1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Shock

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Andy800, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Howdy all
    If i fit a slightly longer rear shock spring will it raise the back end?
    Also will it hugely mess with the bike geometry and make it handle like poo
    Cheers

#1 Andy800, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. Changing the spring will make no difference to the ride height but a longer shock will.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks Derek. Will it be possible to have my existing shock rebuilt/lengthened or is it a full replacement job?

4. Usually you need a new shock.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks Derek :upyeah:

6. Unless it's an Ohlins TTX

7. is this on your aprilia 450 ...

i used to be a investigator..........

#7 andyb, Feb 4, 2019
  8. Yeah. It currently has a Maxton. I think it may be an RRV custom part

83FDF6CE-122E-460D-BC52-9F2282774C3B.jpeg

9. It's the other end I need to see.

10. Lower end?

00BCA870-FC60-453D-B016-ECAA0ECC1768.jpeg

BEFD772B-31E3-4397-A0EF-FF002D0BE45A.jpeg

11. so support the back of the bike, take out that bottom bolt and that bottom black locking nut will i suspect undo and then you can unscrew the bottom of the shock and lengthen the eye to eye length of the shock raising the rear

12. You can alter the shock length on that shock. It has a threaded rose joint by looks. Make a note of how much it is to start with before you make any adjustments to it. How much you can go is how much thread you have on the joint, it's just a case of undoing the lock nut and removing the lower mount. Given you have a dogbone rising rate set up there I would advise 5mm increments to start off with as it also will change the geometry of the rear wheel.

13. Thanks @PeterT and @andyb I''ll have a go tomorrow. Is it worth winding the screw/rod end all the way out then screw back in so I know how much I can go, or will say 5mm of thread make a huge rise at the aft.
    Doesn't look like there's a huge amount of exposed thread so if its a decent length I may have plenty to go at.
    Also, do I need to remove the bottom mounting bolt effectively disconnecting the shock to turn the threaded rose joint or loosen the locking ring and turn the shock bottom while the shock is still connected which I'm assuming will be under load,

14. measure a common point that you can keep referring to as a datum eg from a marker on the seat panel vertical down to the centre of the rear axle.
    support the bike with something under the footpads with the rear raised off the ground
    slacken off the black lock ring
    take out that bottom bolt
    drop the swing arm down so you release the bottom eye and undo as far as you can go with enough thread left in the shock body
    rebuild it up and measure again
    you now have the maximum you can go
    see where that sits with what you are trying to achieve and or reduce as appropriate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Yes your going to need to remove the bottom mounting as the shock can't rotate, so yes wind it out completely then you can see how far you can go.

16. All Maxton's manuals are available on-line. It should tell you the maximum adjustments - here's an example that looks like yours...
    https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/downloads/manuals/nr4/nr4-manual.pdf

17. Phenomenal. Thanks guys :upyeah:

18. this is that measure idea...
    just looking at the manual it might be easier taking the shock off the bike measuring eye to eye length and altering it off the bike

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 21.41.06.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. I'll have a quick look tomorrow hopefully. IIRC the shock isn't too difficult to get out as access is pretty good. I'll get stuck in to it over the next few weeks

20. Did you say why you want to raise the rear?

TB

P.S. compliments on how clean that shock is.

#20 Topbox, Feb 4, 2019
Do Not Sell My Personal Information