1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad Lock Users - Charging Solution

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by GarySN, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Only used for satnav

2. Well, there is not much more to say I’m afraid.
    It has nothing to do with filming whilst riding or not. I never used my camera when mounted and still it damaged the camera. I’m talking about a €1200+ Phone here, I was lucky it was still under guarantee, but I’m not taking any risk moving forward...
    You can easily google this issue and many threads will pop up. This is definitely a known issue, it’s just not clear for new buyers.

Maybe it is better to mount it on the tank like RexDangerVest. For sure it has to do with the constant vibrations. Through the bars it’s probably worse than the tank. But imo, the tank solution is quite ugly looking (n/o...).

This issue probably has more to do with the way phones are build than with the quad-lock itself. However, I stand by my point, what’s the point in a quad-lock if it’ll break the very thing it’s protecting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maybe mounting above the clocks makes for less harsh vibrations? That’s where mine’s always been across three bikes.

4. No worrys. At the time it was the only way I knew to do it without removing the steering damper.
    YOU could just use a ram mount on the bars (1 inch ball) with a short arm over to the quadlock with a 1 inch ball.
    Keep it on the bars but less vibration.

Rex

5. Not sure if my handlebar/stem mount will take the wireless charging unit. So waiting for an answer from them. This is an iPhone 8 max and will only mount portrait, and then only just.

80FEB0C1-200B-47EA-9D39-1121E0A9BD79.jpeg C

6. I am telling you... Go ram mount. They have a mount for everything and everywhere... Then buy the arm you like and use the Quadlock with 1 inch ball. They probably have something that mounts in the same place...
    You will be in landscape mode in no time.

Rex

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Have looked at the Ram Mount system and whatever I chose would obscure most of the instrumentation, so that is not the way to go.

Quadlock have come back to me despite saying that they were going to take 3 days to do so and they responded as follows: “Quad lock handlebar/stem mount is for cycling only and do not support any of our wireless charging head units. Quad Lock Motorcycle wireless charging head is compatible for motorcycle mounts while the Quad Lock Wireless Charging head is compatible for Car mounts and Desk mount only.”

8. Yikes - mine arrives today, and I'm planning on using it with an original bicycle mount. Will let you know if I have a problem.

9. Any pictures to illustrate this?

10. Are you using the mount attached to the bar with rubber bands?!?

11. Nope. I have it attached to a standard AMP pattern plate above the clocks (sorry, KTM Super Adventure). Was using rubber bands, but switched to cable ties - much firmer hold now, but only cos the bands were two and a half years old. They served their purpose.

The charging head arrived today and it can be used with the bicycle mount, but ends up standing about an inch proud of the plate it’s mounted to. Would prefer something neater, so haven’t permanently mounted it yet. Will post before and after pics eventually.

12. [QUOTE...............The charging head arrived today and it can be used with the bicycle mount, but ends up standing about an inch proud of the plate it’s mounted to..................[/QUOTE]

Most interesting, especially after Quadlock’s reply to that very question. Looking forward to the photos.

13. I have been looking at stopping this issue with an anti-vibration / dampened mount. I think if you can eliminate the high-frequency vibrations it should solve the problem of cameras failing.

20200611_160857051_iOS.jpg

20200611_160909383_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. My search for a neater solution led me here. There's a link to download an STL file for 3D printing an AMP compatible mount. My brother in law is knocking one up for me, so with a bit of luck I'll have it by the weekend. Hopefully it'll work as expected.

upload_2020-6-16_11-38-41.png
    Ordered these from Amazon to insert in the middle hole, and that should complete the kit.
    upload_2020-6-16_11-41-39.png

Dunno why Quadlock don't produce something like this.

15. Most interesting, especially after Quadlock’s reply to that very question. Looking forward to the photos.[/QUOTE]

I think their response was they don’t support it, not that they wouldn’t fit together: they all use the central bolt to mount fixings.. i suspect the reason they don’t support is the elastic bands would be a weak point. It does stand a bit proud so could be a bit neater tbh.

On charging capability i went out for a 1hr 45 ride, the phone was on about 70% when i left, i only used google play linked via Bluetooth to the headset without Nav, and it only got up to 92% charge - so i reckon it will handle Nav too but that it will not top up the charge particularity well. You’ll need to make sure your phone is topped up before you go out and want to use it at the other end.

16. What's the charger connected to? I notice that their SAE voltage converter (included) is capable of putting out a higher voltage based on what's drawing from it. I suspect this supports wireless fast charging better than the average 5v/2 amp setup.

17. €1200+ ...for a phone!?? :eek::confused:

#38 DarR, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  18. OK, the cycle mount cable-tied to the AMP plate...

IMG_4214.jpeg IMG_4210.jpeg IMG_4212.jpeg

and the same mount with the charger attached...

IMG_4207.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg

The AMP mount should arrive Thursday, so will post more pics once it's all assembled (hopefully for the last time)

19. I unplug the optimate and plug it straight into the SAE connector with the adapter provided.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information