1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Seat Pad Plastic Base For 888 Sp4/sp5/single Seat Conversion

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Bridgland, Sep 8, 2019.

1. After taking a few photos and measurements of the rear seat pad for the 888, I have spent time getting a CAD drawing done so I can get some printed (3D printed). The dimensions are pretty damn close and I expect to get it padded and then covered in vinyl, to make it look authentic.

First prints done and 2 versions.

As Stig (851 and 888 forum) pointed out to me, the section at the back of the seat unit isn't flat, in fact it curves gently. The first version is flat, and depending on the material, a bit of heat may well bend it nicely (not tried it yet). The second version has a raised edge that can be shaped by anyone wanting to get it right for their rear seat unit (as I am sure they all have little discrepancies in shape).

What I would ideally like is someone here in the UK South of London area, who has an original single rear seat bike and who would be prepared to allow me to test fit these, so I can see if they work.

Any takers?
    pbjKknaySJu92Aqi7sc4Ww.jpg 888 Seat Cushoin Rear v7.jpg 888 Seat Cushoin Rear v7.1.jpg e6EcEhAsQhS%+sdaQkNL7g.jpg oezD0MHaQKWBD9a3XLUY%Q.jpg 9r94NuQyT4O0lla5JfLGzg.jpg 31yRgHa3TU6w27kfzwNv+A.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have an SP4 and an '89 851 you can try them out on...

3. Belated Happy Birthday by the way. What town are you in, as I would ideally like to come and look at the fitment and measure up any adjustments that need to be made.

Chris

4. So after a few hours measuring and designing in CAD, I have also done a frame that can be used as a template for the hole (for aftermarket seats units), as well as to be used as an insert that can be stuck in with epoxy once the hole is cut out. Just doing a small tweak to my seat pad base plate and should be ready for me to try out some Dzus fastener options.

You will see there is a 2mm lip around the edge to allow the frame to sit in the hole, but this would be hidden by the seat pad once in place. LCexP0P%RkKhgxjKnp%isw.jpg WlMDMH5LQOOffjFKK0ZzCQ.jpg 1bOfimgKRlibYpL%6j+qXA.jpg x51dTkwhScWo3M%EUkpYYg.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hi There
    I have an SP4, and being long legged would prfer to sit a little further back.
    So if I could make a slimmer rear pad this would help.

Do you have any spare bases for sale?

Many thanks in advance
    Cheers Chris

6. Chris - I print them to order and sent a couple down your neck of the woods only a couple of weeks ago (assuming you are from the ANZ region). One of the guys in Switzerland who took one wanted to do the same as he is quite a tall bloke. He sent me this photo of it covered and in place.

16BF00B9-8FAE-4400-9764-A81F74350741.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thanks for your reply & photo.

That looks absolutely spot on.

I've got a mate with an SP5 whom is equally tall. I will ask him if he is interested as well and possibly get a couple sent down (yes you're right, NZ)

Oh, what is an approximate cost?

Kind Regards Chris

8. They are £35 each plus shipping. it will take about 3 days to print them. You can settle up with me by PayPal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sounds fair

I hope to catch up with my mate in a day or so.
    I will confirm how many then
    Cheers Chris

10. Sorry for the delay
    Looks like it will be just one for me.

Let me know how we proceed from here

Regards Chris

11. Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me and I think I have one ready for you, as I was holding one back for myself (getting the single rear seat prepped). Let me check, just in case I already sent that one. I reckon it will be around £15 to £18 in shipping and you can use my Paypal account to transfer. PM me if you want to go ahead for sure and I can send you the details and you can give me your address.

Chris

12. I shall be looking for a bum stop (standard thickness) and seat pad too.
    I would be interested in the plate but if you do some covered as well, even better.

13. Phil,

All I provide is the base plate for the bum pad for the 851 and 888 models. the covering and padding is down to you.

Chris

14. OK - please put my name down for one

15. Phil - 888, or original 851?

Chris

16. I will set up a print over the weekend.

Chris

17. Great - pls PM your paypal or account and I will sort out some tokens for it. :)

18. Dumb question from a Newbie. How do you send a PM?

19. Click on the member and select start a conversation

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information