1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quotes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by XH558, Mar 24, 2019.

1. For long you live and high you fly
    And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
    And all your touch and all you see
    Is all your life will ever be

Roger Waters

• Like Like x 2
  2. Every man on planet earth has his price in life during negotiations

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Deceits favorite role is playing victim

Paul Galindo

4. re: "deceit":-

So here I am, in the middle way, having had twenty years—
    Twenty years largely wasted, the years of l'entre deux guerres
    Trying to use words, and every attempt
    Is a wholly new start, and a different kind of failure
    Because one has only learnt to get the better of words
    For the thing one no longer has to say, or the way in which
    One is no longer disposed to say it.
    And so each venture
    Is a new beginning, a raid on the inarticulate
    With shabby equipment always deteriorating
    In the general mess of imprecision of feeling,
    Undisciplined squads of emotion.
    And what there is to conquer
    By strength and submission, has already been discovered
    Once or twice, or several times, by men whom one cannot hope
    To emulate—but there is no competition—
    There is only the fight to recover what has been lost
    And found and lost again and again: and now, under conditions
    That seem unpropitious.
    But perhaps neither gain nor loss.
    For us, there is only the trying.
    The rest is not our business.

George Byron

• Like Like x 4
  5. Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance. My calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness. Compassion & tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.

Dalai Lama

• Like Like x 3
  6. "l have given up newspapers, in exchange for Tacitus and Thucydides, for Newton and Euclid, and l find myself much happier."

Thomas Jefferson

• Like Like x 3
  7. Think Rich, look poor.

A.Warhol

8. "In the Future, Everyone Will be World Famous for 15 Minutes"

9. Robert F Kennedy put it well half a century ago "fellowship, community, shared patriotism", these essential values do not come from buying & consumming goods together, they come from dignified employment, a decent pay. The kind of employment that enables us to say I helped too build this country. I am a participant in it's great public ventures. This civic sentiment is largely missing from our public life today. We often assume the money people make is the measure of their contribuition to the common good. But this is a mistake. Martin Luther King junior explained why reflecting on a strike by sanition workers in Memphis Tennessee shortly before he was assassinated. King said "The person who picks up our garbage is in the final analysis as important as the physician for if he doesn't do his job diseases are rampant, all labour has diginity." Todays pandemic makes this clear it revealed how deeply we rely on workers we often overlook. Delivery workers, warehouse workers, truckers, nurse assistants. Child care workers, home healthcare providers these are not the best paid or most honoured workers. But now we see them as essential workers; this is a moment for a public debate about how to bring their pay & recognition into better alignment with the importance of their work. It is also time for a moral even spiritual turning questioning are meritocratic hubris. Do I deserve the moral talents to enable me too flourish, is it my doing. That I live in a society that prizes the talents I happen too have or is that my good luck? Insisting that my success is my doing makes it hard to see myself in other peoples shoes. Appreciating the role of luck in life can prompt a certain humility, there but for the grace of god or the mystery of fate go I. This spirit of humility is the civic virtue we need now, it's the beginning of a way back from the harsh ethic of success that drives us apart, it points us beyond the tyranny of merit too a less rancorous generous public life.

Michael Joseph Sandel - The tyranny of merit

#590 GunZenBomZ, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Even a blind chicken finds the corn occasionally

11. To, not too. Just saying

12. Build not built as well ….. or maybe drop the ’helped’ ….. but so what? Very strong message

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. It's okay, I'll PM you the video link. It's easier to read the pictures..

Before anyone assumes wrongly, I do have his book but its behind a schedule for reading.

14. An Ex-US boss used this to get the point across, "I'm as serious as a heart attack".

• Like Like x 2
  15. I was pointing out poor grammar. I don’t need to read pictures

16. Yeah, I was taking the piss

• Like Like x 1
  17. Get my furry hat now you jonny - we are going to invade China

Attila the Hun

18. Positive AM thoughts, breakfast for champions.

19. Another cracker from Samuel Clemens
    ( ...... who ?? )
    :)

There are so many winners to choose from !

" It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool ,
    than to open it and remove all doubt. "

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information