1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Rear Wheel Bearing/hub Play

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Phill748, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Hi, I had an MOT on Saturday and they gave an advisory because of play in the rear wheel.

I felt it and tbh it feels noticeable to me and having just changed the rear shock etc I would have noticed this prior to riding, so I think the issue has come on quite quickly. Any thoughts on most likely culprit?

They think I haven't done the rear wheel up enough and think it should be 230nm (or whatever the 1098 setting is) but I believe it to be 176nm and have seen various threads where there is dispute on this (it's marked on the rim though). Either way.. I don't think that difference would cause the hub play.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether pinch bolts having loosened could cause the issue? or the sprocket side nut being loose? The bikes done 8k miles.

2. 848 is 176Nm, not the higher 1098 figure. It's a smaller nut/axle. It's worth checking the sprocket side nut, see them loosen off quite regularly. Pinch bolts would show up as hub rotation when you wind the power on... you'd notice that one ;P

3. What sort of mileage do you have on the bike ? Had the eccentric hub bearings go on an eccentric I bought off eBay with about 35000 miles on it for the 748 and I’ve just replaced the Multistrada eccentric bearings at 30000 miles. Just a thought. Andy

4. Yeah thanks Nelly, exactly that, if it was the pinch bolts I would have felt it and definitely would have seen, so I don't think it's that.

I'll check the sprocket side, it's got the clip on the back of the nut but I guess only needs to have loosened off by half a turn to allow the axle to move. Does the sprocket side nut pull the axle tight into the Hub then? and then the wheel tightens onto that?

In terms of replacement, what are the general thoughts about getting one off ebay versus new? It looks like a £400 odd pound part online.. which is pretty savage. After 8k miles I can't believe it would have gone if I'm honest.

Glad you also confirmed 176nm, but as I said, there is NO WAY the play is coming just from a wheel that is under torqued.

5. Eccentric bearings for the small bore axle are (or were when I replaced them) less than £75. Definitely a DIY job if you have circlip pliers. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Russ at Ducati mondo in Halifax can sort you with the bearings. He’s refurbed a few of them.

7. I found the issue... We got it on the abba stand (which I don't use often, preferring the rear axle stand) and we could feel it rocking and moving the sprocket side, so we took the lock pin out (which was very neatly lock wired up by previous owner) and the nut literally span off by hand....

That's pretty worrying! for 2 reasons, one because the lock clip pins into the axle, so I'm not sure how it could have spun loose? Surely the previous owner didn't 'forget' to torque it prior to putting the clip in, which I guess is possible....

The other option although I hope unlikely is that the bearings have worn, effectively taking the torque out of the nut. I've ordered a 41mm socket so at the weekend I'll take it all apart and re-grease the axle and build it back up and see what's what after that.

8. Same thing on my 1098 when I was giving an advisory on play on rear wheel during mot. Found the left hand side loss only stopped by retainer ring and don’t no why. Anyway re torqued and been fine for over 20k miles.

9. That's kinda good to hear tbh, it's so weird that it's done it but I'll just learn from it, get it torqued up and go from there. The bike does have a habbit of undoing various stuff, much much worse than my other 848 I had, and the 899, but I never thought it would try and undo these! clearly Ducati did and that's why they put the locking tabs on...

10. Last update on this for a while, I've re-torqued the rear axle and still have a very marginal amount of play in the wheel at certain points (i.e rocking with hands at 10pm and 4pm but not at 6pm and 12pm, so I think there is some issue with the bearings. The only other it could be I suppose is that where it was loose there has been some grit and dirt get in and that's stopping the faces from sitting properly. I fear this is wishful thinking on my part.

I've read some stuff on here from people like Nelly, rightly saying there should be no play in the wheel as standard and so I'll strip it all back at the weekend and clean and re-assemble and see what it feels like then. I suspect I'll be looking to get the hub rebuilt though....

11. The L/H nut on my bike tries to undo it self all the time and of course the locking ring prevents it spinning off. Does anyone know why it is trying to undo? Should it have been made with a L/H thread I wonder.

12. Exactly my thoughts, it also goes loose very quick from torqued, like the thread is to course on it. There aren’t any compression washers in the axle from what I can see so it all just clamps together. A left hand thread might have been a good idea but it’s and easy change so surprised Ducati haven’t done it if it’s a common issue

13. The nut slackens off because the bearings are failing. If the nut can’t hold its torque, somethings giving in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. It doesn't need a left hand nut. The spines provide the drive.

15. Worth checking the Cush Drive rubbers. I had an issue where everything was tight (inc hub nuts both sides) but the rear sprocket was moving sideways about 5 mm. Found all 6 x Cush drives were moving around due to wear. Replaced with new and had to fit new chain and sprockets too as the rear ally sprocket was munched. No probs in last 10k miles. Gen Ducati Cush Drive kit was about £125 so not exactly a cheap fix with the cost of C&S as well. Good luck mate.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information