1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Bike(s) For Sale

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ivor, Jul 7, 2021.

1. If I had bike projects to sell do I list them under parts, or bikes for sale?

2. I’d go with bikes first, then if you can’t shift them switch over to the parts section. But remember to delete or have admin close the bike thread.

3. I'm watching with interest, nearly ready for my next project.

4. It's a bit of a long story, but I'll list something in bikes for sale, thanks for the pointers chaps

5. I'm guessing that the listing will need a price tho? That's the difficult bit , I'll describe here I think and if there's interest I'll lost appropriately

6. A few years back, to get my missus on a mbike cheaply, we bought a 2004 M1000 monster in a sparkling Spiderman wrap, but without the engine ( a friend bought the bike because he wanted the engine for a pierobon special built by JHP ( was centre spread in MCN ridden round donnington by Cal Crutchlow for the MCN article)). To get an engine I bought a crashed M800, and put the engine in the M1000 frame and all was well until DVLA, a few years later, took a hissy fit, declared it a modified bike and was to have the frame number stamped out and 'Q' plate assigned. Decided not to do this so the bike is idle in the garage. Have most of the 2 monsters, one looks like a bike ( but probably needs a 1000 engine putting in it). or the M800 frame fixing and the 800 engine put back in its original home. If anyone has an interest in part or all of this I'll add a listing..any questions?

7. Someone was looking for ideas on a cafe racer the other day. ‘Some advice’ or similar heading. Soundless like this could be just the job for that

8. Yes, thanks for the reminder, that post was what got me thinking, my wife's bikes are way down my list of projects/stuff to fix ..

9. I must say I'm puzzled. I have owned vehicles previously and currently that have different engines than the one provided at manufacture. I know of many others owned by friends and casual acquaintances. None have ever been required to have a Q plate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. That was Jimbers Pierobon framed build, was an absolute weapon but a real scalpel, needed to be super fast or it didn't work, Jimbers took a bath on it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don't you always on a "special"? Has anyone built one to make a buck?

12. I agree, they were fine for about 3 years then they withdrew the V5 , claiming the change of cc was the issue.

13. Did you notify them of the changes using the V5 form when you switched the engine?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep. Had to for the MOT, like I say, they were fine for a few years, then I think there was a spate of track bikes being nicked from track days and they clamped down for some reason.

15. Sounds like you got unlucky to me.

I've had several bikes and cars that I've put bigger engines in, and having always had the V5 changed it's never come back to bite me later.

16. I keep meaning to challenge it, missus can't be bothered, just gives in, it's on my list, too many things to do, too many bikes ..

17. Yep, I have photo of him sat on it in the garage at Portimao, "what's up" I said..." can't ride it" he replied "don't want to push it in case I crash it, can't afford to crash it"
    Nice bloke, lost touch with him, is he still around does anyone know, he didn't ride on the road only track and raced in some Ducati race series, can't remember his spanner man's name but he sorted the monster engine ignition for me, it wouldn't start in the new bike ( as I'd thrown the clocks away doh!) Chas, just came to me, lived near Kidderminster

18. No idea what became of Jimbers after that, he raced in the DSC Desmo Due Cup but that was all back in 2009/10 and yes, Chas was a mainstay in the paddock, lovely bloke and put together some lovely trackbikes, he is still out and about.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Isn't there a points system for what needs a Q plate?
    There certainly used to be one for cars.
    each 'axle', engine, body, Chassis etc is allocated a number of points, and if you only change a couple of things it keeps it's old reg.

#19 Nasher, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  20. Yep, that's when I knew him, lived a couple of miles away from me, other side of Wolverhampton.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information