1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Rear Shock Bolt Out (finally) Replacement Bolts For Top Box Frame

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Beef, Mar 9, 2019.

1. I finally got the rear shock bolt out by cutting through either side of the shock eye - thanks Derek for your advice. It wasn't a quick job, took me 3 nights to finally get through it. Once the Shock was out the way, I shit you not, I belted the head with a drift 6 times to get it all the way out, even the last hit when it was only in about 1mm, was still quite a hit!

I took the shock to Mark at MH Suspension Nr Chippenham, he fitted the stronger spring, new eye bearing & two new steel bushes in under an hour!! He's currently doing the forks to match, I'll be picking them up in a fortnight (my schedule, not his).

Whilst the rear seat unit is in bits I am going to get the top box supports re powder coated and get some new mounting bolts. Just been through the parts catalogue and the top box mount isn't listed, does anyone have any ideas?

• Like Like x 2
  2. For pre-DVT models, look at the parts list for the 2013-14 GT model, which unfortunately doesn't appear to be available on the Ducati web site. Fortunately I'd save a copy a few years back:

upload_2019-3-9_20-16-33.png
    upload_2019-3-9_20-18-11.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. How old & what mileage. Mines 2017 dvt & making me wonder whether to take the bolt out & copper slip it for futureproofing.

4. Thanks Steve, exactly what I was after.
    Mines a 2012 Stevie.

5. Good to hear you got it out. :upyeah: It took me about 3 hours o_O

6. i do "bolt service" every year

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. This particular bolt issue comes up often enough that it does sound wise to make it a yearly inspection and lube

8. By ‘copper slip’ I presume you mean coat it in copper grease before reinstalling? Just asking as my 99 748 is in bits at the mo undergoing a full N&B resto and having, eventually, got the subframe off this week I’m now about to remove the shock, tie-rod and swing arm:confused:.

9. I wish Ducati would fix the poor water drainage at the shock mounting point. Bloody pool of water every time you wash it. They claim they increased the size of the drain hole on the DVT but it blocked the first time o washed it from new so I bought a air blower and dry it the ACF50 it but I bet it’s still bloody stuck! Really poor design. Does it still happpen on the 1260’s?

10. When I had the shock out of mine I ran a 6mm drill through the hole, doubling the size of it. I made sure to paint it with an etching primer then satin black afterwards to prevent corrosion getting in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I cannot even see the drain hole on my swingarm! Is it directly below shock eye?
    Paul, yes, coppa slip/copper grease everything you can!

Have been advised by a few people that when I put the bottom shock bol back in, copperlsip the head then fill the recess with silicone - so that's what I'm going to do. :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Yes, it's probably covered with dirt. Poke about with a bit of wire and you should find it
    Yes, that's what I did.

#12 Derek, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. I asked for mine to be looked at last year by the dealer when service was done. Sick of pool of water. When picking bike up they said there is nothing they can do about it. I remember Wayne58 posting something on here last year about clearing the drain hole from underneath. I have looked & cannot find where it is.

14. It can't be seen from above with the shock in place but a bent piece wire can reach it. It can be seen from underneath with a mirror or if you get your head really close to the ground and look along the underside of the swinging arm. I haven't got the Multi anymore so can't give you anymore precise directions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I need to have another look at mine as like said above sick of water puddling. Always gets full of grit from freshly tarmac'ed roads too.

16. Bloody hell - there’s 2 drain holes! I have taken them
    Both out to 6mm and going to hammerite around both as the area’s getting grotty (swing arm out & re powder coat next winter.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. So is the swing arm hollow. Ie water goes in through shock base then swishes around the arm. Or is that part solid.

18. The drain hole goes straight through to somewhere above the chain. It doesn't go into the swinging arm.

19. Mine was a 2010, it had one drain hole.

20. Just an out there idea, fish tank filters. :D

If the hose matched the hole, you could upturn the filter to place the hose part running through the hole whilst the foam filter would stop the crud going into the swing arm. You would probably need a join piece to extend the hose and run it straight through

so these but turn them upside down? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boyu-SF-...hash=item5d76afe44e:m:minL0FW9tkG5IFyzv0wPPWg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information