1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend Me A Used Motocross Bike Please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zhed46, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Now I am living out in the sticks I want to buy a couple of crossers for me and the son who also rides.

My first 2 bikes were MXers but since then I have lost touch with what's what, so I am dependent on the collective wisdom of the DFUK massive to (counter)steer me in the right direction. I'd prefer 2 strokes, or perhaps one of each type.

I don't want to spend a huge amount because I need to buy 2 and we will probably crash them repeatedly.

Thanks. :upyeah:

2. crf250

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Fetching strong money at the moment! My lads have got crf 250/kxf250 ! Good bikes! Less maintenance than a 2 smoker but if it were me it would be a Ktm 300 2 stroke! Anything under 2 grand will probably be a Dog!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thanks and likewise @cookster

Budget - I was hoping to spend no more than about £2.5k each

• Like Like x 1
  5. though i do like the wr250 too :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. wr 250 and ktm 300 are enduro bikes is it enduro you want to do or MX or simple question mess around in forestry or mx tracks

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes the ktm exc 300 is enduro! Fantastic bikes though and you can ride it to the track! (Although a cr 500 is more fun!!) You’re budget will get you a couple of crfs for sure but you may have to look at a few before you buy! There is so much shite out there it’s unreal! Good luck though!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. £5K for two bikes, like everything, you get what you pay for so unless your very lucky your going to get something thats ‘been around the block’. Good thing about mx or enduro bikes is plastics cost pennies and spares wont break the bank. 2T are far more fun to ride off road but if your planning on going toad legal 4T’s are a little easier for road miles. Again with using a 2T green laning unless you get a TPI KTM/Husky you’ll be having to carry some 2T oil around with you to mix up on any fuel stops.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. raced a heap of ktm 300exc,s 2t and 350exc,s 4t great bikes just keep very fresh oil in the fourstroke ktms the 2 stroke 300,s are a piece of piss to work on my advice is an enduro bike will work fine on an mx track but an MX bike will make life hard in forestery all possible just harder than an enduro bike !

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 2 stroke, pin it until she blows, at least you been riding it hard enough. 4 banger blows, burn it.
    Yamaha and KTM still build 2 strokes. Doubt you will need more than a 250 2 stroke.
    4 bangers need some care. Ex race bikes have been looked after, lads spend a fortune on them, otherwise they just shit themselves and you're on your way home with a bag of shit tied to a trailer. Lots of race bikes have hour meters which will give you an idea on engine rebuild times. Yam or KTM 2 stroke.

I race a Crf450 4 banger and cr250 smoker. Always buying something for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. KTM 2T fan here, far more exciting and far lighter than a 4T.
    +1 with evoarrow's comments, only criticism I'd have with the KTM 2T though is the electric start is rubbish on them but not on the 4T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. [QUOTE="broke, post: 1767450, member: only criticism I'd have with the KTM 2T though is the electric start is rubbish on them but not on the 4T.[/QUOTE]
    Early KTM electric starts were crap but the newer models are absolutely fine, keep an eye the battery earth strap, it corrodes or the bolt to the frame can become loose which can lead to problem starts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. i got myself a tidy 2008 crf250x which sailed its MOTi and came with a three bike trailer for 2k. and a DR250 for £800 that needed a we bit of tidying for its MOT in the last couple of years. there out there with deals to be had.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Am I right in saying the later bikes are fuel injected too??

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. CRF's? probably all are now. i got to track for the first time in decades just before lockdown and a fella gave me a walkround his bike which was fuel injected. but with no electric start or battery.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Honda’s are reliable and generally good bikes to ride.

ktm and huskies I’ve found to be the best to ride, but hit and miss reliability (even with the new ones). The 18 and 19’s some were blowing due to airbox issues for example.

yamaha I’ve not ridden but I’ve heard good things about the new ones.

I wouldn’t go more than a modern 300 or 350 max tbh. 250 is often all the bike you’ll ever need and most of them make more power than a 10 year old 450 that weighs as much as a small moon.

buy on condition and hours, I wouldn’t go any older than 3 years old tbh personally as the recent stuff is a real step up.

If you’re relatively green I’d say stick to 4 stroke.

there’s loads of great bikes for sale second hand. I’d avoid buying new as they seemingly halve in value over night lol. Get one with an electric start !

If you’re on Instagram have a look at absolute motocross for instance :)

https://absolutemotocross.co.uk/

https://www.holeshotmotocross.co.uk/

#16 Advikaz, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Some great advice above.

In terms of your thought process are you considering purely mx? As theskitz mentions - worth thinking about enduro bikes - Some great fun to be had on the green lanes with your lad, getting to know the area, ride out with others.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 250 smokers and 450 bangers race together. Both are quick bikes. The weight is noticeable but I like the weight of a 450 on an MX track, more stable for me over jumps and the rough. 250 2 strokes are tiring and busy, but I do love them.

Kicking a 2 stroke is fine, most 450 are electric start, they are also easy to kick, but mid race lifting them up and kicking them when you're ballocked is a pain, electric is bliss.

No need to go by age, 2.5k you won't make the newer years. All to do with the hours on the bike and maintenance. Check for any major rattles,, is it easy to start, run through all the gears, and just the usual areas that have bearings, forks etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. BTW your bloody loaded, go buy a couple of new bikes and lower that hump under your mattress

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information