1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Brake Not Working

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gingernuts, May 19, 2020.

1. Can anyone throw any light on this please? Above problem with my 97 Scrambler Full throttle, done around 6k.
    After a 6 month lay-up after moving house I went out on the bike for the first time today only to find I have no rear brake at all. Brought her back home for a look see and there reservoir is full and no signs of leaks in the system. Pushed the pads back a bit, pumped the pedal and the pads returned but the pedal goes to the floor. Tried turning ABS on and off. just in case but no difference. Slackened the bleed nipple and pumped 2or 3 inches of fluid out which was nice and clean and no bubbles.

Any help appreciated.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a decent bike garage? I'm in Barnard Castle, County Durham.

2. If you mean 2 or 3 inches in a tube attached to the bleed nipple then that's not enough to have purged the complete system.
    I had a similar issue with the front brake of my Scrambler but took a different approach. I used a syringe to empty the reservoir then used it to push fresh fluid through the bleed nipple until the reservoir was full. I ended up with a brake that was firmer than it had ever been.

3. Thanks for the info. I only bled a couple of inches ( in the tube) to check that it was being pumped and clear. I guess you would have used a big syringe to avoid refilling it and introducing air.
    Seems odd that it would just stop working.

4. Sorted. Bled the old skool way. Dead easy on the rear brake to do solo. Lots of air in system but now I have a solid rear brake.
    Thanks for earlier replies.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I have the same issue. Brake was fine, but after a few months in the garage with no use, I have no rear brake. Tried to bleed today with no joy.
    Unbolted calliper and lifted as high as possible but still no joy.
    It must be air as when I pump it I get a bit of resistance but not much.
    Nearly ran out of fluid now and not sure what to try next.
    Advice please

6. Buy more fluid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. If the rear caliper is lower than the master cylinder take it off and tie wrap it higher (to the subframe for example) and bleed there....i did an rsvr that way last week and its now solid. My hypermotard has to be done that way also...

8. Had the same problem with my Monster R. Back brake never worked even the dealer had problems keeping pressure in the lines. Earlier this year there was a recall on some Brembo brakes... might be worth contacting your dealer to see if your bike is one!!!

9. Thanks Baron. Gonna try again tomorrow having cable tied the lever down overnight. Got MOT booked Monday so really wanted to get it sorted this weekend

10. I’ve already cable tied it to the subframe.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information