1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Question Out Of Curiosity......adventure Helmets

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Funners, Mar 18, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Tried both decided on Adv

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Tried both decided on Road

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. So.... in the interest of scientific debate (honest) I have been isolating myself on my bike this afternoon and I thought I would do some back to back runs of
    a) Peaked
    b) Non Peaked

same roads, same time of day, same weather and probably most importantly the same lid
    As I have an E1 it is essentially a C3 (I think I said C1 up there somewhere ) it is literally a 2 min job to convert it and unlike some Adv lids it doesn’t look like some kind of Alien head without the peak fitted
    I covered approx 25 miles each “lap” and covered a good mix of fast flowing A road tight twisty B road and even some motorway to round it off, my findings are as follows :
    noise...in all honesty very little difference I’d be hard put to tell them apart

Life savers.... I was quite surprised to find Non Peaked MUCH easier at higher speeds... I’ve not noticed an issue Peaked but it was a definite improvement

Turbulence/Buffeting.... again little difference except when overtaking lorries in the M way where Non Peak was horrible

Low sun.... I have a very dark drop down and it was useless against a low sun, I found myself dipping my head which was no good as the top edge of the pinlock was in the way then

overall I still prefer the Peaked lid it’s shortfalls made up for massively by its ability to block the sun
    I also noticed I do lifesavers slightly differently with a Peak I tilt my head slightly to minimise the wind under it as you turn your head which is maybe why I’ve not really had an issue.. tho no denying Non Peak is noticeably easier in that dept but overall I dont think I’m gonna be changing to a Road Lid anytime soon

2. I have a DVT and use a tour x and find it fine. I gave away my x spirit 2 because the wind noise was unbearable. I genuinely rarely go above the speed limit if at all and have no neck pain

3. Tour X4 is nice and comfy / airy when it’s hot and I’m touring. Tends to get worn when I fancy seeing things and having a potter. Peak is a brilliant sunshade too. Wear a conventional helmet on the Multi or a modular. Modular is good for passport control situations as there’s less juggling involved, which is nice when moving a loaded bike, sometimes two-up and with gloves / passport to cope with as well. Removing helmet to prove who I am is not the end of the world but flip front makes it easy. Nice when hot to pootle with it open in towns etc too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information