1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Indicator Problem - Help!

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Suffolk Duke, Jun 10, 2021.

1. When checking for Ohms you should really have the bike switched off as you can get a false reading.

2. Thanks Rotaxracer
    Yes the front LED ones work fine.
    I did check the resistance in ohms with ignition off and on just to see what the difference is. The rear indicators, rear light and number plate light all share the same earth so it doesn't seem to be this. However, as you say the rear indicators do go into the BBS so its possible its this at fault. Especially as the problem can be with the right, left or both not working. Could a BBS have a fault like this? I would have thought these things either work or they don't but that's the problem, I don't know.
    I will double check the +ve continuity from BBS to each indicator. However, as you say, this could be switched in the BBS giving a positive +ve pulse when the indicator is used and it could be this that is the issue.
    The problem is I don't want to shell out £260 just to find out!

3. Any updates on this?

4. Hi, yes I should have posted an update.
    I went back to basics and checked the rear wiring loom and found a fault in an original Ducati connector block - very surprised but also relieved! With this changed they now work fine - crazy really.
    Its amazing how a basic electrical fault can cause the symptoms that I had, with the fault swapping between indicators and also both of them, making it look like a 'brain' fault.
    Since this has been changed I have now changed the indicators for better LED versions and all is working well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Did you use resistors for the new led indicators?
    I've installed a set of new led ones from my original bulbs, and they have a resistor build inside them. When the bike is on, they work nicely, but as soon as I start the engine, they stop. I'm wandering if it's the resistor.

6. Yes I did use resistors. Ironically, I bought some different resistors than the ones that came with the first indicators that I tried, just in case that was the issue but these were ideal for the new ones that I used. The awkward part was fitting the physical size of the resistors in the space without trapping wires but worked ok.
    As for yours, if the original indicators worked ok before then its a good chance that it is the resistors. I would try a different resistance as you might be right on the tipping point. When you start the bike the voltage will increase slightly once charging so that could be the issue.

7. Thank you. I've ordered a set of Oxford Nightrider. Fingers crossed.

8. Just checked back to see what I had bought.
    I bought a pair of Nightrider indicators and and also a separate pair of Oxford 9 watt resistors. The indicators didn’t work so I sent them back. Once I had realised there was a fault and eventually fixed it, I bought another pair of Nightriders and fitted them using the 9 watt resistors (the resistors that came with the indicators were the wrong sizes).
    I really like the indicators so good luck with yours.

9. Thanks for letting me know.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information