1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchase From Non Franchise Dealer - Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Android853sp, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Ha, ha. Haven't and won't see them again until the last round of the BSB in October. Verification of the warranty issue came from a franchised dealership and no prizes for guessing which one. Andy

2. Yeh I guessed that Andy, just wanted to upset Bradders o_O

3. Not much upsets me, so don't spend hours a day on that. Quite a lot amuses and amazes me.

Mainly how people are on the internet.

4. Yes, exactly! *old falling over Smiley*
    :):upyeah:

5. After seeing you there today Andy, was not surprised, it was only a matter of time !!! o_O

6. It's only temporary and part time until they hire staff to replace Tom who left recently. I'm good like that :). Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's how Roy started. 5 years back..,

8. Before any of you rely on any of the above I would like to point out a few things. English - not UK - law only applies to goods and services provided in the jurisdiction (if you are in Scotland or N. Ireland different rules may apply). Manufacturer's warranties may or may not be in addition to your statutory protections and are often subject to terms and conditions (as pointed out repeatedly above). Whether or not these terms and conditions are reasonable depends on the circumstances, not necessarily what is written in the terms and conditions of the warranty. If they are in breach of the various Consumer Protections Acts they may not bind the party they are designed to limit. On top of this you may have legal rights against the seller of the goods (in this case, one motorcycle) IF the seller made representations or warranties on the sale that later proved to be either misleading or down right porkies. The leading consumer rights case - Pamson's - relates to a Japanese vehicle that was returned as not fit for purpose (it was later found to have a blob of sealant misplaced in the engine) and the dealer stated the warranty did not cover the vehicle. They were later found to be liable outside the warranty. Now add the effect of EU law and conflicts of law (law which relates to determining which jurisdiction applies in what circumstances in conjunction with what rights either party may or may not have voluntarily surrendered) and you can guess how complex this can all become. Please, please do not make any assumptions without taking advice on the specific facts. This is a notoriously fraught area of law. And 'No', I am not volunteering to field a shed load of questions with or without payment. Bottom line - carefully read the terms and conditions of any warranty. They are likely to have been gone over with a fine tooth comb and with the benefit of hindsight. For what it's worth, this is the summary of the standard English Ducati warranty, it's international and transferable (subject to certain conditions):

"Three service coupons must be used to ensure continued validity of the conventional warranty Ducati offers consumers: at 1,000 km (or six months), 12,000 km (or 12 months) and 24,000 km (or 24 months), to be performed by any official Ducati workshop. In the case of the Hypermotard, Hypermotard SP and Hyperstrada bikes, starting with model year 2013, service coupons are for 1,000 km (or six months), 15,000 km (or 12 months) and 30,000 km (or 24 months). The warranty will be forfeited if the bike is repaired or overhauled by an unauthorised workshop, or if non-original parts are used; the warranty does not cover damage resulting from accidents, overloading and improper or negligent use, and does not apply to motorcycles used in sporting competitions of any type; motorcycles which are rented out are particularly subject to wear and damage as use and maintenance may not always be performed in accordance with the instructions in the Service Booklet.

The warranty is international, and is therefore also valid outside the country where the bike was purchased; it is transferred to the new owner if the bike is sold, and includes roadside assistance and Ducati Card Assistance medical insurance.

Detailed information may be found in the Service Booklet supplied with the bike."

One other thing - there is a time limit for registration of imported motorcycles with the DVLA/HMRC. If you buy an unregistered motorcycle be very, very careful about what you are doing as you could find yourself hit with a very large VAT bill and liability for non-registration when you try to register. Go to GOV.UK and search for 'NOVA' to find out more.

#48 Ratty, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I had a very painful experience buying a parellel import bike some years back from a well known dealer in the north of England. Regardless of the warranty situation I would advise anyone to steer clear of these traders. They are only concerned with selling bikes. Once you have the bike you cease to exist in their eyes. Sure you can quote the law and get heavy with them but who wants the hassle?

10. Don't understand what the confusion is. If it's within warranty period from the factory it's fine anywhere regardless who you buy it from.

If it isn't, and that could also be because the official importer increases on the factory one, its buyer beware

11. Similar thing was attempted back in the 'parallel import' days. Boiled down to UK dealers scaremongering due to being pissed off with savey UK buyers buying elsewhere and them having to do any (low rate) warranty work.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information