1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protective, Waterproof Boots

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Freerange_egg, Sep 29, 2020.

1. I bought some after the Scottish incident. Not used them yet. And they’re not cheap.

2. Cheaper if you buy the ‘army’ version

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Waterproof, really are they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. This forum must have inspired MCN :) because this week’s issue featured a review of sporty waterproof boots. Alpinestars SMX came out tops. Dainese boots had crap CE-ratings :( despite their high price. But they were all microfibre (doesn't last long), not leather.

Thanks, these look excellent except they lack ankle bracing. (And I find it hard to get the right Daytona fit; does Daytona do half-sizes?) But at least Daytona still makes boots out of proper leather.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I totally get the votes for Daytona boots, however for those who have a perfectly serviceable pair of boots, but would simply want them to have fully waterproof capabilities, my tongue was only slightly in my cheek when I posted a link to a pair of Totes over boots. Because I prefer riding in my Alpinestars sports boots over my heavy duty, waterproof Hein Gericke Gore Tex winter boots, I tend to keep a pair of Totes under the seat. I will wear the HG boots if I know the ride is going to be perishingly cold and wet, (Prague in early Spring a few years ago, or Andorra in a rubbish forecast also in Spring a year earlier). If you get caught out by a downpour, they'll stretch over your sports boots and keep you 100% dry. With their lightly treaded sole, they'll allow you to walk around wherever you might need to stop and deprive you of none of the feel that you're used to from your boots on the controls. They work perfectly, take up no room and allow you to wear your favourite boots in foul weather, extending the use you enjoy from them. For the money, they're a no-brainer and a great emergency-get-you-home-dry bit of kit.

6. Derri boots, no contest.

7. Derri or Londonderri ? ;)

8. Ahhh there be the rub.

9. 2nd on the sealskins, fantastic kit. Even in a leaking dry suit whilst diving they keep your feet dry; can't say fairer than that!

Try TCX for your boots, great quality. I've had my large touring boots for years, all day comfy and have never let a drop in, a bit of polish and they come up like new and they have about 30k miles on them.

10. Had as pair of Dainese GTX boots for around 15 years, only started to leak towards the end if that. Crashed in them once and were still good despite some minor damage. Recently, three years ago, replaced with their Torque Out D1 GTX boot. No complaints thus far, very comfortable and dry. Alpinestars have never suited my feet that well in terms of fit. A cover plate came out and was lost on a recent trip to Portugal, just a cosmetic part. An email to Dainese in Italy, during the pandemic, saw a DHL delivery of a fistful of spares gratis. This level of customer service suprised/impressed me. Was expecting to get referred to a UK dealer which I'd already tried.

TCX used to make boots for Dainese years ago when I worked in the trade. Not sure if that's still the case though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daytona. I ride all year. Nothing else comes close.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I bought a pair of TCX Baja Goretex boots last year, they are superb.
    I rode back from Chichester yesterday in biblical rain, 100 miles and bone dry.
    They are an Adventure style of boot but highly recommended.

13. I've known several Astars owners whose boots have fallen apart on them under normal road-riding conditions. Another vote for Daytonas here - I doubt I'll ever wear another brand of boot for the road, except maybe Alt-berg (but they're not what you'd call sexy, just fantastic boots).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TCX every time!

15. Archetypal Forum responses, 2 pages of ‘you might as well get a total stranger to choose your next girlfriend’. :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Id give that a go.

17. Got the Alpinestars. Had them maybe 5 years now. Very happy with them. Waterproof too...not all waterproof gear turns out to be!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information