1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Puig Touring Screen

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bumpkin, Sep 10, 2018.

1. If your want to try it, an can be bop there, your welcome to come an try my shorter PP style puig one (most seem to feel its better). An if you like it you can have it for a few beer tokens

• Like Like x 1
  2. That's kind of you m8. Whilst I perceive that a lower screen like the Pikes Peak one gives smoother airflow it's practically like riding a naked, that's not really what I'm looking for though maybe what I'll have to accept for a quieter ride. Certainly worth a try for the sake of comparison.

Whereabouts are you? Your profile says Gloucester but I was under the impression, maybe falsely, that's not current.

Was also thinking of making an offer on your Touratech seat, that's if you wind up chopping the Multi in for the BM rather than selling it privately. Need to assess how I get on with the stock one first though, have a 500 mile weekend starting tomorrow so should know by Monday.

3. Yep Gloucester, well the Cotswolds side ;) about 5 min from J11a

4. If you try the spacers, could you please give us your thoughts on them as well.
    The idea intrigues me

5. I also had the Puig screen on my Enduro and agree it’s no better than the stock screen. It’s great in the low position and the aerofoils seemed to work. However, i didn’t find it that good in its higher setting especially for motorway riding. That said, I’m 6’4” so anything under the size of a barn door I’m still gonna get buffeting. I swapped mine back and sold the Puig on EBay.

6. I have just fitted a Touratech screen and it is much better. Also better for the pillion passenger as well.
    Tried the MRA vario with spacers but was no great improvement and even worse for the pillion.
    I am 6ft. I think a lot depends on your height and the crash helmet used.

7. Just saw your post, I have ordered a Ducati GT screen for my 950. Tried mra vario & also with spacers from Jamie, I hope this will do the trick, as it is wider than the Puig. Will let you know. Are there any GT owners on here to comment?

8. I put a MRA Vario on my 16' MTS 1200S it it helped significantly. I've added Jamie's spacers to the MRA and that helped even more. I'm quite happy with the result. I'm 5ft 10 in so most screens help to some extent. On my K1600GTL the stock screen is atrocious even though you can raise it quite far. It's cut the wind pressure but is really noising in doing so. I also have a MRA Vario on my S1000XR and it has done yeoman duty as well.

9. This is potentially good news, same height as me. Reduced wind noise for my pillion would also be great. She is 6 foot as well though...

10. My wife is just under 6ft and has appreciated the benefit of the screen.
    So many factors to this issue though. Some things work for some, some things work for others.
    Would be better if Ducati themselves sorted the issue once and for all !!

11. Thanks. So true and fully accept the different strokes, different folks sentiment.

Promising all the same, we'll see...

12. They could add two wheels and put a roof on it that should help :)

13. True but I’ve already got one of those. Which is the reason I have two mortocycles.
    However where there is a know problem and the bike is capable of long distance touring why shouldn’t it be more comfortable.

14. @Bumpkin - Did you ever get and try the Touratech screen?

15. Ordered but still waiting. Away in Portugal, not on the bike. ATM so will chase them once I'm back. They did say that they didn't have stock and were getting one in from Germany for me and that it would take 10 or so days.

Have fitted a set of Jamie's spacers with the std. screen but haven't had a chance to test that setup yet. Also have a Puig sports screen that Bradders flogged me to try. Building quite a collection...

16. Please let us know how that goes

17. Apparently the Touratech screen that I ordered is now on the way to me :)

18. After a failed delivery yesterday (FedEx driver CBA) I now have the Touratech screen in front of me. Tint is darker than I expected but final judgement on that will be once it's fitted to the bike.

Need to get out for a test run with the standard screen with Jamie's spacers first as I've yet to try that despite fitting them over a week ago. Will then straight away swap to the Touratech one and ride for a comparison. Hopefully I can manage this over the weekend. Will report back with my findings.

19. GOOD LUCK!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tried the Touratech screen yesterday having ridden a few miles with the std screen but using Jamie's spacers.

The std screen with spacers seems like a significant improvement, in both low and high positions. However, it feels like there is a certain amount of wind movement from flow either around the sides (screen is quite narrow) or though the gap created by the spacers that I can feel on the sides of my chest. I was wearing textiles rather than leathers. This doesn't really buffet in a distracting or violent fashion though but I can guess that it would add wind-chill in low temperatures. However, this movement might have already been there previously and the spacers have just taken away the head buffeting...?

I then returned home and fitted the Touratech, with spacers, and stood back. The tint is way too dark, almost black (though this is with the protective film still on, though this does seem to be clear) and the screen quite high even in the low position. In the high position it blocks more of the view ahead than I'm really comfortable with TBH. On reflection the clear screen would be better in this regard. On the road the wind deflection seems good at low speed on the low setting but I soon got buffeting as speed increased. Raising the screen reduced this significantly but really not, IMHO, a great deal better than the stock screen with spacers. Added to which the obstruction of vision by the dark screen is just too much. A light smoke tint like the Puig on my previous bike would have been far better. The only other option with the Touratech is clear.

I think on balance I will be sending the Touratech screen back for a refund. At the high cost (£180) I don't think it's worth the money. Also the larger area and moulded in deflector angles don't look great in my opinion. Maybe in clear it would be better in terms of forward vision as well as appearance. Sure we're meant to raise our vision anyway but having the road all but obscured for 15-20 odd feet ahead isn't ideal and feels very odd (I'm 6' and have the seat on the high position BTW).

Maybe trying the screen without the spacers would be worth a try as that would bring it back a little and increase the view. However, I doubt if that would improve the buffeting. Adjustment on the move seemed harder too, possibly greater pressure from the wider screen and deflectors, not great for the mechanism over time.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information