1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend Me Some Textile Gear

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by MrAliT, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Me too. I'll be in Wales from 5th to 7th. Where are you headed?

2. i have both and can confirm they are indeed very good quality, especially once zipped together - not too stuffy either :thumbsup:

3. Brecon Beacons first stop for a couple of nights then west to Pembrokeshire for the same and sort of zig-zag northwards after that. Being August with lots of people holidaying at home this year I reckon B&B vacancies will be hard to come by (and I don't have a smart phone which makes finding somewhere on the hoof tricky), so I'm tenting it. Set up somewhere for a couple of days, take off the luggage and have a full day riding the best local roads unladen then shift camp and do the same thing elsewhere. That's the theory anyway.
    If everywhere is jam-packed it might be a short trip and if the weather's good I'll have another go in September when its quieter. Wanted to get away in July but couldn't get away from work.

4. Nice. Were starting from Chepstow on Friday, across to Brecon then stopping at Builth Wells for the night. Day 2 is up to Snowdon via Barmouth and day 3 is the long way back to Chepstow. There's some serious mileage on those roads (about 700) to be done so we might cut a few corners. We'll be a group of a black Speed Triple, an Orange Street Triple a Blackbird (not sure of colour) and a BMW S1000xr. Wave if you see us!

5. Gave the new Dainese a try out today. Rode through a couple of very heavy downpours. Stayed dry but slightly annoyingly, it didn't feel like I was dry. Cuffs got wet instantly but that was with the gloves over the jacket which is my habit from wearing leathers to keep the draught out. I guess with textiles it'd be better to wear jacket over the glove and tighten the cuff with the popper strap. Thermal liners were removed from both garments and I was wearing just a T shirt up top and summer base layer leggings. As soon as the rain hit I could feel the chill of it through the jacket in the crook of my arm where it hits hardest. I was sure I'd be wet there when I got off, but I wasn't. And I felt very wet around the crutch, well top of inner thigh really, where the water sits between the side of the seat and your leg. I got off and it felt like the trousers were clinging to me there and I was completely convinced there'd be a big damp patch on the grundies, but again there wasn't. Leggings and boxers were bone dry, they just felt damp and clammy.
    The temperature dropped pretty sharply when the rain started so I wonder whether in the UK if there's a day of riding ahead in what looks like being a wet one, even in summer it might be better to dispense with the base layer and refit the thermal liners to stop that clammy feeling. I wasn't planning to take the thermals with me on summer touring trips but maybe I should.
    Otherwise great fit, comfort and lightness and when its dry you can feel the cool of the wind which is nice. I think its top gear, I've just got to learn how to get the best from it. Never had textiles before.

6. Where was the invite?! ;)

7. Thought it was just us ;p

8. Starting to get a complex. Never invited on anything. Not sure if my personality or the way I ride.

9. Sorry @bradders. I was invited rather than it being my invite to make. I'd like to arrange another couple of days later in the year if you're up for it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry @bradders. I was invited rather than it being my invite to make. I'd like to arrange another couple of days later in the year if you're up for it?

11. Have you had a look at Hideout stuff, been completely dry so far in mine and had I the kit altered to suite my unique shape :)
    If your passing don't forget to do Top Gears bit of road over the Black mountains and visit the West end cafe in Llandovery

12. I dropped you guys a text as I was coming round Salisbury a week or so ago. Thought I'd pop in and say hi but didn't heard back. Have you changed your numbers?

13. Both ;-)

(I never get any invites either)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Only the one we give you :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I use Rev-It and it works in all seasons, I find it comfortable and relatively easy to use and wouldn't use anything else. Having said that, the fastenings are not the greatest and can fail and it doesn't last that long. Seems to wear out quite quickly. Gloves and boots good too. Plus variation on leg lengths, which is good. I've done 9 hours in the UK in February on the bike with just base layers and undergloves, so it seems to work in the cold for me too.

My wife uses Rukka in Spring and Autumn, because she gets colder than me. Rukka is much better quality and her suit looks like it will last forever. However, this is poorly vented and too hot in summer, so she has a Rev-It suit for that, but already on version 2, as not the same quality. Rukka is more expensive, but Rev-It not cheap. She hates the zip on the Rukka.

16. I was very dubious about the price of Rukka gear and for a many years I went with Dianese, initially their D Dry material and then 'proper' Gortex. Whilst they were good prolonged rain did start to get in after about 30mins, and as someone else said you always 'felt' wet without being wet. I had the Gator jacket (now discontinued) and matching trousers.

