1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend Me A Base Layer.

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Nelson, Aug 26, 2017.

1. I don't need another restraining order and you missed what was probably one of the best race weekends for a very long time and the weather was outstanding. Spoke to Silverstone on Friday and there is still a degree of uncertainty about a venue for the British round of the Moto GP next year which is why tickets were not on sale at the weekend. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Gents, the question is about summer underlay..:sun::sun::sun:
    Not surprised...50k spectators..Brno/Assen/LeMans are around +90k on the race day.

3. Christ no! Not for sweaty hot track day heroics as per OP. For winter cycling however, I've found merino amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I wore merino in 36 degrees in Spain all day long brilliant - not on track I'll admit, but personally find it preferable to any man made fibre whatever the temp / What is it they say ' the fitter you are the more you sweat'. Which is probably why I barely even glow

5. Whatever works for you then I guess. Merino is softly woven wool isn't it?? Wool is an excellent insulator to keep you warm. Those highland sheep seem to like it. With me, anything wool or cotton retains all my lovely sweat where as that dri fit stuff (doesn't feel as nice, I know) wicks away the sweat and if you catch a bit of breeze, cools you too.

I've just bought a pro skins all in one. Never used one before but I'm off the Almeria next month so I'll give it a jolly good sweating into and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have found Pro Skins to be poor quality. The Aldi kit is the best I have found anywhere. Not sure they have done it for a while though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Hey, come on now... Aldi kit sounds no where near as cool as Pro Skins : - )

8. No it doesn't but it is the case. The Pro Skins stuff snags and pulls over time. My Aldi kit is as good as new 5 years later.

• Like Like x 1

9. If your interested http://www.woolmark.com/inspiration/activewear/benefits/.

What do the MotoGP riders wear I wonder ? Cals looks interesting - mohair maybe

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Merino is incredibly versatile, lovely to wear and naturally antibacterial.

11. I've had a set of Pro Skins for about four years. The leggings I wear every time I ride a bike and they're still in tip-top condition. No stretching, loose threads or unravelling.
    I don't know that they keep me that cool but they do stop me sticking to my leathers, they stay fresh for long periods and they seem to wick perspiration quite well. The shirt I don't like. It has a weird artificial coolness about it, the next-to-the-skin equivalent of the hit in the back of the throat from smoking a menthol cigarette. I find it irritating on the skin so I wear some man-made fibre anti-bacterial Berghaus shirt from a camping shop. It works as a base layer and looks presentable as a shirt walking about without the jacket.

[​IMG]
    http://www.berghaus.com/mens/mens-base-layers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I got some Nike dri fit stuff from sports direct. One is a thin compression top and the other is fractionally thicker and has a fleece feel on the inside. When it's hot I wear the thin one when its cool I wear the thicker one and when it's cold I wear them both

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information