1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 In The Garage

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by cookster, May 10, 2019.

1. I still have my 98 red/white R1 ,after 20 years i still love it ,even though over the years it has tried to kill me a couple of times with massive headshakes,last one was last year at Henstridge bike night where they run a sprint on the runway.

It did not straighten out until about 135 and then i nearly ran out of runway,after forty years of riding /racing that was the closest i have come to a major off !

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mileage/pics please:thinkingface:

3. 80B13E90-F376-4355-B132-C04BEEE24A75.jpeg Don’t think I’ll ever sell mines

• Like Like x 7
  4. 21 thousand miles,and i will take a picture when i am down with the bikes next week .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I’m selling my modded Hypermotard sp for something like this

• Like Like x 2
  6. My old 4xv could be up for sale

7. All UK R1’s come with a factory fit immobiliser. It’s not visually apparent but it’s there. The key has a tiny transponder within, picked up by the sender unit attached to the ignition barrel.
    Some non Uk spec bikes were brought in which didn’t have this fitted. Easiest way to check is have a blank cut in a shop, plain metal, and you’ll probably find it won’t start but turn on.
    The 07-08 4c8 models had more top end rush being a 4 valve but the 5vy better lower grunt.
    I built a highly modified 5vy which was voted best R1 worldwide in 2009 on R1 forum.

Best bike I’ve ever owned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 4611580C-82C5-49D8-8FA3-B334EABAEE23.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Heres my bike , IMG_0697.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  11. Nice bike, I nearly bought one the other day for track but I thought to my self my 899 wakes me up every time I pin it in race so an R1 is just over egging the pudding for my self. So got a 675 instead. Fair plays.

12. I have had the bike 20 years now , great bike and fantastic memories, but have to admit i am now loving my 1200R monster ,

• Like Like x 1
  13. Another R1 owner here. Had my 08 since new, such a cracking bike.
    Cookster is yours standard paint, or a non UK bike ?
    I thought all the uk 07-08 blue ones had gold wheels.
    Yours looks like the US colour scheme to me. Just asking as ive not seen an 08 one like that.

14. @John W Hi mate yeah I think it's a US important as the coolant temperature in in Fahrenheit and there's no imobilizer on it either. Your observations confirm my thoughts.

15. OK. Glad it didn't come as a surprise ;)
    You could try a vin number check but I'm not convinced you can determine what market it was for. A dealer should be able to tell you though.

FYI my 08 bikes vin looks like JYARN191000xxxxxx
    And engine number N515E0xxxxxx
    Engine and frame numbers don't match.

Cracking bikes. Every time I think about selling it I take it for a blast and change my mind :blush:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yeah my chassis number is the same.

I've just got to sort the shite Barry bits out then il be happy.

I'm really not worried thst it's an import , it makes no difference to me , like the idea of no imobilizer on it either . I've got an ohlins shock on order for it and going to put some sticky rubber on her too.

#58 cookster, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. @Shoboshi tried that didn't really come up with much

Do Not Sell My Personal Information