1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Release Helmet Buckle?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by grant brooks, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Hi all,
    I’ve just bought a new helmet but it has the normal chin strap and I would like to convert it to a quick release buckle, can anyone recommend one?

2. I doubt such a thing exists as it would need to be tested to BS Standard.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Thanks for your reply, the do exist, just looking for peoples experiences with them

4. I thought i'd try one as more idiot-proof than conventional catch but overall it's a step backwards afaic, the catch assy is more bulky, much harder to adjust for tension and (on an LS2 type) quite tricky to latch quickly. To answer re: adapting your current helmet, you won't be able to adapt it yourself legally/acceptably as it has to be a std manufacturer fit to obtain approval/B.S Standard.

#4 Chris, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  5. Fair point

6. Thread moved

7. you meant an aftermarket catch adaption kit i'm guessing then - you are right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. That’s the one

9. the advantage of double d ring solution is that it forces you to tension the strap every time you put it on so that it fits right every time - that and it's a less bulky solution than the QR buckle. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. A proper solution is to convert the strap arrangement into a half-bloodknot (fishermen know what I mean by this) that loops around your neck.

That sucker ain't coming undone, not until you're ready.

(Dumhoff knot is acceptable, but fiddly af in this scenario)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1

12. This lid has a magnetic strap which is interesting.
    I’m not sure I’d feel safe with it to be honest but it must work fine.

13. I had a Shoei back in the 90’s with a fastening a bit like a small car seat belt affair. Bloody useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. I totally agree.

I wish manufacturers would stop ruining helmets by using a QR buckle (e.g. Shoei moving from a perfectly good D-ring to an annoying QR buckle :( for the new GT Air).

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I (must be odd) liked the old Shoei seatbelt strap fastener . Adjusted it once and it stayed adjusted except if my double chime grew (or shrank?). I also felt aggrieved when eu zone got the original GT Air with seatbelt fastener and we in Blighty got the double D (due to market preferences according to local lid dealer) , so was happy the new GT Air had the quick fastener though sad it’s not a good(? Reviews wise) as the mk1. I recently bought a TT Adv Mod flip front lid (based on Schuberth E1) and it has a fast fitting using a ratchet with lever for quick release, works great and as it’s ratchet the tightener moaners would get to tighten it as needed every fitting :p .

• Like Like x 1
  16. I once had a French helmet with no strap, you unclipped the bottom so the front and back swung down to put it on, once it was on you clipped the bottom parts to the main helmet.

17. Once you got used to it, what was the Vozz like to wear?

18. No it wasn't that one, it was the the bottom third with swung down at the front and back, I'll have to look through some old photos for the brand name, it wasn't legal in the UK, I bought it at the Bol D'or in about 1984

19. As this thread is drifting from the op thought I’d chop this in. The TT Adv Mod flip front lid also has a clamping like action on keeping your bonce in the lid as you have to lift the front jaw piece to get lid on or off. One the lid is closed there’s no way to remove from head even if strap is undone without probably dislocating/ breaking your jaw bone.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information