1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchase From Non Franchise Dealer - Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Android853sp, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Makes you wonder if Ducati think the euro is going to fall soon ;)

Hope so, been watching some kit from italy and germany for ages :thinkingface:

2. But if it is less than 2 years old, then surely it still has a Ducati factory warranty regardless ?? With parallel or grey imports they were always different spec bikes, but if a bike is a UK spec bike that's under 2 years old then a Ducati main dealer should look after it?

3. and block exemption ended that practice, hence a lt of dealers went out of business (grey import sellers)

4. And naturally Ducati will drop the prices they've just shoved up by loads also ??

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ar, now, maybe you are on to something as to why they dont want others to import there ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wouldn't think it would be a UK spec bike if it is imported.

Block exemption doesn't apply to motorcycles.

7. Hmm, where do all the UK bikes come from then, Italy I am informed, so that would be imported then?? :grinning::upyeah:

8. Doesn't mean it's UK spec though. Left hand drive ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. when I was in the forces, serving in Germany there were many ( most) who purchased RHD cars via sales teams rather than Recognised manufactures. so acting like middlemen.
    the cars were still able to be presented from warranty work in Germany, even though that had been purchased out side the Network, with relative ease. I guess though the small numbers of bike dealerships and communication between them could make it a little more time consuming as they are not paid the 100% hour rate with warrantee works, and this could be a bone of contention.

10. Andy, after you said this

Learnt today that Ducati are hardening their attitude to warranty claims for bikes bought from outside the UK authorised dealer network, particularly outfits who are buying bikes from dealers in mainland Europe for resale in the UK.

I asked where did you learn this and why do you think it gave that impression, any chance of an update?

11. A million squillion bet says it was Moto Rapido !! Andy lives there !! :thinkingface::upyeah:

12. @Wayne58, that's a dodgy bet which sadly you lose :). @noobie, cropped up in a conversation with a couple of people I'm acquainted with through Brands Hatch rather than friends, talking about the 1299 FE on eBay. Not sure how they knew but happy to take it at face value. Thought long and hard before sharing it but on balance if I've not been gullible and sucked in, our community needs to be aware of the additional risks attached to buying new/nearly new Ducatis not allocated for sale to the UK through the back door. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bugger !!! ;)

14. Thanks for the reply Andy. Agree, if it is a whisper on something that might be a grey area, then it gives prospective buyers of ducs, a question to ask before purchase.

15. Okay, this isn't straight forward so here goes. Any unexpired warranty is transferrable no matter who you buy the bike from although once started, the warranty clock is always ticking until it expires after 24 months from the date of the original purchase invoice. BUT !!!! evidence of servicing, repair work, parts bought and accessory fitting MUST be provided. This can be the stamped service book, receipts for parts and receipts from the service supplier, franchised or not. Ducati service history is not held centrally but by the supplying dealer so if you need to use the warranty, you need to be able to provide traceable documentation to back up your claim. Without the traceable history, any warranty claim is not guaranteed to be successful. Absolutely a mine field and clearly all those receipts people chuck in the first 2 years have far more importance. I now feel vindicated for being anal and having a history folder with a receipt for every bit of work I've had done and every part I have ever bought. Sad really ! Hope this clears up any misunderstanding I may have caused. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. So to clarify: the only issue is the clock is already ticking on the warranty for the Sheffield 1299R FE?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. And for some bizarre reason it's 2k overprice? And they are not Ltd bikes?

18. Yes. Andy

19. Nothing wrong with sharing matey, whether useful or not: people can choose to believe or dismiss :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yes, and v.lucky you bumped into them again to clarify for us o_O

• Dislike Dislike x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information