkI/MkII difference? Or just a cost saving exercise mid production?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haha, nailed it!

Both of those thermostat housings are as ugly as a bag full of hammers, but, as much as it is cheap and nasty, the plastic unit is at least far lighter than the ally lump.
    It physically pained me but I actually replaced the ally unit with plastic on my 749R track bike. I forgot to weigh the plastic shitfest but the ally version weighs 850gm, nearly a full kg.
    I would have loved to fuck it off entirely but a leaking oil cooler and a reasonably priced Febur race rad/cooler setup begrudgingly made the decision for me.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks Guys.
    The replacement Ali housing should arrive today, so just for you Seven4nineR I'll weigh them for comparison.

I might see if I can remove the revolving inserts from the plastic one and epoxy in some studs or something.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thermostat Housings:
    Aluminium - 874g
    Plastic - 476g

• Like Like x 2
  18. Interesting info, thanks....(I tell you, it’s a slippery expensive slope from mild curiosity to verging on obsessed, sigh)

#58 Seven4nineR, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. That's without hoses, but with the Thermostat and cap fitted.

I'm going to fit the Aluminium Housing to my bike as it's in better condition than the Plastic original which has had the battery box sawing away at it and I'd imagine is quite thin in one spot now.

Out of interest (you've got me at it now:worried:) I might compare the weight of the original and Samco hose kits, as the Samco bag feels quite heavy to me, but I've obviously not bundled all the OEM Hoses together into a bag.

• Like Like x 1
  20. What's the electrical lead (I assume!!) running above the swinging arm and into the caliper mount? Speedo take off so you get an accurate reading when pulling wheelies?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information