1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Really Struggling To Decide....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by robmeister1969, May 17, 2018.

1. Hi all. Relatively new to this forum.

Currently have 3 bikes - 09 VFR,16 VFR and an S1000RR.

I’m planning to go down to one new bike and my intention was for that to be a Multistrada as it has the best aspects of my current bikes.

Took a 1260S out for an hour and thought it was a really good bike, riding position a little unfamiliar, but it didn’t blow me away.

Have since tested an FJR 1300 (always had a long term liking for them) but maybe feel it’s a bit dated and a Z1000SX which despite being a wet day, was really great, but wondered if it’s really special enough.

I really want a good one bike all rounder that I will use throughout the year on my 70 mile commute.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.....

2. welcome rob hope you get some honest views from other members.

3. You do realise that this is a site stuffed with Multistrada fans?
    Is it just the 70 mile commute that concerns you? I suspect there is touring involved too. I haven't owned, or even ridden, an FJR 1300 or a Z1000SX, but from road tests I get the impression they are rather less versatile than a Multi. You have to really like Japanese four cylinder bikes (which given your garage might be the case) to choose one of them over a 1260. Multistrada means many-roads, and that is what a Multi gives you, from our broken potholed highways to race tracks. It does them all with aplomb and and great speed.
    I'm a little surprised how underwhelmed you were with the test ride. Was the bike too new to fully open the throttle? Did you try Sport mode, or Touring on a bumpy road to explore the semi-automatic suspension.
    It's your money, but I don't see your chosen competition putting up much of a fight. Your S1000RR is probably its nearest competitor and you already have one of those. Complete with cruising speed handlebar vibes from what I've heard. Take a look at a Multi alongside your BMW and see which one looks the best designed ergonomic and quality package.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. You're on about the S1000XR, that's not what he has. ;)

5. Oops! An easy mistake to make. Maybe he should try an S1000XR:) Stupid manufacturers using long strings of numbers and acronyms just to kid the gullible into thinking it's something secret and special.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I think the XR is potentially a very good bike - never ridden one, but a less tuned version of my S1000RR - but one think my new bike must have is LED lights. I have these on my VFR. They add to the looks and really help drivers notice you when you filter - I tend to flash them as I progress.

7. I've ridden one. Bloody vibey :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. It’s reported that they’ve dealt with the vibes on the latest MY but as I say not for me without LEDs. Also not keen on the dash which is very similar to my S1000RR. If those two issues were dealt with, I would defined take a look but not sure if I’m still a fan of the asymmetric look.

9. Personally and this is only my opinion, it's fecking ugly as sin. o_O
    Even the pannier mounts look like scaffold, the exhaust is ugly, the front is ugly, it's just ugly to my eyes, and I don't think an IL4 suits the adventure type sports tourers. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Welcome Dave and introduce yourself properly in the newbies section

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've only just come to a Multi 1260 from mainly Japanese, including an XJR1300 which as you will know is essentially the same motor as the FJR which you mention. It was a good bike but heavy and not agile to say the least and I believe the FJR is similar in that regard, and it was also buzzy vibey at cruising speed. My advice for what it's worth is to maybe look elsewhere. If you didn't get a good enough feeling about the 1260 in a hour you probably never will. I was hooked within minutes!

12. Multi can do it all, and imho they get better the more they are sued, and become unreliable when left for long periods unused. It will feel a little slow compared to a s1000rr, but then what doesn’t, but I can ride all day at 3 figures and get off with no pains, aches or stress. Personally, there is nothing out there to compare. @Bumpkin ’s MV goes and looks well, but I’d miss the torque (his is an 800 triple) as I am a lazy rider and like just rolling on and off.

Only way I wouldn’t use for commuting was into London: the bars are very wide.

Not ridden a KTM but @Mac loves his and it shoes well enough

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Interesting Bradders. My commute everyday is into the City of London!

14. Get a big scooter lol

Multi is really wide in the bars. My mate had a ktm 990sm and mine was a good 6 inches both sides wider.

15. Rob, I'm on my 3rd Multistrada now. As others have said it is a fantastic 'do it all' bike. I think you need another test ride !

However, if your commute involves riding into London I'd use a 'unattractive to scrotes' cheap bike to commute on and leave the Multi for fun rides and touring. I wouldn't want to risk leaving an £18-20k bike unattended for more than 20 seconds in London at the moment. My POS 50k miles BMW R1200RT has not attracted any unwanted attention yet :p

16. Have you thought about a Tuono or s1000r? Ok may not be as good at touring, but sports riding and every day stuff they are perfect. My mate has used a Tuono for 3 yrs now, about 80 miles per day into Oxford in all weathers no problem. Then does trackdays on it too

17. Welcome Rob.

I think you're going to struggle to find anything with the characteristics of your S1000RR. The Multi is a hugely capable machine, and whilst it is technically a tall sportsbike, it's not a direct replacement for one. When my hairs on fire I reach for my MT-10SP rather than my 1260S. Don't get me wrong, the 1260S is a step closer in terms of performance than the previous MY 1200 DVT, but you're going to have to work it hard to keep up. It will keep up, but it's not as sharp, but that actually makes it more rewarding, plus you've got the benefit of comfort and practicality.

I've been through a few VFR's myself, going back to the earlier 750 and the first gen 800. I also had an FJR1300 and whilst it's fantastic touring tool that's only really where it excels. Filtering is a bit of a nightmare because it's so damned wide. Fantastic engine though.

Saying that, if you are looking to get a Multi as your only bike then I think it would certainly take some beating. I honestly believe that of the "do it all" machines out there, the Multi is the better and more flexible option and something which you'll want to ride all year round, whereas a true sportsbike only really comes into it's own during the better weather.

If you're like me, then as much as you'll enjoy the Multi then you'll still want to keep hold of your S1000RR. It's nice being able to jump on a 4 cylinder bike for a change. As good as the L twin is it can sometimes feel a bit less refined and a bit agricultural compared to a 4 cylinder. My trouble is that I love twins for the type of riding that the Multi provides, but I also love a revvy, peaky, screaming 4.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Have you tried a ktm 1290 super duke gt

19. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I love trying to decipher some of your posts :D

20. I think they're actually very different engines. The FJR uses the forward inclined cylinders and has the tri-stacked bottom end, which is derived from the pre cross plane crank R1. I'm pretty sure the XJR was air-cooled which was part of the reason why they stopped making it and it had it's last hurrah in 2011 ... it would never had made it through Euro 4.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information