1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Rear Brakes

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Widow79, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Hey guys.

Was reading this thread because I have the same. Rubbish rear breaks but I'm not very happy with the front either. maybe its just me not used to the ABS breaking.

I will bleed both next week and apparently fitting new pads+discs should solve the issue. Anyone chanced them and saw a big improvement (I see John W did it as well).

Thanks!

2. Anyone else fitted bleed nipples to the ABS unit under the seat? Also once decatted, the heat interference to the rear brake reservoir is reduced.

My brakes seem pretty good with just a routine bleed at annual service.

3. If you look elsewhere on the forum, there is already some mention of sh!t rear brakes and how to alleviate the symptoms.

4. Strangely enough, it's all on page 1..!

5. Ducati's rear brakes are like sex within a 20 year marriage, rarely happens

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I wouldn't bother replacing discs or pads until I'd bleed the brakes. You could be wasting a load of cash for the price of a bottle of brake fluid.

7. Just changing rear brake fluid on my 1260. Looks like it is cooked! approx 7800 miles since April.
    My 2015 DVT did exactly same.
    Have swapped pads to EBC day 1 and keep an eye on fluid helps keep back brake as good as it can be.
    Am trying Castrol React Performance DOT4 as it says for extreme conditions!

15376168318947638968435087316253.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. New Fluid

15376184267122504618619794791744.jpg

#28 Joolsroper, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  9. Motul RBF 600/660 gives you 20deg C more (wet boiling point)

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've been without a brake pedal since January, so I've got used to not using the rear brake anyway. But MOT is due so I've replaced it and extended the adjuster rod so it takes less pedal movement to apply the brake. I'll test it on route to the MOT test :)

11. Word of warning... if you have shortened the travel too much - then as the pads and fluid expand - the brake locks on - discs glow...

I speak from experience... adjusted mine to reduce travel... wheel rotated freely..

Went for a ride next day - 2 miles from home thinking bike is slow today... 3 miles from home... bike struggling and was clear rear brake locked on... stopped - disc glowing red.....

• Agree Agree x 3

12. It's ok, I tested it earlier and it didn't actually make much difference than when I used to have it, still loads of travel and almost no braking :-D At least they can't fail the MOT for having no brake

13. 6479773D-1A34-4996-B23E-92378217881E.png 6479773D-1A34-4996-B23E-92378217881E.png
    Good advice. I changed my standard pads for a pair of brembo’s. Made a big difference, well worth the money

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I use those in the front calipers, not sure how long they'll last, but they certainly have some bite.

15. gc6269 they don't last as long, but that is the price you pay for having better stoppers.

Jackstraw my advice was to swap the OE rear disc for a brembo serie oro. The standard ones are I believe made by brembo but they clearly arent the same material

Regarding the fluid, I bled my brakes through with Motul RBF660. Its been in there for 4+ years and whilst its changed colour it works great.

16. The ‘toe in’ for the brake pedal and the upside down calliper doesn’t help. Try fitting an Altrider pedal enlarger and bleeding the brake with the calliper held high / bleeding at the ABS pump (see other posts on the latter). My back brake on my 1260 PP was terrible when I got it but is fine now.

17. PS does anyone have a link to the sintered Brembo rear pads for a 2019 PP? Be interesting to try them

18. Yes, changing the fluid helps a lot on rear brake performance. I now change it every year.

19. An interesting thread, with numerous different opinions on the rear brake thing and how to imaginatively 'solve' it.

For me the previous 1200 rear brake issue is definitely a thing of the past with my 1260 MTS, as the rear brake works fine, whenever to date, I've had the need to use it.
    I am very well aware of the earlier problems with the 'absent' rear brake, as I've had a 2010 MTS model as well as the last of the skyhook twin spark Pikes Peak versions, both of which required pretty constant bleeding, which although really irritating, I did find actually worked, albeit for a limited period of time.

No need therefore, as I see it, to change pads, fluid, discs or whatever, as so far, so good...….:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information