1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator Leak And Top Up

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Jerry H848, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Hi Guys
    hopefully you can help , so the bike (848 sf ) was in the dining room for 2 months from when I bought it with no sign whatso ever of leaks , finally got round to insuring and fitting a floor clamp in the garage , checked the expansion tank which appeared to be bone dry , filled up to just below max , fired the bike up run up the road for approx. a mile seemed fine .
    next day noticed a damp patch on the garage floor (opposite side of expansion tank ) coming from lower triangle rad , believe there prone to leaking from there ? I guess from being shot blasted by road grit etc .
    getting the rad fixed by gmx is no problem but without wanting to sound stupid when refilling in the cap by the ignition how do you know what the level should be ?
    I'm used to mx bikes so its easy to see in the cap , but is the street fighter fill to the top/below filler cap same as the mx bikes sorry to sound blond !!!
    appreciate any help thanks jerry

2. That's the oil cooler - the leak is probably dripping down from the rad above, top left (as your sat on the bike) near the top mounting bracket - unless it's oil on the floor :thinkingface:

3. No defo coolant ,will get out and have a look 2moz to be honest I thought the top and bottom were both for coolant not the bottom one oil , how stupid do I look lololl thanks for the heads up

4. Just checked top and bottom rads linked by one hose on the rhs so both coolant , are you thinking of different bike ? cheers jerry

5. Sorry, (had my 999 head on) the oil cooler is behind it - the lower is the oil cooler rad (carries coolant) - but the leak will likely be from the top rad near the bracket which is where they usually go. Too much wine :bucktooth:

#5 Exige, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I believe there is a heat exchanger around the cam cover of the horizontal cylinder, in between the 2 rads.

I think it's definitely a coolant leak. The Superbike radiators were prone to leaking on the top LHS corner bracket (this is the top radiator on your bike). I'd start looking for the highest point of the wet patch on your radiator(s)

7. i have a spare set of SF upper an lower radiators if you need them..

8. can you have too much wine lololl cheers !

9. thanks all will have a good look tomorrow see where it originates from , on the filling up side , just fill up to top f cap and make sure expansion tank at level ?
    ta jerry

10. Maybe I hadn't had enough :thinkingface: yes fill to the top of the cap and make sure the level is between the high and low on the expansion tank - half way between the two marks. If totally flushing watch for air locks and re check after the first run or two.

11. Chuffed to bits , had a good look turns out the jubilee clip above wasn't fully done up could see the track , cleaned up done up fully all good !!:upyeah::upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information