1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear wheel removal

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by johnv, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I've had both sides off without any hesitation. Went to my brothers last week as he could not budge sprocket side of his Diavel, took the dewalt literally 3 secs to spin it off :grinning:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Thanks - just what I wanted to hear to confirm that it's worth the money.

I've got a load of old 18V DeWalt cordless tools but the batteries (NiCad) are starting to die. I also need to replace the batteries in an old strimmer and hedge cutter, I've noticed that DeWalt now do cordless garden tools which use the same 18V Li-Ion batteries. Looks like I need to spend a few hours researching the options.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I have had both sides off using a Clarke CEW1000.

4. Old 5 foot bar and wooden wheel blocker versus new CEW1000, works a treat lol

IMG_2776.JPG

5. Yes but that makita much higher torque rating and will probably outlive the Clarke?

6. Yes, but it is 3 times the price and how long will the batteries last, especially if it is not used regularly?

7. Not sure, I use my battery regularly as I have 4 dewalt items (Bought another yesterday) that take the same battery, and the Li-ion batteries seem to be getting better and better. Besides.......

It costs more so must be better...FACT !!! :);):upyeah:

8. I don't want to sound like I know better, nor do I know the financial status of whoever needs a tool but whenever I paid little money to get a cheap tool, I totally regretted it. And this usually applies to tools that are for demanding jobs (not the average screwdriver). If people cannot afford a DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Metabo (the list is practically endless, you can always find more expensive tools if you want to), by all means buy what you can afford. I find it totally legit. However, since the batteries in such class of tools are mostly Li-ion, they are going to last, even with sporadic use.

Also the specific tool is corded. Comparing it to cordless ones is a bit unfair (for both sides). If I can get away with enough battery longevity, the portability of the cordless tool is a winner, every time. And the one I've got, gives me that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Although I only meant my post tongue in cheek, I do also maintain that "you get what you pay for" so for me would be Dewalt, Makita etc etc every time, but each to his own I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. A few months back I treated myself to a compressor. I thought it would be handy for pumping up tyres in a household with 2 motorcycles, 3 mountain bikes, 3 cars, for use as a general airline, to power a nail gun and do the odd bit of spraying.

Faced with my most recent puncture I decided to get a Chicago Pneumatic CP7748 air powered impact 1/2" drive wrench. It will do 1250nm in reverse and Amazon had them at £169 reduced from £310, free same-day delivery with Prime. It's an utter beast of a thing and I don't have to worry about batteries, ever.

It's one of those tools which you buy once and keep forever and the compressor has a tonne of uses. Before I'd acquired the wrench I found the compressor particularly useful when cleaning the bike (especially in winter when you're doing it all the time) when you can just blow water out of crevices when drying it to make life a lot easier. It's seriously handy and I use it way more than I thought I would.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I am quite lucky with power tools as I am a dewalt tester and get all the latest range foc befor they become available for sale, the only thing you have to be aware of is when they do a battery compatability change and that could be due in the next few years and then we all follow onto the next best thing , not because we need to because we have to, I still maintain that Bosch make the best sds drills ,drills , rattlers ect are personal choice , if you are running dewalt kit it makes sense to buy a naked impact gun and put it through your books.When I last had my drills tested they plugged the battery into a lap top and it had run for a total of 34 hours far exciding there expectations and it's still going strong 6 months later.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. PS, Just used it again today to replace my rear tyre, don't even need rear brake on while removing, bike on centre stand, in neutral, on my own, press trigger, nut off !!! :smile:

#53 Wayne58, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Clarke impact driver did nothing, 1 600mm 1/2 breaker bar snapped, 1 tin plus gas, 1 butane torch still nut hasn't budged , 17 stone stood on another 600mm breaker bar nothing . this nut will not come off , guess thats what happens when you use an Italian bike in the winter ,
    regards
    chris ( tired , pissed off , with a flat tyre ).

14. Read above. Dewalt or Makita seem to be the way forward.... Good luck :upyeah:

15. Without wishing to piss you off any further, what is the maximum output torque for your Clarke impact driver ? I only ask because with a Multistrada 1200, Diavel, 1098R, 748R and an 853 track bike in the family, I use a Dewalt 18v, 320Nm impact driver which hasn't as yet let me down. Have had the odd occasion where it's taken 30 seconds to finally release. Andy

16. PS, is the bike in Bristol ? Its a bit far for me to pop over and spin off with the Dewalt, but if anyone has one closer ?? Could be worth a new thread to ask for help if someone has one nearer you ??

17. No problem , its 450nm https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cla...GS-060219300&gclid=CIfAz5ze09QCFeiw7QodRi8ItA

18. yeah its in bristol appreciate the thought but this isn't going to spin off with a battery powered torque wrench i don't think, trust me as great as impact drivers are, a 450nm one hasn't budged it , the force being applied with 17 stone 60cm away is huge . the hardest part with both brakes full on daughter on the bike , chock under a flat tyre and a strop strapping the rear wheel i am moving the bike backwards before turning the nut. The force is huge . as per the post I've tried plus gas , heat , heat with ice in the centre to try and cool the inner before the nut. arggggghhhhhh :) ill get there , at times like these i hate this bike. :)

19. The Dewalt 899 has breakaway torque of 1600 NM and sustained of 900 +, I've not found any nut yet including a mates truck wheel nut that got stuck, that it didn't budge, so still worth an ask me thinks ??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information