1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickshifter

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by magpie21, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Just went out on mine....QS is working again...it was a case of messing around with the sensor. It has to register over 40% for it to work...i havent got my instructions anymore so it was a case of pissing around with those dish shaped washers that go either side (im not sure which way round they go but mines working) i still dont think my cut test works though....

2. The washers go around the sensor like this (0)

3. I had a quick blast and I had forgotten how fun quickshifters are!! I'm really impressed with the Healtech. Seemed good working on the auto setting.

4. I fixed mine at 60ms (stopped a couple of times) i did set off with it on auto but it seemed to slow (it felt like the gear was just about engaging) - if you leave it on auto do you have to change a few times for it to learn it??

5. I set it up on the paddock stand. It ran through a few values and I had to change gear three times and drop back to neutral. I'll have a play round with it again tomorrow afternoon. Saying that, I am happy with the settings so I see how it goes.

6. Is that the "adaptive" setting?.....i spent a week messing around with mine in the garage trying to get the cut test work then at the end of the week when i went out on it and it worked i left it at 55ms (what my zed is on - HM Quickshifter)...just seemed like a good starting point...

7. I went through the setup up wizard.

I'm surprised my cut off time is so high. I'll have a play with it tomorrow afternoon. I've had HM Plus on previous bikes and I'm sure that was set around 52-55ms.

8. Remember that you need a much longer time for the gear change in the higher gears.

Most aggressive shifting is done at higher revs in the lower gears. As you get up in terminal speed, you’re shifting at far lower revs ( like from 4th-5th-6th). The gearbox is doing potentially half the speed so it needs much longer to actually find the gear without crashing it in and stressing the selector forks.

If it is not adjustable for ignition cut timing for each individual gear at specifics revs (I don’t know this product) and it has only one cut time for all gears, you need to set it up for the high gears, not the short ones. If you don’t, you can risk damage. These bikes weren’t designed for QS, keep that in mind.

The quick shifter on the modern Ducati’s are “smart’. They change at different speeds depending on:-
    -Speed
    -Revs
    -Gear you’re in
    -Aggression of lever push/pull
    They protect the box from too short ignition cuts in the high end of the box which will/could eventually cause terminal damage.

Always stay on the side of caution here and give yourself a longer cut time than you think you need. I’ve seen plenty of gearbox damage from poorly adjusted QS.

It’ll still be as much fun, and lots safer.

Mart

#28 Martin Ducati Glasgow, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Yeah - thats the thing..."knowing that the 'feel' is right on the gear change".....something im not sure if ive got right yet....but having said that my z1000 is set to 55ms and was fitted 3 years ago...the bike gets used on average 3 or 4 times per week. I dont use the qs that much but it does get used. When the motor was split on the Hyper last year Ducati John noted that the gearbox was in perfect nick...

10. I hear you loud and clear but they’re very different bikes and gear boxes. It’s verging on impossible to really “feel” the gear properly as your accelerating like a mad thing half the time.
    That said, I’m sure you’re gearbox is fine and I know John really knows his stuff.
    Often there’s no outward signs of this stress until you strip a gear (as lots of power is being applied on only part of the gear as opposed to the whole face) or the selector fork can give up and bend/break. The only warning you get is a bit of a dodgy shift, a sticky lever and then pop! Then you’re into a world of shit and swearing.

As I said, stay on the safe side with a longer cut and don’t try to make the shift too slick and close.

Mart

11. Yep...gotta confess now its working ill use it sparingly.....it currently feels "the rightest" when im shifting up around 7 to 8k...apparently the adaptive mode is better as the qs does monitor the revs....might do a bit of reading up....be nice if it was like my rsv4 - ive got the old one, the pre aprc. Fitted the shifter from the rs125 and then had the ecu flashed to enable it...

12. Yeah, as long as you’re aware of the concept, it’s half the battle.

Have fun.

Mart

13. Yep...obviously i want to get the feel right as soon as i can as the more testing can possibly wear the gearbox faster than i want to. ! :)

14. Just thinking about that, if it feels better at higher revs that means higher box speed. Try a longer cut and it should feel “the rightest” across a wider Rev range.

15. Cheers. Not sure im going to get out tomorrow....lashing down with rain here at the moment and, i burned through all my brownie points today spending most of the day in the garage...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. @Jim89 - just for the record which way do the dish shaped washers go on each side of the sensor?....havent got my instructions anymore...

17. Cheers for the info Martin, that's good to know.

Comfy- the washers should look like this around the sensor (0) That's how it's described in the instructions.

18. Cool. Thanks very much.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information