1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-waterproofing Textile Jacket And Trousers.

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Alan williams, Jun 15, 2019.

1. I've that rst gear, tbh I've tried using nik wax and stuff and it still gets in. Some products posted I've never seen before so might give them a go.
    I know rukka is the only way to go but I'm still poor

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. @evoarrow RST is good Ive had mine 6 years (50,000 miles in all weather) washed it for the first time this year and treated it with Fabsil Gold and it's as good as new.

• Like Like x 2
  3. No I'm Not trashing RST, I've 2 RST suits, just saying I've tried coatings and they haven't worked, for me. I wear mine for 2 hours a day 5 days week in all weather and its not a crap product, but my ass and belly and eventually arms get wet. The adventure suit has zips everywhere so probably doesn't help.
    I will give that fabsil a go. Tbh I only ever really wash the inner and winter layers not the jacket and trousers

#23 evoarrow, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Missed out the word 'NOT' in my post.

5. After borrowing a V4S whilst my Multistrada was in for a service my Dainese Goretex kit was filthy. It was raining on and off all day and it's harvest time in Herefordshire =lots of mud on the road. This doesn't happen on my bike which has better, of should I say it has, rain/spray protection.

Anyway, decided to give my jacket and trousers a wash. Removed linings and all amour. Washing machine on delicates wash each separately with Nikwax Tech Wash, then with Nikwax TX Direct, tumble dry on low after drip drying for a while. Then I sprayed with Fabsil Gold, used a whole can on both garments. Hang in shed to dry. They look good and the surface feels like it will repel water well.

Off out on the bike today and tomorrow and then abroad for 11 days on Sunday. Will report back one I've encountered some decent foul weather.

• Like Like x 5
  6. I do wonder if something like the Fabsil product will also damage the breathability of the fabric. I wouldn't want to end up with a boil in the bag suit after using it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. @chrisjk I wouldn't have thought that that would be an issue. I applied Fabsil Gold with a 3" paint brush and most of it appeared to evaporate very quickly so that you couldn't see where you'd been. It wasn't like applying varnish.

8. The spray Fabil that I used is quite a fine mist. All it does is adds water repellency to the outer shell so that liquid beads up and runs off and doesn't soak in so much. I doubt very much if it would have an effect of breath-ability of the inner GorerTex layer unless spayed directly onto it. The Cordura outer shell is a reasonably course weave.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information