1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 R

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by JoeC, Oct 29, 2017.

1. So, one of my suppliers has offered me this today (which means he's charging his customers too much) at just north of 30k€. I'm tempted as the 1198R has been on my shopping list for a couple of years now and very few of them come available. The dilemma I have is, if I buy this it will just about blow my budget for the D16RR I had been hoping to buy this year (although haven't found yet) and would mean putting that off for a while.
    I also have my eye on an ex World SuperStock 1098R/RS at around half the money which is also available now. Neither bike would come back on to the market once in my ownership so future value is not a consideration.
    1198R (2).jpg
    I guess the question I'm asking is: Does the 1198R represent fair value or is it just a slightly rarer 1098R/1198S at twice the price?
    Opinions gratefully accepted!

• Like Like x 3
  2. 1098R Baylis are more than this now if you believe the ads and they are the same as the red ones - little difference between the 1098R and 1198R - main one being the paint and alloy tank. Small Engine differences.
    Price seems reasonable and you might not find another for a long time - plenty of D16's out there so jump at it, and try and barter a little :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ps, they only made 72(ish) so pretty fricking rare.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1098RS2.jpg
    This is the 1098R/RS. I'm not trying to be a flash cunt here btw, I'm trying to make an informed choice with the budget I have available and will literally be dining on wood shavings for the rest of the year whatever I buy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Very rare bike. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'm thinking something in the high 20's!

7. 1198R is a no brainer for me, deffo and it will be worth more when you leave it in your will (to me) not that you have to die soon after all winter is looming :)

8. My 1098R :motorcycleduc: has a fresh new alloy tank on it. You can have it for £30k. Bargain, honest. :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I've never seen a 1198R. I expect if I did I'd make a little mess.

10. I’d do for the RS at half the price and eat properly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. But does 'rare' represent value? You don't see many Sinclair C5's these days either!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Now you're talking! :yum

13. That might be what ends up happening, the only fly in the ointment is it's in Czech and I'm a little pushed to go and see it!

14. Go for a test ride at Brno.

I'd be tempted by the Riders 1098RS at around £30-35k

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The girlfriend sheepishly told me she spend 600€ shopping on Friday, so I replied with 'I bought another motorbike' just to sow the seed and she didn't bat an eyelid!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. What do you want to do with it is what I'd be asking myself, if it's high speed tracks then I'd be tempted by the RS if they're similar money, but the RS' make their power advantage in a rev range that will see you tearing the motor down a lot more frequently.

If I was in the market for one I'd want an 1198R, rare as fk and the best of the 1x98R models IMO, problem is the price

If you can find a nice 1098R at near-half the money it's practically the same thing and leaves you a 10K+ wedge spare...

1098R with the cams dialled and the fuel and ignition maps optimised would leave you a 10K+ wedge spare... for practically the same thing and would be better than either left the factory.

One of the most beautiful bikes Ducati have made IMO, but I think I'd go the 1098R route as above as I wouldn't be able justify the price difference to myself at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I had a look at that one a couple of years ago (they had two I think) and decided it was over priced. This one, 1098RS1.jpg
    is 16k€ with a far better pedigree!

18. If the RS is half that price, that leaves you 15k for engine rebuilds every few thousand kms. Sounds the way to go for me if its as a centre piece/occasional track tool :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information