1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Quickshift Has Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rainman, Apr 23, 2018.

1. All I can add here, is that I consistently have issues with the QS mal-functioning and deciding for itself when it will work or not. Since ownership with circa 7k miles on the bike, it is utterly useless in any gear until going from 3rd to 4th and often decides for itself if it will function at all from 4th onwards.
    It does perform slightly better from 6th down the box, but still can be incredibly clunky.
    I've also re-set the tyre calibration and it has not really made any difference.

The bike will need to go back into the dealership in the near future anyway as once again the pannier on the RHS has fouled the exhaust and imprinted the top section with the rear face of the heat shield, giving a dimpled effect. This was rectified back in late February, but clearly still remains a problem, probably due to exhaust mis-alignment, even though the end can is positioned as far around and away from the pannier mount as it can possibly go currently.

At this point I'll also mention the QS issue and see what advice I'm given to rectify this also. As a direct consequence, I retain the use of the clutch and try not to bother with the QS, which seems such a waste as when it does work, from time to time, it can be pretty good to use. :poop:

2. Tony. Try the re-calibration in the menu for the quick shifter, if you haven't already.

My 1260 also has the exhaust issue. I changed the can to a ducati carbon one and was the same. Looks like the locator knob on the exhaust is wrong. I used a dremel on the can (Not the knob on the header pipe) and extended the groove that the locator pin slides into. This then allowed it to rotate to the correct position

3. The tyre calibration is simple to do but has nothing to do with the QS. Had no effect on mine.

4. I saw this issue on all the Multis in the showroom that had panniers attached, I told the salesman that if it fouled I would be back. 6 miles home and guess what, exhaust marked. They all seem to be the same and it really pisses me off that Ducati can let this happen.

Anyway with the Termi D193 end can now fitted there is no fouling!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not as I understand it.

I changed my front sprocket to a 14t and the QS didn’t work until I calibrated the tyres.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Mine stopped working as well, replaced under warranty. Dealer said they received info from the factory to check qs cable which can be too tight and as a result the internal wires can brake. That’s what happened to mine qs.

7. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162021-0001.pdf

8. Dealer replaced the shift link/load cell unit and the QS has been working well, at least 96 percent of the time. The occasional late engine pause on upshift and late blip on downshift.
    Definitely get smoother shifting manually. I wish there was a quick enable disable switch

9. I've had a look at the article regarding the QS cable position and potential incorrect routing/clearance and on the basis that this issue is one that Ducati actually recognise, using the 4-5mm clearance measurement between the cable and the gear change lever, mine is well in excess of this.
    This could be the problem, with the associated resolution means as explained within the article, however, my bike is now booked in for the pannier mount/exhaust contact problem and the QS issue as well. So with a bit of luck, once the exhaust section has been ordered and then re-fitted with the appropriate and necessary exhaust re-alignment carried-out, after the 13th August 2019, all should be well.
    Watch this space o_O

10. I had this too when I changed the rear sprocket. QS wouldn't work at all until I did a tyre calibration. I still have the flat spot and surge though. I hope my dealer recognises and cures the fault because I want it sorted before my warranty runs out.

11. :confused: Well I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in Riders, Bristol!
    I've been into the dealership from 8.45am this morning and having spent about 1.75 hours there, the guys have said they can't find anything at all wrong with the QS and that it functions 'normally'! I took issue with this outcome and suggested that the person road testing didn't actually know what they were on about, which as you can imagine, didn't go down that well. However, I did receive a Ducati crib-sheet, about how to use the QS properly, which I very politely rejected and re-affirmed that I attempted to use the QS correctly and that it was guesswork as to what was likely to happen in use and when I did, it was akin to a bag of loose spanners, with a pretty poor memory to boot; i.e. the QS didn't have recall as to what to do, how and when. Anyway that was a waste of time and effort, but then it got worse.

I also went in for the second time for the exhaust RHS damage caused by the pannier heat shield rubbing on the top section, due undoubtedly to flexing whilst under load and making contact with the exhaust. Riders asked that I come in to allow them to look at the issue and then as necessary to order a replacement part(s), or so I thought. Having examined the bike, I was asked if I could come back in again, this time with the pannier attached, so that they could investigate further, before determining what next steps to take, as they were required by Ducati to investigate further, due to the exhaust having previously been replaced for the same problem. (This was only back in February this year.)

I suggested that they should surely pre-order the exhaust top section anyway, prior to the, in my view, regrettable return trip with the pannier, so that they could carry out repairs. I was advised they couldn't do this, but would need to see the bike, re-assess and then order the necessary part(s), which for me would require another return trip. Having then explained that in total, this would necessitate 3 return trips for me, at around 4-5 hours per visit, making 13-14 hours of my time for this issue rectification, notwithstanding the fuel, etc. At least one of these trips was completely unnecessary due to my not being asked to arrive today with the sodding panniers attached, to help Riders carry out assessments on the bike, something I could easily have accommodated.

I made it abundantly clear I was far from impressed and didn't commit to making any re-visit arrangements yet, but clearly in order to get this situation resolved, I will need to in the future. :poop::mad:

To date and after a long association with Riders in Bristol, I haven't had any need to complain about them, but this time I feel pretty disgruntled and incredibly irritated. Very poor customer service from them!!!:confounded:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If it's any help, the Termi D193 end can does not interfere with the heat shield on the rhs pannier...

13. Sounds like your having a bad time there! I have had an issue with my quickshifter from day one on my 1260. My dealer Moto Rapido has looked at it twice, ridden the bike, and insist there is no fault. The inference being that it is something I am doing that causes the problem. I know for sure it is not. The bike has been faultless otherwise, and the dealer service has been excellent except that this problem has not yet been resolved.

14. Riders of Bristol selling their Multistrada 1200 demo bike a few days prior to my booking for a test ride back in 2016 yet not telling me until I had ridden the 60 odd miles there. My name and phone number were written in the salesman's diary... I wound up buying an MV Turismo due to that incident and have since steered clear, buying my 1260 from DMC Stoke instead.

15. Everyone wants to blame the dealer for what's usually their own shortcomings. Dealers must go through many procedures and get the official OK before ordering a warranty part. They will not do this on the customer's diasgnosis

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've a problem with my quick shifter on my 1260s, it put a yellow triangle on the dash warning. Looks like the circuit board to the QS is faulty you can buy the black plastic part you have to replace the lot at £236, not cheap! Domino's who make the electronic part won't supply that part, looks like a dealer supply part only.

17. My quickshifter stopped working on my 1260 also, it needed the complete quickshifter to fix it, black switch part wasn’t available separately

18. I'm going to Milan in October, I'll see if the bike dealer there can do a better price

19. Mine too , earlier this year

20. Get a Translogic sensor instead. The oem qs sensor is gash.
    TLS-DCS-M6-5VT3 - DCS Format Sensor 5V with M6 Thread (with M6 male & female rod ends) £175+del+vat = ~£225 (jan'22)

Or if you are in a hurry or don't want to stretch to that pm me for my old one which is working as good as new (ie not that good).

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information