The fly area on the trousers was a weak link, rain seemed to be able to drive up into a gap and eventually make you wet.
    I liked the 'sliding' popper on the trousers, clever idea. But I found the liner rough on my delicate little legs in the Summer, so I always wore a base layer.

The jacket poppers were quite weak, with it done up to the top it was uncomfortable on the neck (too tight) but if you didn't do up the top button then the next one down would open if you turned your head. It also soaked up a lot of water and took a long time to dry, there was also no real ventilation and the liner added a lot of bulk.

Whilst on a tour I'd been impressed with a fellow riders Rukka suit and when I was at the bike show I looked carefully at the Rukka gear and took the plunge buying an Armaxion jacket and matching trousers (there was a deal).

Hands down best suit I've had, totally, I mean totally waterproof. We went through massive thunderstorms in France this year and I was bone dry, especially with the extra neck tube they supply. The fly on the trousers has a gusset which prevents water getting in. I can ride with the jacket most of the time without the liner, and with the liner I've been very comfortable at temperatures down at 4 degrees C.

Downsides: It is a bit hot in the Summer, but the vents work pretty well. When I tour in Southern Europe I just take a mesh jacket and mesh gloves which solves the heat issues (I found mesh trousers just as hot, if not hotter).
    The jacket pockets are rather small and fiddly to open with gloves on, and I'd like another pocket on the trousers. But that it...

I ride nearly all year round most days and have been very impressed. Yes it's expensive, but it does work.

17. :upyeah: Guys,
    I do appreciate that this is something of an oldish thread and whilst I've read every reply, even those with nothing whatsoever to do with textile clothing, I'm seriously looking to 'take the plunge' with Rukka Armaxis Jacket & Armaxion matching trousers, BUT.....:Nailbiting:
    Whilst I don't doubt the quality, I'm unsure about the fit and with often travelling into Europe in the hotter weather, I'm concerned about the venting characteristics and comfort in these conditions.

I currently own Halvarssons, which I have to say, I can't really fault, great fit, quality and functionality, generally all round excellent, but I'm looking for something different, if rather more expensive than I would usually choose.

:Arghh: So also having tried a Dainese Carve-Master jacket and matching trousers whilst in Scotland last summer, which I found reasonably good, but lacking in an acceptable level of quality control, as sleeve zips were defective and they became pretty grubby on the upper sleeves after only circa 750 miles. They were useless on the cuffs and outer pockets when in severe rain for even a relatively short time, hence returned to Sports Bike Shop, who were and always are brilliant with their support, as such I won't be opting for this particular range.

I'm looking to be convinced about the Rukka potential, so any views would be really helpful, if anyone has a bit of time and awareness of this gear.

Regards
    TonyMN :cool:

18. @TonyMNo1 Have you checked out Hideouts kit yet, they have a made to measure facility. And the quality of the kit makes me feel I might be as well looked after in this, as my leather's, should I have the misfortune to slide up the road.

19. As I said before, Rukka is the best fabric kit there is, but I find it too hot for Spain, France & Italy in July & August, which is what I do, so I've never used it. I'm general OK in cold-ish weather and I can't justify multiple fabric suits, so I've not gone there as my suit lasts me OK for the cold weather stuff I do. However, my wife has a Rukka suit, as she gets very cold, but even she finds it too hot in summer so has a Rev-It suit just for the summer. Her Rukka suit is brilliant when weather is a bit off, doesn't leak, seems to lasts for ever, is comfortable (although she finds sizing difficult, as she is a bit short). Quality is great and the only thing she doesn't like is that there aren't enough pockets and the thing they use instead of a zip is irritating. If it fits (make sure you try on first), it should be good and will go the distance. In Scotland - recommended. In Spain, in August, I would say get something else.

I reckon the Rev-It suits last four years, whereas the Rukka should go for at least 10. Not much use to you if you're too hot....

#59 Arson, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  20. :upyeah: Guys,
    Thanks for the replies really appreciated and helpful.
    After considerable thought and advice seeking, away from the advice offered here as well, I've decided against going for Rukka. In all likelihood it's simply going to be too hot for summer riding, in the UK and when I head abroad, from time to time.:Bawling:
    Instead I've opted for a Danes set-up, going for their Goretex-Pro range, the Sealand jacket + Lyngby trousers, ordered from the terrific SBS outlet, which will save me circa £300-400 in any event.;)
    I'm expecting delivery of them next week, so once received, I'll give some feedback.
    Thanks for the help :Meh:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information