1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Rear Shock Spring

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by 999nutta, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Hi all
    Just after some clarification please.
    Has anyone else noticed anything like the pictures on their shock spring?
    6 weeks old and 1400 miles.
    Thanks

20201016_104747.jpg

2. 20201016_110615.jpg

3. I think @TonyMNo1 had the same problem and they replaced the whole shock under warranty?

4. :( Absolutely as T4M has said above, I've experienced the very same and in fact my 1260S is in Riders, Bristol as I type, being dealt with under warranty.
    I suggest getting in touch with your dealer ASAP and be sure to not get fobbed off with the Ducati approach around 'aesthetics' not being covered!

Your Dealership will no doubt (hopefully :eyes:) be very supportive, however, my bike developed this issue after circa 26 months, yet yours is hardly 2 months old. WOW a real quality control issue here, which seems to me to be something Ducati need to look more closely into, as it doesn't appear to be limited to this component, from what some other forum members have posted about.

Good luck in your rectification quest.:upyeah::thinkingface:

5. Not just a 1260 issue, had my full shock replaced,1200 DVT,as all the yellow paint came away exactly in the same spot, I think it has something to do with the debris that sits in the gully and ends up getting in between the spring. I now blow it out after most rides to clear away anything that could be lying there and cause damage again

6. Did you take any photos?
    How old and mileage is yours?

7. Cheers. My bike is cleaned and dried after every ride. Its my OCD so never noticed any debris in there.it was wiping it over with a cloth when i noticed it.

8. My bike has circa 11k miles and is just over 30 months old, with the issue highlighted by me around August 2020.
    The paint delamination issue on mine isn't quite as bad as yours though. I've attached a couple of photos FYI and IMO, the problem is all about blockage of the swing arm drain hole and the habit the bike has of collecting debris there, which when drainage is interfered with, causes the water + debris to act as a grinder. Add to this absolutely crap quality control with paint product selection & usage + application and you end up with a perfect storm. End result: as-is!!
    And my bike isn't cleaned & dried after every ride, although it does receive its fair share of OCD treatment, including ACF50 annually.
    Rear spring coating deterioration 1 (1).JPG Rear spring coating deterioration 1 (2).JPG Rear spring coating deterioration 1 (3).JPG

9. After a trip to Spain in the summer, I’d noticed that some of the paint had chipped off mine. I just bought some model paint and touched it up. Trying to get any stones out from that gulley is virtually impossible!

10. Mine has been replaced under warranty.
    Are you noticing any wear on the clutch cover of yours. Mine seems to mark very easily.

11. 20190525_093210.jpg this is my rear shock on my old PP I had 2 new ones under warranty.
    Now on my 2020 PP same thing happening first new one being replaced this week aswell as new clutch cover.

12. How bad is your clutch cover?

13. Paint rubbing off showing black Mark's ducati tried to blame my trousers rubbing but never happened to my last PP with same trousers.

14. I’ve not noticed, but will take a look.

16. Cheers. Mine marks easily from clothing and has even picked up a small scratch ding. Either from a stone or from it's time in the dealer. No proof how it happened. Has annoyed me a lot. Put tape over the wear marks bit it hasn't stopped the other. Just bought a cover.

On a separate note how's the full system

17. Err, do Ducati not realise that engine paint should be stronger than pant material. I never realised that a good technique for metal preparation was whipping off your Kacks and giving the engine a good rub with them! You make and sell a premium bike for a premium price, yet make the paint so shite that it rubs off with your pants! Perhaps you should wear silk...

18. I bought a cover but it's impossible to fit!

Not tried the bike since getting the system fitted, as the roads are crap at the moment! I'm waiting for a dry day.

19. I'm also having full system fitted this week I'll be out on mine I ride all year with the rite gear it's just as much fun.

20. What cover have you gone for?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information