1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Really Struggling To Decide....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by robmeister1969, May 17, 2018.

1. Hypermotard or Monster would be better suited for commuting in London IMHO.

2. I stand corrected, I assumed rather than knew:blush: Yes the XJR was air cooled up until 2005 and in my opinion better than the later injected one, not least because it didn't have a bazooka for a silencer!
    I think my point about lack of agility with the FJR, certainly compared to the Multi is a valid one though. And if a bike doesn't light your fire after an hours riding it probably never will.

#22 Groundhog, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  3. It’s great to have received so many views and comments in such a short period.

Whilst the S1000RR is a great bike and there are times I love it, I’m not that great a rider to get more than maybe 50% of its performance. I think turning 49 today, I’m growing out of sports bikes having had a few in my time including a couple of R1’s, GSX-R 750 and a Ninja 636. To be fair, I’ve probably enjoyed the 600/750s over the one litres.

Comparing the performance of the 1260s, I remember looking down and seeing 94 in no time and then later wondering if the speedometer was set to kph rather than mph as it didn’t feel that I was going as fast as the speedo indicated!! For me, the 1260 has more than enough performance.

I’m lucky that I have a parking space in the basement at work so am fortunate that I don’t need to park too often out in the open. I do worry a little about parking near Arsenal when I’m at a home game though.

Generally speaking, I don’t think a wide bike is too bad for commuting (at least on my route). For me, it’s about the mirrors and their height. I occasionally have the panniers attached on my VFR and it’s more about the width of the bike behind that worries me, sometimes holding my breath.....

Maybe I need another demo on a Multistrada to remind myself as it was a few weeks since my test ride. I expected to want to buy it there and then, but just felt I need to think it over. I really want to want it and worry that if I buy one of the others, I’ll regret not buying the Multistrada.

Maybe the appeal of the FJR is a very solid and reasonably well featured bike that is very highly regarded and is in many ways an ‘upgrade’ on the VFR. It has LED’s, heated grips, cruise control, luggage capacity, big petrol tank, etc and I can also get a good deal on the bike, but I think it looks it’s age and doesn’t look great without the panniers. I also love the sound when you blip the throttle.

I’m going to try the Z1000SX again as it was a wet day when I test rode it. Again it sounded great, looks up to date and with the touring pack, akrapovic’s, heated grips etc is less than £12k. Reviews are excellent and I think it’s a very impressive bike at a good price.

Maybe something for me about the 1260S is the price (and availability)? Over £18k with the panniers. It does also have the quickshifter which I have on my S1000RR and my VFR (upshift only) and have got to be quite a fan.

As an alternative, I know of a 1200S Tourer unregistered at a smidge over £15k - would you pay the extra £3k for the 1260S over the 1200s?

4. As an alternative, I know of a 1200S Tourer unregistered at a smidge over £15k - would you pay the extra £3k for the 1260S over the 1200s?

I probably would if it is affordable. The 1200 DVT is 90% the same as a 1260, but the 1260 engine delivers more torque lower down which where you need it. There are other improvements too; the quickshifter you mentioned, an improved settings interface on the dash, slightly longer wheelbase which claims to improve stability. There's more I'm sure, and if I could chop my bike in with £3k for the change I'd do it.

5. You bragger Paul.......;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I deliberated for a while for various reasons before test riding the Multi. Like you I really wanted to like it. For me personally it was love at first ride and the more I ride it the more I like it. It's a lot of cash to shell out if your not sure though. Good luck with your eventual choice, whatever it is:upyeah:

7. As many have said - the Multi is a GREAT bike - but if for whatever reason it did not do it for you in and hour - either you were riding in a city so could not use it or its not a bike for you.

You need a test ride with good fast country roads - where you can use the speed and feel the suspension on the S do its job - its rediculously fast - without trying.

I had a VFR1200 before the Multi and that probably had a better engine - fast and smooth being V4 - but was let down by its weight and poor handling.

