1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Rear Hub Maintenance

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by lee montague, Jul 2, 2022.

1. 2014 multistrada 1200 is there any Maintenence needed for the rear hub assembly at all
    I’ve never owned a single swing arm before and a friend keeps telling me about horror stories that I can’t see online about them seizing

I’m handy with a spanner if there is anything that could help

2. You don't necessarily need special tools, save for a bearing drift, a freezer (you don't mind putting the bearings in) an oven (to heat the hub) and some circlip pliers. You might also want to get hold of a copy of the workshop manual as well. Buy the correct grade of grease for the job, you will need lots of it. Finally, make sure you set the correct torque for the eccentric hub pinch bolts, as this is where a lot of people's problems start.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. And block the hole in the swingarm to stop crap getting in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I wouldn't block it, cos it drains the water shite that collects in the well in the swingarm, but deffo make sure the bottom is open and able to let what goes in - run out ;)

5. I'm referring to the one close to the engine. No water can drain out of that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well what a coincidence. I came on here to ask if anyone had a link to a decent rear wheel socket that isn’t crazy money and here this thread is. Hope you don’t mind me jumping in and asking. Any links to a decent socket. There is a plethora of them out there but don’t wanna buy shit which will strip and round/ruin some ducabike jewellery but don’t wanna break the bank either. regards.

7. So does the hub need maintenance or not lol

8. Yes, absolutely. If you were to take your bike to a dealer for a service, the rear hub is a service item after a certain mileage/time. You will need to remove the rear wheel, undo the rear caliper, remove the disc and caliper hanger, undo the left side nut and withdraw the axle. Release the 2 hub clamp bolts and remove the eccentric hub which might need persuasion. Don’t be surprised if you see a lot of grit and muck. You should also pay close attention the the right hand side (wheel side) bearing. If it has been correctly greased, the grease is likely to have a far bit of muck mixed in so will need cleaning and re greasing. Also check the inner race for lateral movement, bearing failure is not uncommon. Plenty of advice on here on how to replace the bearings that Ducati say is a sealed unit. Andy

#8 Android853sp, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  9. All things need maintenance pal. It’s up to you how well you look after things. A clean and re-grease never go amiss. However I’m on 21000miles and never looked at it. However I do road miles (supposedly smooth tarmac). If your on bumpy roads I’d say it’ll need more looking after. I’d say the hub it’s will be pretty robust. As long as you bring the front hole up to stop dirt and water penetrating and sitting there I thing your golden for a long time. On tyre change a clean and inspection your good.

10. Or, what Andy said ^^^^^^

11. Is this where the subframe bit that needs blanking off is
    The hole looks a bit rectangular
    What have people used to do this thanks

12. Yes, but adjacent the block. If you look backwards towards the wheel, you'll see there's a hole there in the swingarm.
    I bought a 3d printed one from Holland and siliconed it in place.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Do we mean behind the header, in the photo....?

14. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the hole in the swingarm is highlighted in red in the diagram below.

1200 swingarm.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Put your had up the back of the swingarm, next to the block and it's there. That's how the crap gets in the swingarm.

16. Spot on.

17. The 1260 doesn't have this hole, yet my hub eccentric is very stiff at 4 years and 18,000 miles, it must be getting in somewhere else... Have just bought the Sykes-Pickavant HD circlip tool and a tube of the Ducati recommended SKF LGWA2 grease with the intention of, once the bike is back from it's Desmo service, stripping out the hub, cleaning inside the swingarm and re-greasing the right-hand bearing in the hub.

#18 Bumpkin, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  18. OK cool, thanks.
    Where's the one to leave open so the crud drains out? Only had the bike for 9 days so on a learning curve....

19. Thanks all yes the piece in the picture is what I was aiming for

Do Not Sell My Personal Information