1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Radiator

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Roadtrip, Aug 29, 2019.

1. No longer available, when i asked last year.

2. ah, sorry, a little tired, thought we were on the "848" rad post. I have a couple of spares but neither immaculate.

3. Just fitted this to 996 all brackets lined up with no tweaking, haven’t tried the fairing yet but new radiator is only 2mm wider 42149023-C4B3-4A47-B3AD-9BFBDF343597.jpeg E3C4F5F7-A21B-4467-8168-D24FD7E275C3.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Found it on facebook 5 months, £450,
    That’s the same one as I had. I could manipulate the brackets to fit, but biggest problems was the square edges at bottom of radiator rubbing into the fairings. I think when you put it on, needs to be more inwards as far as you can get into the bike to bring those bottom edges back, even then it was still rubbing and the coolant hose side was stuck way out. Shame as it really did look quite nice with my Ali coolant expansion tank. You may be lucky though hopefully.

5. Arg I won’t sleep tonight until I try the fairing. Fingers crossed :confused:

6. Well, I have both slab type fairings and the vented. It’s with the slab type, in picture, it seems worse, switching to the vented version I reckon it just stays clear of it, only just. The Side depth of the Chinese rad is also 0.8cm longer, which makes a big difference and as mentioned being square edge and not rounded like the oem. Both are oem Ducati fairings. I might see if I can pull it back a tad as I want the slab type fairings

6CB756E4-43DC-4E2E-BEB8-3FE2B0C7B115.jpeg

#26 Chris.King1, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. You are right, no way in hell is the fairing going on.even pushed as far back as possible without the pipes connected
    The fairing just doesn’t fit right
    Ah well wonder what a recore costs

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Thats a shame :(

9. I have been looking at these radiators for a couple of years now. Always wondered if they fit. I guess that answers that. Could you cut the endtanks down a bit where they foul and weld an ali plate over the hole or are they never going to fit?

10. I did clean the paint of a old original one and spend a few hours straightening the wavey ribs with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then repaint with some heatproof silver (Krylon radiator paint rattle can I think). Came out pretty good actually.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don’t think you could, it needs about 10mm of the core
    Left side caught on the weld and right side was hard up against the flat edge about halfway down the radiator

12. Thanks may try that first

13. It's such a shame, the bare aluminium one looks decent quality. No good to man or beast if it's the wrong size. I looked into making them some years ago. A straight core in that size is dirt cheap. Make end tanks, weld them on, all no problem. The minute you ask for curved cores the price went up 5 fold. Just wasn't worth doing.

14. Tedious work but strangely satisfying.

15. Yes just been searching the web recore on curved radiator from £295 plus vat
    New pair of pliers it is :)

16. Sorry to hear that, stick to oem. Ball ache as I had to drain my new coolant, should have tried fairings first. Although radiator change is easy. Such shame as they do look nice, but it would crack your fairings in time even if you just managed to squeeze the fairings on

17. Can I just ask, it's the core that is too wide in the first place? And then the end tanks are too square on top of that? I'm asking because the finished radiator is cheaper than Incan buy a curved core here. I did have a few emails back and forth with one of the Chinese suppliers but decided against buying one. Wondering if it's worth asking them for a price on just the core, even if it's 10 mm wider, and making the rest to fit both the core and the bike. Slightly narrower ends is probably not going to make any difference. Does the curve of the core look right?

18. It does look right but maybe the curve is too curved. I thought about getting 5mm taken out of the ends but that wouldn’t work without taking a bit out of the curve. Hope that makes sense

19. I’ve got the cleanest coolant system on the island :D It’s a real shame they are well made, you’d think they’d make them right and sell loads

20. I think I understand. So basically they look good at first glance but are a bit sh....t.
    It's finding the right people over there. They can do amazing stuff. Just had a bronze table cast in China. They have fantastic craftsmen but it's hard to know who is really good from 1000s of miles away.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information