100 mph on the VFR seemed fast - the multi you are at 120 and sometimes think you could get off and walk faster - its that much of a relaxed ride - Its good for 150 to 160 mph - but equally happy at 30 and 40 too.

However - I would not buy one as an every day commuter - I would buy a 500CC Jap bike for that - that is CHEAP to run.. Chain / Sprockets / Tyres etc.. plus fuel consumption and then have the Multi for fun...

Maybe the scrambler or monster 800 also would be OK as a commuter - but Ducati nuts and bolts and annodising likes to be looked after and protected... especially in winter.

I have both a Multi and Scrambler - but they are only for pleasure.... I use a car for transport.

8. General theme suggests the Multi wouldn’t be a great choice as a commuter, which is probably say 10,000 miles a year for me.

I don’t do much in the way of ‘for fun’ mileage or any touring.

If I do go for the Multi, I’m inclined to keep my 2009 VFR to share some of the mileage, but really the idea is to just have one bike occupying space in the garage.

Might have to defer the second test ride on the Z1000sx until tomorrow as a meeting has landed in my diary this afternoon

9. For me the 1260S is ideal if you only want 1 bike. I sold my S1000XR and Panigale 1199S to get it, and it does everything I need. It is far more comfortable than the XR - better seat & suspension - and just as fast.

Agree with Simon, the Ducati nuts and bolts corrode far too easily but it's quite inexpensive to replace with stainless steel items.

10. Hmm. I’m sure this indecision is impacting my sleep quite a lot now!!

Going to try to make a decision today as I think I have good offers from motor traders on two of my bikes and I’m happy with the purchase price on either a new FJR1300 or 1200S.

On the 1200S, are there any accessories I should really push for? I always have a top box on my ‘daily’ but don’t think I would want one on the Multi. Perhaps GPS mount, tank pad?

Still have the second test ride on the Z1000SX this morning, and I have a feeling that will bring that back to front of mind again....

11. Heated grips and centre stand for maintenance and cleaning

12. Cheers Simon. Agree with those and, it’s the touring model I have an agreed price on...

13. Also touratech / Ducati handle bar bag used on Enduro is a good accessory for wallet phone and keys

14. Radiator guard

• Like Like x 1
  15. I use my 17’ DVT to commute everyday through a city centre. Whilst a smaller, cheaper jap offering might be a “better commuter” I find every ride an “event” on the Ducati. Rain or shine, I enjoy my commute and feel refreshed/excited to ride it. The sound, punchy engine and excellent visibility (high seat) make it my pick for commuting. There’s the odd gap I can’t filter through because she’s a little big, but no many.
    I do clean it every week and a good anti corrosion routine is more important than on a VFR etc. But mine still looks like new after 12 months and 6k.
    Don’t be put off commuting on one.

16. Thanks for that Lord Farquaad.

Each time I watch a YouTube video on the Multi, FJR and Z1000, my 'favourite' shifts...

I think I have a bit of an anxiety knot about the 1200S now. It's like, I was dismissing it as an option, and then speaking to the dealer yesterday, there is an additional contribution that will make the OTR for the Tourer £14,500 which is badged as £4k off a new 1260S Tourer. On that basis, it feels like a great deal that I should go for!!? - it's the one bike all rounder I originally wanted and at a really good price? Then as I reflect, wasn't the 1200S £15,995 RRP with an additional £1k for the Touring Pack, so £17k? Also I have a screen shot from a Ducati advert where there was a £1k dealer contribution last June, so more like £16k....

Anyway I'm normally much more decisive when choosing bikes and cars so I'll stop boring everyone now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. +1 as a good buy. I bought the Evotec oil, radiator and front cylinder guards and they’re a great addition. They enhance the look of the bike (in detail terms).

One point of note is that the 1200 DVT heated grips aren’t amazing. They’re good down to +3 but much colder and they struggle.

Warm gloves have been an essential this winter.

18. He used to be indecisive. Not he’s not so sure. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Agree, fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. One thing I am sure of is I don't know which to buy.....!! ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information